USG Votes To Make UConn A Sanctuary City | The Boneyard

USG Votes To Make UConn A Sanctuary City

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
USG votes to make UConn a sanctuary city

Undergraduate Student Government voted Wednesday night to work toward establishing the University of Connecticut as a sanctuary city, meaning the university would not cooperate with federal law if deportations of undocumented students occurred.

The issue of deportation has been widely discussed both at the university and at the national level since Donald Trump won the presidential election on Nov. 8. Deportations of undocumented immigrants was one of the major promises of his campaign.

Several students attended the undergraduate student senate meeting to speak on the legislation, including undocumented immigrants who helped organize a rally on campus in response to the presidential election last Wednesday.

“I do not want to hear a comment saying that we’re stealing jobs or we are receiving benefits and this and that but the reality is that we don’t get any of those things. We have never received government help or social benefits,” Joseline Tlacomulco, an undocumented student activist, said.

USG President Dan Byrd, who co-authored the bill, said the next step is gaining more student support and meeting with administration and bringing the idea of a sanctuary city to their attention.

“We want this to be endorsed by University Senate and by the Graduate Student Senate... The other step is to bring the legislation along with Lauren [Oldziej, CLAS Senator and coauthor of the bill] and myself and undocumented student to meetings with President Herbst, to meetings with the police, to meetings with the Dean of Students, with admissions,” Byrd said.

Byrd said the bill’s passage is a building block for further action.

“It goes beyond just passing this. We now have to have the conversation,” Byrd said.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
So UConn students want to actively defy federal law and risk losing federal funding. Good luck with that.

Reaction Score
It's a symbolic gesture. If it's not legally allowable then it won't happen. The people they are supporting are student illegal immigrants who have lived in this country since they were very small children and don't know a life outside of the United States. They are young men and women who have excelled enough to attend a University as good as UConn and that is commendable considering the decks were undoubtedly stacked against them their entire lives.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Judging from the comments on the Boneyard, I thought most of the students were undocumented.

Reaction Score
Supporting Undocumented Students at UConn - UConn Today

>>Sanctuary Campus - There have been calls for universities to designate themselves as “sanctuary” campuses or cities. Though the term has been defined and interpreted in many different ways, as a state agency, UConn does not have the authority to unilaterally apply this designation to itself. The University must adhere to state and federal law. Because of the limits on the University’s authority, designating our campuses as “sanctuaries” may be misleading to the very students we are seeking to support.

However, the policies we adhere to are more important than the label we apply; UConn’s policies and practices described above speak directly to the fundamental aspects of being a “sanctuary” location. UConn is doing those things which are the essential elements of the sanctuary policies that have been adopted in several large U.S. cities. Those elements include: law enforcement policies that do not question the immigration status of those who seek police assistance, law enforcement not detaining individuals based on civil immigration holds, confidentiality of records that include immigration status, and the issuance of photographic identification to facilitate access to services.<<

FillTheRent

College football lives in Connecticut
Reaction Score
So my tax dollars are going to support a university and police department that refuses to enforce the laws of our country. What are they thinking? Sounds like President Herbst wants to be part of the legislative process. I hope the next time UCONN or the State of Connecticut requests federal assistance they get denied.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
In some ways, this is just common sense.

A university cannot act as an extension of federal law enforcement. It's just beyond their scope.

Conversely, they cannot impede law enforcement. If a student is arrested in relation to their status, that is their issue and the university should not be involved. If they're arrested for any other reason by campus police and the law requires that immigration officials be notified, then that law should be followed. (I do not know if such a law exists.)

The idea that a university should be able to pick and choose which laws it follows is off the GD wall.

Reaction Score
In some ways, this is just common sense.

A university cannot act as an extension of federal law enforcement. It's just beyond their scope.

Conversely, they cannot impede law enforcement. If a student is arrested in relation to their status, that is their issue and the university should not be involved. If they're arrested for any other reason by campus police and the law requires that immigration officials be notified, then that law should be followed. (I do not know if such a law exists.)

The idea that a university should be able to pick and choose which laws it follows is off the GD wall.

There is nothing common sense about it. Let's not pretend this is a victimless crime. Illegals are denying highly sought after slots in the university to deserving Connecticut citizens and legal immigrants. They are stealing opportunities from kids who have earned them and have the right to them.

The university has a police department. It has a duty to act in concert with state and federal police and authorities.

In addition, since the university receives funding from federal sources, it has an obligation to follow federal law. That would be common sense.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Illegals are denying highly sought after slots in the university to deserving Connecticut citizens and legal immigrants. They are stealing opportunities from kids who have earned them and have the right to them.

Any stats on this? I've got a high school senior waiting to hear her admission decision from UConn and am curious what the facts are to support this.

Reaction Score
Any stats on this? I've got a high school senior waiting to hear her admission decision from UConn and am curious what the facts are to support this.

Undocumented Students

The last number I saw was that there are approximately 200 total undocumented students at UConn. I cannot find the source article though, so take it with a grain of salt

Reaction Score
If they pay 100% of their tuition, R&B and fees then fine. If they want a penny of aid take a hike.

It's a symbolic gesture. If it's not legally allowable then it won't happen. The people they are supporting are student illegal immigrants who have lived in this country since they were very small children and don't know a life outside of the United States. They are young men and women who have excelled enough to attend a University as good as UConn and that is commendable considering the decks were undoubtedly stacked against them their entire lives.

Reaction Score
If they pay 100% of their tuition, R&B and fees then fine. If they want a penny of aid take a hike.

I agree with this. I don't think they should be getting any financial aid outside of scholarships they earn on their own.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I agree with this. I don't think they should be getting any financial aid outside of scholarships they earn on their own.
I don't think they should even get in. 200 US citizens that worked their butts off to get in were passed over. If you or I went to Mexico (where 52% of illegal immigrants come from) illegally, we would be thrown in prison. I don't think they should be thrown in prison, they should just go home (wherever that may be).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think they should even get in. 200 US citizens that worked their butts off to get in. If you or I went to Mexico (where 52% of illegal immigrants come from) illegally, we would be thrown in prison. I don't think they should be thrown in prison, they should just go home (wherever that may be).

Most of them have lived here since before they could walk. It's not like these are 18 year olds crossing the border to go to college. They don't have any memories of their birth country and they didn't have a choice to leave. Keeping them out of colleges and Universities is the worst possible thing you could do. These are people trying to make their and their families lives better by bettering themselves. We should be encouraging this, otherwise you end up with more gangs and poverty.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Most of them have lived here since before they could walk. It's not like these are 18 year olds crossing the border to go to college. They don't have any memories of their birth country and they didn't have a choice to leave. Keeping them out of colleges and Universities is the worst possible thing you could do. These are people trying to make their and their families lives better by bettering themselves. We should be encouraging this, otherwise you end up with more gangs and poverty.
As it stands we have too many people in the US with college degrees and no jobs. Having illegal immigrants go to college here further dilutes the talent pool taking more jobs from US citizens. The truth is that it is their parent's fault but they will have to pay for it. We don't have to worry about separating families in these cases because everyone is here illegally. The end does not justify the means. Trying to make a better life for your family should not include actively breaking the law.

Reaction Score
As it stands we have too many people in the US with college degrees and no jobs. Having illegal immigrants go to college here further dilutes the talent pool taking more jobs from US citizens. The truth is that it is their parent's fault but they will have to pay for it. We don't have to worry about separating families in these cases because everyone is here illegally. The end does not justify the means. Trying to make a better life for your family should not include actively breaking the law.
The sins of the father are not the sins of his son

It's amazing to me how you lack any sort of empathy whatsoever. No wonder Donald Trump is president, we have selfish uneducated morons like yourself who don't have the mental capacity for compassion. There is no practical difference between someone who was brought over here at 6mos old and yourself who was born here. You just think there is because you need a lower class to bash and blame your problems on

shizzle787

Reaction Score
The sins of the father are not the sins of his son

It's amazing to me how you lack any sort of empathy whatsoever. No wonder Donald Trump is president, we have selfish uneducated morons like yourself who don't have the mental capacity for compassion. There is no practical difference between someone who was brought over here at 6mos old and yourself who was born here. You just think there is because you need a lower class to bash and blame your problems on
Never go full uconndoit. I have no problems, but I am a perfectionist. The US should be for US citizens, that is government's role: to protect US citizens. Illegal immigrants that go to college are more like middle class. This has nothing to do with empathy. This has to do with right and wrong. It is up to them to make the moral choice and go back to their place of birth.

Reaction Score
Never go full uconndoit. I have no problems, but I am a perfectionist. The US should be for US citizens, that is government's role: to protect US citizens. Illegal immigrants that go to college are more like middle class. This has nothing to do with empathy. This has to do with right and wrong. It is up to them to make the moral choice and go back to their place of birth.

lmao. You think someone has a moral obligation that as soon as they find out they are here illegally they should uproot their life and go to a country they know nothing about and start a completely different life? Your moral compass is broken, a22hole. Stupid fascist.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom