USA vs Estonia Streaming Now 8 AM | The Boneyard

USA vs Estonia Streaming Now 8 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Must have changed courts as Germany vs Hungary switched courts right before game started

USA leads 5-3 after 2 minutes. Katie is playing

USA leads 8-5 6 1/2 minutes left

USA leads 11-7 4 1/2 minutes left Estonia doing great on boards

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Must have changed courts as Germany vs Hungary switched courts right before game started
I think you are right. It seems like they are making changes to show USA games.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA wins 21-12 with 28 seconds left in the game. Toughest match up although score doesn't indicate that. Estonia great on the boards and played physical. USA has scored 21 points in all 11 games they've played

Stats: http://www.nanjing2014.org/en/en_sports/GamestimeResults.htm

USA will play Hungary in the semi-finals. Like Estonia they should play Team USA tough

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Worst shooting game by the USA so far. Part of that might have been the defense but the USA was just missing a lot of shots they normally make. 4 of 9 from the free throw line ?? 2 of 11 from behind the arc. 15 of 37 overall from the floor.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Game Organizers won't get what they wanted. Netherlands Group A Winner beat China

Reaction Score
I don't know if this helps explain the shooting, but I checked weather in Nanjing after hearing announcers mentioned how tired the players were due in part to weather. Yesterday the high was 90 with 80+% humidity at times. Today was better. I think it was 84 with 80% humidity around game time.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA vs Hungary Semi Final Game is scheduled for 6 AM Eastern tomorrow

Spain vs Netherlands scheduled for 5:30 AM

Three teams from Group A are in the semi-finals. Only USA makes it from Group B

Reaction Score
But they got the USA's game on live stream. Right before the start of the Hungary vs Germany game, an organizer, carrying a clipboard, walked over to court #1 and told Hungary and Germany to play on the other court. That allowed the USA game to be streamed live. Thank You

Reaction Score
Rough games for Collier and especially KLS.
Yes it was. KLS lost her player a few times, allowing them to take open 3's.
Belgium lost which leaves the USA as the only team left from Pool B.
The Netherlands will be our toughest competition. The only way the USA will lose to one of the other teams is if they go completely cold from the outside.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Been reluctant to criticize players. However, KLS needs to improve her defense or play predominately as a three or four at the next level. Both in this tournament and U17 tournament she's had trouble playing defense against opposing guards. It also could be the ankle that's bothering her and that's the primary reason she has trouble on defense. With that said don't see her playing guard at UConn, so it may not be an issue, except to stay out of Geno's doghouse.

Yes it was. KLS lost her player a few times, allowing them to take open 3's.
Belgium lost which leaves the USA as the only team left from Pool B.
The Netherlands will be our toughest competition. The only way the USA will lose to one of the other teams is if they go completely cold from the outside.

HGN

Reaction Score
Wbbfan, KLS will mprove her defense or stay in Geno's doghouse. And get no pt. She will be pushed in practice and embarrassed if she lets her player get by her too often. Geno and CD will be all over her.

She is going to be just fine I think.

Reaction Score
Oh for god's sake none of this high school kids know how to play defense. KLS will learn just like every other player. And no, she won't be defending guards in college.
3/3

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Speculating on the defensive skills of high school and their future in college ball borders on insanity.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Icebear said:
Speculating on the defensive skills of high school and their future in college ball borders on insanity.

And they're coming to take me away haha they're coming to take me away ho ho he he ha ha....

Any Dr. Demento lovers out there?

Reaction Score
Interesting. Let's say a player takes 10 free throws and misses all of them or takes 10 open shots from 10 feet away and misses all of those, I don't think anyone here would object if that performance was described as a "bad shooting game" However, if the same player allows the opponent she is guarding to score on uncontested shots, that is not allowed to be described as playing "bad defense in the game". Why is that ? Inquiring people here at the funny farm demand to know ! :confused:

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Interesting. Let's say a player takes 10 free throws and misses all of them or takes 10 open shots from 10 feet away and misses all of those, I don't think anyone here would object if that performance was described that as a "bad shooting game" However, if the same player allows the opponent she is guarding to score on uncontested shots, that is not allowed to be described as playing "bad defense in the game". Why is that ? Inquiring people here at the funny farm demand to know ! :confused:

Young players are taught how to shoot and score. That's what they spend their time doing. There's no defense played in AAU tournaments and little played at the HS level. Players are taught how to play defense in college and some actually learn how to play it. Plus, 3x3 is like streetball with no team or help defense. Posters are certainly allowed to criticize the lack of defense played by high school players but I don't think it has much meaning.

Reaction Score
Young players are taught how to shoot and score. That's what they spend their time doing. There's no defense played in AAU tournaments and little played at the HS level. Players are taught how to play defense in college and some actually learn how to play it. Plus, 3x3 is like streetball with no team or help defense. Posters are certainly allowed to criticize the lack of defense played by high school players but I don't think it has much meaning.

Ok. But does making 10 0f 10 from 3 the 3 pt. line or missing 10 layups in a row have "much meaning" ? My point was that conclusions/opinions/statements are made everyday about a player's shooting skills but mention bad defense and your described as "borderline insane". HGN, Wbbfan1 and I were, evidently, all watching the same game this morning and came to the same conclusion. That there was a player whose defense was not on the same level as that of her teammates in that game. I happen to think that if conclusions can be drawn from a players shooting performance (and they are), they can also be drawn from a players defensive performance. This is not to say said player can't improve defensively, just that they did not play well on defense in the game watched.
BTW. My son played center for his AAU team and they ran defensive drills at every practice.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Ok. But does making 10 0f 10 from 3 the 3 pt. line or missing 10 layups in a row have "much meaning" ? My point was that conclusions/opinions/statements are made everyday about a player's shooting skills but mention bad defense and your described as "borderline insane". HGN, Wbbfan1 and I were, evidently, all watching the same game this morning and came to the same conclusion. That there was a player whose defense was not on the same level as that of her teammates in that game. I happen to think that if conclusions can be drawn from a players shooting performance (and they are), they can also be drawn from a players defensive performance. This is not to say said player can't improve defensively, just that they did not play well on defense in the game watched.
BTW. My son played center for his AAU team and they ran defensive drills at every practice.

My point was responding to the posts talking about Geno's doghouse as if her defensive play in this tournament suggests she'll struggle playing team defense at UConn. There was some reference to KLS not defending guards when at UConn. Do we need this tournament to tell us that? How often is 6-3 KLS going to be defending guards one-on-one at UConn? Can we let the kid graduate from HS before we're talking about putting her in Geno's doghouse?

I'll stop posting on this topic because I have yet to watch one of these 3x3 games largely because the results (offensively and defensively) don't have much meaning to me. That's me. Others feel differently and that's what makes this board great.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
And all this while playing injured. I would say its a scary thought that she is even playing and doing what she is doing. Whats worse giving up a 3 or letting your man go backdoor like Collier, Boykin and even Ogunbowale have done. The 3 is a low percentage shot in my book, i'd give up the 3. USA is sitting her for a reason and if you watch she is tentatively placing that foot!! Its funny that you bring up guarding a 3 and yet you don't notice the other players letting their opponents drive by them to the basket.

Defense is about percentages and angles, knowing the tendencies of your opponent, playing within the teams defensive scheme, all of which when KLS is at full strength she is very adept due to her hi basketball IQ.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I said KLS wouldn't be defending guards at UConn, so her defense may not be an issue. However with that said I've watched KLS extensively in this tournament and in the U17 tournament and the weakest part of her game is defense. Just like it was for Stewart and most players who come to UConn or for that matter any HS player making a collegiate team. KLS will have to improve that part of her game or otherwise she will be in Geno's Doghouse. Just a fact of life if you're going to play at UConn. Will she be in Geno's doghouse, who knows, but I suspect not as she's too competitive and I'm sure she knows what parts of her game she needs to improve upon to be the best she can be. That's one of the reasons why she chose Geno and UConn.

BTW there is a great amount of defense played during 3 x 3 games and on this team KLS is the worse defender. She even has trouble guarding players similar to her size. However, I contribute that to her ankle injury which I'm sure is limiting her mobility.

My point was responding to the posts talking about Geno's doghouse as if her defensive play in this tournament suggests she'll struggle playing team defense at UConn. There was some reference to KLS not defending guards when at UConn. Do we need this tournament to tell us that? How often is 6-3 KLS going to be defending guards one-on-one at UConn? Can we let the kid graduate from HS before we're talking about putting her in Geno's doghouse?

I'll stop posting on this topic because I have yet to watch one of these 3x3 games largely because the results (offensively and defensively) don't have much meaning to me. That's me. Others feel differently and that's what makes this board great.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Agree and disagree. I have watched all of the games and she is definitely suffering from the injury but my question is whats the other 3 players problem. They have all lost their man, been beat backdoor, given up 3s, They are hesitant on screen switches and often out of position. By that I mean when their player is on the weak side they guard and let them go baseline and wing toward the basket when their teammates are middle.

Reaction Score
And all this while playing injured. I would say its a scary thought that she is even playing and doing what she is doing. Whats worse giving up a 3 or letting your man go backdoor like Collier, Boykin and even Ogunbowale have done. The 3 is a low percentage shot in my book, i'd give up the 3. USA is sitting her for a reason and if you watch she is tentatively placing that foot!!

You realize that the only way the USA gets beat in this tournament is if an opponent gets hot from behind the arc. The USA will not get beat frequently enough in either one on one or posting down low situations to lose the game. Our players are too good and too tall, compared to their opponents, to let that happen here. However, because shots behind the arc are worth more than in regular basketball in comparison to a regular field goal (3 pts - 2 pts in a 5x5 game, 2 pts to 1 pt in a 3x3 game for shots behind the arc vs regular field goals), it makes defending those long shots even more important. If one team can make just 7 of 20 (35%) from behind the arc in 3x3 that would be the equivalent of making 14 of 20 (70%) from inside the arc. That's the scenario that would worry me the most.
If the USA is sitting her for a reason and she is "tentatively placing that foot" than you agree that she hasn't been as mobile as she usually is and that it is effecting her defense. Welcome aboard.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Of course but my point is that giving up a lay up and being late causing an And 1 is worse. You play percentages, Estonia, if you look at their prior games are not a good outside shooting team, especially from behind the arc. In fact very few of the teams are good from the outside, most drive trying for the And1.

When playing to a scouting report the players will be told to go over or under on a screen depending on the shooting percentage and tendency of their opponent. A coach will live with an odd 3 if the player follows the scouting report as "sh## happens".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom