USSF banning headers in youth soccer | The Boneyard

USSF banning headers in youth soccer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm sure by now many of you have heard this story. I'm still split on this issue. As a former U10 AYSO coach I noticed the young kids rarely head anyways (except on goalie punts since the ball rarely gets in the air) but there's no doubt that heading is absolutely integral to the game. Just wondering what your thoughts are.

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
I also coached youths for many years. In my experience - most kids (I coached boys and girls at different times) don't want any part of heading a ball for a few years of playing.
However - as a coach, I made sure to instruct them on two main points - 1- Go and meet the ball - do not let it meet you, and 2 - Hit it with the crown of your forehead, not the top or side of your head (flicks and redirections with the side or back of your head can come later).
I also ensured that I taught the art of a fake header (feigning to head the ball, but having it drop to your chest for control)

Overall - I agree with the intent to ban heading at the ages that they suggest - too many coaches don't teach (or know) proper heading techniques.

Reaction Score
I am torn on this as I understand how dangerous concussions are; but, in my own experience, with proper technique, no one should be getting concussions from heading the ball. The 3 concussions I got from soccer were from a knee to the head (playing keeper on a loose ball), and 2 blindside shots to the side to head (one playing keeper on an indoor team with the ball rebounding off the board into my temple and the other when I also got hit in the temple when I inadvertently turned into a shot while marking a player in defense).
We actually don’t use keepers until grades U8 in my town due to the higher risk of injury, especially on a scramble the kids will keep kicking at the ball all day long and their kicks are usually not well aimed.

Not sure what the answer is.

My concern here is that USSF seems to be acting due to the threat of lawsuits instead of looking into the issue and trying to fix it.

Reaction Score
I am torn on this as I understand how dangerous concussions are; but, in my own experience, with proper technique, no one should be getting concussions from heading the ball. The 3 concussions I got from soccer were from a knee to the head (playing keeper on a loose ball), and 2 blindside shots to the side to head (one playing keeper on an indoor team with the ball rebounding off the board into my temple and the other when I also got hit in the temple when I inadvertently turned into a shot while marking a player in defense).

We actually don’t use keepers until grades U8 in my town due to the higher risk of injury, especially on a scramble the kids will keep kicking at the ball all day long and their kicks are usually not well aimed.

Not sure what the answer is.

My concern here is that USSF seems to be acting due to the threat of lawsuits instead of looking into the issue and trying to fix it.

Reaction Score
I have 9 year old boy/girl twins that play travel soccer (U10 (where is the time going?!)). They are both on B flight teams in a decent (not top) league. The girls (who I coached before my daughter moved to a different team) want nothing to do with heading balls that have any pace. They'll head a throw-in (and most would be happy not to), but they aren't going near a keeper punt. The boys, however, are already using solid technique with their head. They'll still trap a punt if they can, but they'll head punts, back-flick headers, and we've had a number of header goals off crosses this year (for and against us).

I'm a bit torn on the header issue. I don't want my kids to get hurt, and my son almost lost a couple teeth when a kid came underneath and butted him in the mouth on a 50/50 (hospital) ball. Thankfully he just spit some blood and felt tough. But it's going to be frustrating to the kids and will stunt later development. I also think that you're going to see a lot more high kicks that may have just as much impact on concussions. I've read that USSF is against the use of head protection because it makes kids more reckless and leads to additional concussions. This may have a similar impact. Finally, allowing them to head in practice, but not in games is going to lead to lots of problems and penalties.

I also hate what USSF is doing with the youth age groups. I'm taking this off topic a bit, and I know this board is more pro soccer oriented, but I think they are hurting youth soccer going forward. In an attempt to make the US more competitive internationally, they are changing from school year age groups to calendar year. This is going to result in kids born in August - December being moved up a year. My issues are:
  • teams that have been together for a number of years will be broken up,
  • One goal of youth soccer is to build a team that will be together for years and play together in high school. We have some elite (expensive) clubs by us, but most clubs are in a town or group of towns that funnel to the same high school. This will split them up.
  • when those older kids are in 8th grade they may be without a club team prior to high school, and
  • Purely social, it's breaking up friends that enjoy playing together.
None of these are deal breakers for a rule change, but the only counter I've heard is that they use calendar years in international competition and that getting rid of the older kids will benefit younger. First, 99.9% of kids will never do anything international, and the other argument is really stupid (you "get rid" of August - December, but pick up the younger August - December... someone has to be the youngest). For the record, my kids have a February birthday, so this isn't sour grapes. If anything, my kids will get a bit more competitive because very often, the best players are the older kids. I just don't see how this is good for US youth soccer. USSF is telling leagues this has to be in place by August 2016 with no grandfathering. Our club is still trying to figure out the best move. A few clubs plan on moving all of their kids up (so a current 05/06 team would move up the January to July kids and play as an 05 team next year).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
A couple things on this. One, I hardly ever seen 8, 9, 10 year olds heading the ball. So no real change from that aspect. Except from a Laws perspective, what if a player does head it? Dangerous Play??

Limiting heading in practice, how they gonna enforce that?

Protecting kids. Most head injuries/concussions come from head to head, head to ground, elbow to head, ball to head on hard kick (in a wall, etc.). None of those are affected by this change. This change seems more like a "stop the lawsuit" "feelgood" type of change without any real benefit to the kids.

Reaction Score
I don't love it. So instead of emphasizing the importance of coaches teaching kids the correct and safe way to head a ball at an early age the USSF just said screw it, no heading the ball. If they're that concerned, enforce the kids wearing soft/padded headgear similar to Peter Czech or some rugby players wear. I don't have kids and don't coach, so am not as close to the situation, just seems like a bit much to me.

Reaction Score
I don't love it. So instead of emphasizing the importance of coaches teaching kids the correct and safe way to head a ball at an early age the USSF just said screw it, no heading the ball. If they're that concerned, enforce the kids wearing soft/padded headgear similar to Peter Czech or some rugby players wear. I don't have kids and don't coach, so am not as close to the situation, just seems like a bit much to me.

The two issues here are 1) lawsuits, which is what drove to USSF to this decision and 2) lack of cohesive, across the board training for coaches. Even in my town's rec league, some coaches have high school experience, like myself, and can teach proper heading technique and others do not. I would like to see USSF invest more in coaching the coaches; but, admittedly, most youth coaches have day jobs, families, etc. and coach out of love for the game, spend time with their kids, get volunteered to coach soccer after coaching other sports (I'm the reverse here, which explains why I coach basketball). Thus, money and especially time are limited. Thus, for rec leagues coached by volunteers, I think a ban on heading until age 9/10 is OK in light of quality of coaching. For competitive leagues (public or private) who have trained coaches, then, let them use their judgement to allow or not.

Reaction Score
Good, now put 1 ball each with far fewer players, far fewer clueless coaches, no %#@% super U-# teams in a much smaller space (field, lot, whatever), and actually let 'em learn to play the sport with their £*€#¥ feet - both of 'em!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't love it. So instead of emphasizing the importance of coaches teaching kids the correct and safe way to head a ball at an early age the USSF just said screw it, no heading the ball.
Don't think they said that. I think they said what do we need to do to make this lawsuit go away. The parents and lawyers knowing nothing about the sport agreed to something that will not really affect the sport at the ages involved nor do much to limit head injuries. And the lawsuit goes away. USSF is off the hook.

Reaction Score
The USSF story made the local paper here in North Jersey and we are already getting questions even though the season just ended. Thus, the Rec commissioner and the coaches will be meeting this winter to figure out what to do. Leaning towards splitting rec from competitive above age 9/10 and the certifying the competitive coaches to teach proper heading (and other skills).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom