Very cool: Stanford and Cal players come together to support LBGT inclusion in sports | The Boneyard

Very cool: Stanford and Cal players come together to support LBGT inclusion in sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Quote from Kokenis - "Silence isn't equal to acceptance … This isn't about making athletes come out, it's about fostering an environment where it doesn't matter. We need to deal with it, instead of pretending it doesn't exist."

That is an incredibly eloquent and well said quote from one so young.

Kokenis said she feels the Stanford campus has always been an accepting, inclusive place, but found the athletic department can be a place where silence was fostered instead.

I did find that particular line surprising given the Stanford WCBB staff...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Kokenis said she feels the Stanford campus has always been an accepting, inclusive place, but found the athletic department can be a place where silence was fostered instead.

I did find that particular line surprising given the Stanford WCBB staff...
Well it could be kind of like (I think) UCONN staff is (would be). I get the feeling they don't talk about stuff like that because they feel it's none of their business. Doesn't have anything to do with basketball. That might be considered "silence fostered", but really just doesn't have anything to do with basketball. Besides Geno and Kathy, we never hear anything about the other coaches. Boyfriends, girlfriends, husbands, wives, significant others. Probably similar to religion. No Jesus in the huddle. We know Geno is Catholic, but he doesn't really ever talk about it.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
We don't hear anything, but supposedly from the rumors that have swirled around over the years, the recruits do hear some things.

Wonder if this will spark some other teams to get together for the LGBT cause. I'm not holding any breath for Baylor and Iowa State holding any event.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Meyers - well put. I also think Uconn runs a bit of training in dealing with the media and fans and that could include something along the lines of 'Remember that you are very much in the public eye here and anything you say will be recorded and reported. We recommend that you limit the amount of personal information you provide for your own safety. Just make sure anything you do share is something you want published.'
That could be construed as fostering silence, but I think it is good advice and definitely not aimed at any single subject, but a general rule for personal safety.

Reaction Score
We know Geno is Catholic, but he doesn't really ever talk about it.
Except in his pep talk to the team before a 2001 Easter game, when he said Ashja would roll back the stone and Swin would arise (as retold in The Same River Twice).

How could Geno resist that opportunity? :)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I have a feeling that the difference between "silence" and "acceptance" might not be obvious to fans; rather it is the experience within / inside the group I think she is talking about. As she said, it isn't about making folks come out.

And to a second point raised above, I am a great believer that private lives are, to be blunt, private lives. I really never cared, and don't understand why folks do care, who someone they don't know personally is dating. Sure, its cute when the BB player is dating a star FB player (we had that twice at RU), but quite honestly I didn't need to know.

When Tasha Pointer got married, she chose a public ceremony open to fans if they wished. She married a team manager from when she was a player. Before the engagement, no idea that she was dating anyone, and no desire to know. I always thought that was a neat way to combine being a public figure and your privacy. I happen to think Rebecca Lobo does it very well, as does Kara Lawson, both of whom have somewhat high profile husbands.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I have a feeling that the difference between "silence" and "acceptance" might not be obvious to fans; rather it is the experience within / inside the group I think she is talking about. As she said, it isn't about making folks come out.

And to a second point raised above, I am a great believer that private lives are, to be blunt, private lives. I really never cared, and don't understand why folks do care, who someone they don't know personally is dating. Sure, its cute when the BB player is dating a star FB player (we had that twice at RU), but quite honestly I didn't need to know.

When Tasha Pointer got married, she chose a public ceremony open to fans if they wished. She married a team manager from when she was a player. Before the engagement, no idea that she was dating anyone, and no desire to know. I always thought that was a neat way to combine being a public figure and your privacy. I happen to think Rebecca Lobo does it very well, as does Kara Lawson, both of whom have somewhat high profile husbands.

First off, thanks for letting me join the Boneyard. I'm a South Carolina fan who has followed women's basketball since I was in high school and, obviously, UCONN is the type of program we all strive to achieve, which is why I'm interested in what you guys discuss on this board.

As a gay man, I can tell you how important it is to teenagers and young adults that they have public role models to whom they can relate. I admire Cal and Stanford for making an inclusive statement and think it is tremendously important.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
First off, thanks for letting me join the Boneyard. I'm a South Carolina fan who has followed women's basketball since I was in high school and, obviously, UCONN is the type of program we all strive to achieve, which is why I'm interested in what you guys discuss on this board.

As a gay man, I can tell you how important it is to teenagers and young adults that they have public role models to whom they can relate. I admire Cal and Stanford for making an inclusive statement and think it is tremendously important.
Greetings! UConn WCBB has certainly had its representation in the LGBT community, but whether the program will ever be involved in any such events as the Stanford\Cal one is something for the future to decide. My guess is that it will become more common in certain parts of the country that do not include the south or adjoining midwest areas.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Greetings! UConn WCBB has certainly had its representation in the LGBT community, but whether the program will ever be involved in any such events as the Stanford\Cal one is something for the future to decide. My guess is that it will become more common in certain parts of the country that do not include the south or adjoining midwest areas.

Thank you, much. Connecticut is a pretty liberal state, so I can't imagine it being much of an issue there. As for South Carolina, it wouldn't be an issue in Columbia, but it might be in other parts of the state.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The Uconn women already did the BTS kick off tour of champions PSA back in October:
http://www.btstourofchampions.org/portfolio/uconn/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01