USA Today ranks us 92 (link) | The Boneyard

USA Today ranks us 92 (link)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Funniest sounding line was in regards to receivers. "Overall, this group will not strike fear into American defenders". The use of American to describe the AAC and its teans/players just sounds silly to me.

Overall, fair right up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I swear they got some of this info from the BY. This little blurb from TDH:

2012 RECAP
In a nutshell: Vanilla has too much flavor for UConn. What do the Huskies get for dessert? We'll have the plain, the Huskies say, and in a cup, please, not a cone. It's just so boring: UConn is just so, so boring. What else do you call a team that lost four games when allowing 19 or fewer points? A team with all the offensive ingenuity of Madden '92 – dive, dive, off-tackle, dive, post? An offense without any sense of direction? A coaching staff with so little punch? Boring. I know UConn played 12 games in 2012 – I can see the numbers, the wins and losses, that win over Louisville – but rarely does one team go an entire season and make so little an impact. Vanilla would be a huge upgrade.

Reaction Score
I swear they got some of this info from the BY. This little blurb from TDH:

2012 RECAP
In a nutshell: Vanilla has too much flavor for UConn. What do the Huskies get for dessert? We'll have the plain, the Huskies say, and in a cup, please, not a cone. It's just so boring: UConn is just so, so boring. What else do you call a team that lost four games when allowing 19 or fewer points? A team with all the offensive ingenuity of Madden '92 – dive, dive, off-tackle, dive, post? An offense without any sense of direction? A coaching staff with so little punch? Boring. I know UConn played 12 games in 2012 – I can see the numbers, the wins and losses, that win over Louisville – but rarely does one team go an entire season and make so little an impact. Vanilla would be a huge upgrade.

The BoneYard - home of moles and trolls.

Reaction Score
You know, if our offense was Vanilla last year we'd have been 8-5, maybe better.

Okay - so what's your point? I wasn't arguing.

The quote you tagged on was in reference to Jimmy's comment and my original comment that "writers" troll the Boneyard for info for their stories.

Reaction Score
Pretty good read, actually. It was almost as if the writer did some research on the team before submitting the column. Of somewhat hilarious note that many here on the BY would disagree wildly with:

Although Doug Marrone reversed Syracuse's losing ways, it's still clear that the university made a woefully poor decision when it relieved Pasqualoni of his duties after 14 seasons.

Reaction Score
Pretty good read, actually. It was almost as if the writer did some research on the team before submitting the column. Of somewhat hilarious note that many here on the BY would disagree wildly with:

Yeah that quote was weird because overall the column was a scathing indictment of the lack of progression the program has shown under P.

Reaction Score
Okay - so what's your point? I wasn't arguing.

The quote you tagged on was in reference to Jimmy's comment and my original comment that "writers" troll the Boneyard for info for their stories.
first off I meant to quote the "quote" about us bein gless than vanilla. but really I was just making th epoint that with even an adequate, not even good, offense we would have been a pretty good team last year. If we have an adequate offense this year, we should be pretty good this year. Not real good, not great, just a pretty good football team. But it all depends on getting just average play out of the offense, something that hasn't happened in 2 years under Pasqualoni. One point that I actully thought was pretty interesting in the USA today review was the comment that UConn didn't really try to be a running team last year. First time I remember anyone actually saying it, but I think there is something to that. It wasn't the old power running attack we had under Edsall, and it wasn't really a finesse running game either. We didn't really try to do anything. It was just a bunch of plays none of which seemed to be set up to accomplish anything.

I know I'm in the minority, but I like a dominating running game. When you're running the ball really well it takes both a physical and psychological toll on the opposition. If you go back to the 09 Notre Dame game, they hated to see us come to the oine by the last few series. The knew they were getting hurt and they couldn't do anything about it.

Reaction Score
Calling CW a senior, isn't he a RS Junior? Like that writers got idea across re vanilla without overdoing it.

Reaction Score
first off I meant to quote the "quote" about us bein gless than vanilla. but really I was just making th epoint that with even an adequate, not even good, offense we would have been a pretty good team last year. If we have an adequate offense this year, we should be pretty good this year. Not real good, not great, just a pretty good football team. But it all depends on getting just average play out of the offense, something that hasn't happened in 2 years under Pasqualoni. One point that I actully thought was pretty interesting in the USA today review was the comment that UConn didn't really try to be a running team last year. First time I remember anyone actually saying it, but I think there is something to that. It wasn't the old power running attack we had under Edsall, and it wasn't really a finesse running game either. We didn't really try to do anything. It was just a bunch of plays none of which seemed to be set up to accomplish anything.

I know I'm in the minority, but I like a dominating running game. When you're running the ball really well it takes both a physical and psychological toll on the opposition. If you go back to the 09 Notre Dame game, they hated to see us come to the oine by the last few series. The knew they were getting hurt and they couldn't do anything about it.

Got it... just didn't want to see the thread go down the rabbit hole based on a misunderstanding of my mole/trolls comment(not that it still won't :))

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
What's funny is that there don't seem to be too many arguments over Myerberg's characterization of this team yet we all manage to disagree so vehemently on so many other things.

One exception is that he seems to be calling for a return to our running game which I'm sure would make TDH's head do a 360.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah that quote was weird because overall the column was a scathing indictment of the lack of progression the program has shown under P.

Yet both can be true. Syracuse can have made a mistake and P can be riding UConn into the ground. So it's strange but potentially true.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
What's funny is that there don't seem to be too many arguments over Myerberg's characterization of this team yet we all manage to disagree so vehemently on so many other things.

One exception is that he seems to be calling for a return to our running game which I'm sure would make TDH's head do a 360.
More like explode!

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Their (BWW and Gratz) departures lend a sense of doom to the proceedings in the secondary...

DOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Yet both can be true. Syracuse can have made a mistake and P can be riding UConn into the ground. So it's strange but potentially true.
I agree with that. In part it was about who they selected to replace Pasqualoni at Syracuse. maybe the the worst coach of a college team since Terry Shea prowled the sidelines in East Nutley NJ or wherever Rutgers is located. Even on his worst day, Pasqualoni is better than Greg Robinson. Heck, even Kragthorpe was better than Greg Robinson.

Reaction Score
I think this piece is dead on with regards to the running game. We don't run effectively this season and we are dead meat!

And I love Lyle's heart, but he is not the answer. Somebody else has to step up and break arm tackles and our OL needs to get back to plowing holes getting on LBs.

The irony of all this to me is that I think in Chandler we have by far and away the best QB that we've had since Dan O. If we can get defenses back to respecting our running game I think he's going to be very effective especially with Davis and Phillips as options.

I know this though, we put this defense on the field as much as we did last season, 5-7 will look like paradise.

Reaction Score
The best thing about this preview was one name that wasn't mentioned. Although given the tone of the description of last year's offense, I guess the writer didn't want to pile on and name names.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
The best thing about this preview was one name that wasn't mentioned. Although given the tone of the description of last year's offense, I guess the writer didn't want to pile on and name names.

GEORGE!!!!

(said with the voice of George Costanza's mother) - I have no youtube clip skills otherwise I would have put in something...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom