very nice job lately guys | The Boneyard

very nice job lately guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
on twitter. for those who don't like this just stop reading now. the past couple commits have had alot of warn retweets and comments from the fanbase. its great to show were a live and well rpogram. this has also started to pump up alot of our already commits. several of them were apart of the pack to welcome lagow. thats cool stuff. thats family and we need to keep that up and build on it. the more the better guys. when kids commit to texas or nd or bama they get 100's of ppl all over them. were not texas but we can be uconn and that starts with our fans in the offseason giving a dam and showing these kids some love. the past couple days was a great example of what we can and should do. keep it up!

this board is starting to come along. i'm going to to alot of updates soon on the threads and clean them up also.

Reaction Score
I agree 110%. I loved seeing all the UCONN love on twitter when Lagow committed, from both current players and fans.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Not to throw a wet blanket on things - but isn't that frowned upon by the NCAA?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i wrote to leave it alone if its not your thing lol

i fear that a good % of this fanbase is never going to get it. as we build and become more big time we need to start acting like it as a fanbase and i can see a # of ppl here and on other sites that are getting it and joining in. some 1 down in miami just paid for a players abortion and up in ohio another player just got a tat but yet here in ct ppl are afraid to to send a tweet or something. chesus. schools are breaking rules a million times worse than a fan like me sending a tweet. other big time schools have 100's that parade the internets after kids, yet 50 guys in ct are to good for it. unreal. get in the game or just watch, dont hate or question it.

But its nocreepy for u to slap him high five when he gets off the bus heading into the rent?

Thank u carl

How are those two things similar?

its illegal contact. but the ncaa could care less. just as illegal as a tweet or text if not worse. every time i slap a high five my hand has $20 in it....not really but thats my drift.

if your wondering if these efforts mean anything to the kids i have another great example. look at the pics on coggins twitter. one of them is a screenshot of a BY post giving him our fanbases support. home state love etc. it may not be worth much but its worth something. other fanbases get that and we should also.

does anyone have the eca kids on twitter found? if so we should get going on that for this weekend as a group....

Reaction Score
I really don't give a rats ass about any NCAA rule, I just think it would be creepy for a guy my age to send a 16-17 year old kid a tweet.

Reaction Score
Not to throw a wet blanket on things - but isn't that frowned upon by the NCAA?

To welcome a kid to UConn? Not sure. I'd be interested to see how the NCAA enforces it, though.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
I really don't give a rats ass about any NCAA rule, I just think it would be creepy for a guy my age to send a 16-17 year old kid a tweet.

LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Here's a good rule of thumb. When it comes to personal contact with a potential future student athlete for the uconn football program.....If you aren't actually a coach for the university of connecticut football program, or in general - don't work for the university of connecticut football program in any way, none of the contact rules that exist for the NCAA when it comes to contacts with recruits apply to you.

Support your program if you want when it comes to social media interaction, and just remember that if you're choosing to put yourself out in the world like that - twitter, etc., what you write - is going to be what people perceive of you and what you represent - so represent both UConn and yourself well.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
To welcome a kid to UConn? Not sure. I'd be interested to see how the NCAA enforces it, though.

Yeah, I don't personally have a problem with it at all. To each their own.

I just thought I remembered that recruits can't have any contact with "boosters" which I believes includes season ticket holders -which I imagine many of us are.

Like I said, not trying to be 'that guy' just that it seems the NCAA is up UConn's ass 24/7 so just want to say if people are going to do this they should probably know the full extent of the rules.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't personally have a problem with it at all. To each their own.

I just thought I remembered that recruits can't have any contact with "boosters" which I believes includes season ticket holders -which I imagine many of us are.

Like I said, not trying to be 'that guy' just that it seems the NCAA is up UConn's ass 24/7 so just want to say if people are going to do this they should probably know the full extent of the rules.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/soliciting

The NCAA defines recruiting as “any solicitation of prospective student-athletes or their parents by an institutional staff member or by a representative of the institution’s athletics interests for the purpose of securing a prospective student-athlete’s enrollment and ultimate participation in the institution’s intercollegiate athletics program.”

Yes, if you've ever purchased a ticket for a uconn sporting event, any event, any time, you are a representative of athletic interests of UConn, bythe letter of the NCAA rules, that's what everybody gts hung up on b/c of basketball, and what happened recently, but it's the soliciting part that really matters.

So if you're twittering andting with recruits, and don't want to anything up, just follow basic protocols for being a normal interactive person online, and don't be a weirdo stalker telling people you've never met or know anything about that you can't wait to see them, begging them to come to UConn, and initiate contact by send them messages about it all the time.

Congratulating a kid, online for verbally committing to UConn? Not soliciting.

Reaction Score
Fans want good players to go to their school. They let them know and that's "illegal"? Good thing the NCAA has all it's big issues squared away so they can warn players that schools might have fans who want them.

Reaction Score
on twitter. for those who don't like this just stop reading now. the past couple commits have had alot of warn retweets and comments from the fanbase. its great to show were a live and well rpogram. this has also started to pump up alot of our already commits. several of them were apart of the pack to welcome lagow. thats cool stuff. thats family and we need to keep that up and build on it. the more the better guys. when kids commit to texas or nd or bama they get 100's of ppl all over them. were not texas but we can be uconn and that starts with our fans in the offseason giving a dam and showing these kids some love. the past couple days was a great example of what we can and should do. keep it up!

this board is starting to come along. i'm going to to alot of updates soon on the threads and clean them up also.

Completely agree. Most recruits want to play for a rabid fanbase that shows much love. Other recruits who have yet to commit will see how big (or small) a fan base is through twitter. It's a new day and age. Twitter is the easiest way to show a recruit some love, it only takes a few seconds and can have a lot of positive ramifications...keep up the good work Dan

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i know some students are on here. we need u guys to lead this charge. we need to get more kids involved now more than EVER. we need to create a fanbase looking for blood 247. look at ecu for example. ppl knock that school for alot of things and u know what they dont get knocked for? being a great fanbase, because they are hungry as to get to that next level. we may not be in the same shoes as 2 schools comparison wise, but our fanbase needs to be like that. everyone grow a set and get hungry. its time this fanbase gets to the next level and ill be damed if i watch it go the opther way this summer while all this doom and gloom cr stuff gets ppl down. the next recruit we land tell your mother and all her friends about him and get loud about .

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
great job 2night also by u guys. i got on and sent out a couple lines and several of u guys joined right in. building momentum for this fanbase, keep it up. i talked to a 247 writer 2night. great guy, actually played at yale so he loves chating about ct kids. they will have several more ct kids in the database soon including newsome. we can build this media storm as a fanbase. every tweet, message and post on different sites helps. keep the train rolling!

Reaction Score
great job 2night also by u guys. i got on and sent out a couple lines and several of u guys joined right in. building momentum for this fanbase, keep it up. i talked to a 247 writer 2night. great guy, actually played at yale so he loves chating about ct kids. they will have several more ct kids in the database soon including newsome. we can build this media storm as a fanbase. every tweet, message and post on different sites helps. keep the train rolling!

You know I don't do the twitter thing, but it has become a big part of these kids lives. You and the others keep doing what you're doing.

Reaction Score
By the strict interpretation of the NCAA recruiting guidelines, it is NOT ok, because strict interpretation is such that any contact by a fan of university sports program to a recruit immediately becomes a 'booster' situation - ticket buyer, multimillion dollar booster, or just a casual fan, never been to the school and never attended anythign personally.....all the same.

It's a bunch of silliness, but it is how the rules are written right now, and how they apply to social media. It's a HUGE grey area, because there are quite literally hundreds of thousands of these kinds of 'inappropriate' contacts happening daily, and the way the rules were developed, happened when there was no social media/internet, and the kinds of perfect stranger kinds of discussions about an intercollegiate sport b/w a fan of a university and a recruit, across whatever distances and locations, would never happen.

Sooner or later, the NCAA will have to try to come up with some kind of rules, but for now...

Here's my opinions on the matter. If you're worried that you're committing some kind of NCAA violation - don't do it.

But if you are going to contact somebody via twitter,facebook, etc....no way to stop anybody from doing it, try to have some guidelines, same things you should do for contacting any stranger with a public profile that you've got an interest to contact. Respect.

The only thing that can be done, is to make sure that nothing inappropriate is happening, is to not do anyting inappropriate yourself. If you're going to follow recruits directly via these twitter,facebook things, and choose to engage in conversation - do it the same way you would if you were talking to that kid face to face, as a perfect stranger to them, and in front of their parents, coaches, and your own parents, coaches, and everybody's priest, rabbi are also watchign and listening.

As for specific things, avoid writing / discussion about specific sports, avoid begging them to come to your school. Tell them what you like about the school if you're going to talk about the school. Keep things general, nothing that could be construed as soliciting a kid to play a specific sport. Congratulations, non-sport specific conversation? That's not going to cause problems. Dont ever disrespect or write derogatory things about other kids, other schools, or directly to a recruit if they don't happen to end up at your school, or leave your school.

Huskydan - I love what you do, and you're taking the lead on this stuff promoting it, so if you're out there in twitter and facebook land, I hope you're playing traffic cop with the information you see flowing.

You are what you are perceived to be others, and a good online rep for a fan base, is a good thing to have. Be respectful, keep it general, and there will be no problems.

Reaction Score
if your wondering if these efforts mean anything to the kids i have another great example. look at the pics on coggins twitter. one of them is a screenshot of a BY post giving him our fanbases support. home state love etc. it may not be worth much but its worth something. other fanbases get that and we should also.

Again, agree 110%. If a hometown kid can feel the love from the hometown fans, I think it does play a role in them deciding to stay home or leave. I mean why stay if it feels like nobody cares?

Reaction Score
I'd like to add to this thread... I agree with my man Huskyfandan.. I gave a couple of shout outs to a couple of kids but nothing more than that... I'd advise folks to keep the contact to a minimum... A "welcome!" or "Congrats" or a "good luck"... NO QUESTIONS ...

Reaction Score
what about things that aren't questions or conversations but might be construed as interaction .... say, like pictures of BC's spring game attendance.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Fans from every school make comments ask questions to these kids why should we be different how would the NCAA prove anything. I mean a fan of any team could go on twitter and parade as a rival teams fan. There's nothing the NCAA can do about it and honestly I doubt they would even try.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Even if it was against the rules (it is), they couldn't enforce that. A fan of Rutgers could pose as a UConn fan and start begging every big recruit to come to UConn on Twitter, Facebook and message boards. He could even claim to be a booster if he had credit card receipts from purchasing tickets to a UConn football game.

Reaction Score
You guys are all 100% correct, if you ask me, an anonymous internet poster.....LOL.

The only thing you can do, is make your own choices. Keep in mind that this is not professional sports. This is a university, and a good one, and most of these public figures (recruits) are late teens and have their parents watching and reading too.

Every little action, no matter how big or small, has consequences. That's a lesson for life that you most definitely learn through competitive football.

Represent UConn well. Engaging in the petty, small brained, little d(ck, pissing contests that exist online between strangers should be above UConn people, if you ask me. A strong, powerful, and respectful attitude can be very easily projected online by our fanbase, but all it takes is one axxhole to knock it down with some stupid sexist, racist, slanderous, idiotic remark that most likely would not ever be made face to face with another person.

Behave online, like you would talking to people face to face, and in front of a crowd of people and family watching and judging you, and it's easy to avoid.

THat's the power of the internet.

P.S. Just look at the reputation that Boston College fans that have developed online, if you don't understand what I"mt alking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom