USA - Germany Friendly | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USA - Germany Friendly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow, US saved by the woodwork in the final seconds. It's a final US2 - The Huns 1!!!!!!!!!
and oh, did the US just beat the #6 and #1 ranked teams in the world, on their soil, playing without 3-4 of our regular starters? I think they did....

Reaction Score
simply wow, the young players on this team are fearless.

Reaction Score
US Senior team record for 2015 (all friendlies)
4W-2L-1D
Lost @Chile 3-2
Won v. Panama 2-0
Lost @ Denmark 3-2
Draw @ Switzerland 1-1
Won v. Mexico 2-0 (playing an away game in Texas ;) )
Won @ Netherlands 4-3
Won @ Germany 2-1

Moving in the right direction..... Next up is a friendly v. Guatamala July 3rd before the Gold Cup begins July 7th.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Nah, outing FIFA adds points for the Yanks!
This may have been UEFA's way of saying thank you.

They've despised the corruption for decades. The rest of the soccer playing world seemed to enjoy it.

Reaction Score
We should thank our lucky stars that Klinsmen is in charge, not sure we would be having this much success with anyone else in charge,

Reaction Score
We should thank our lucky stars that Klinsmen is in charge, not sure we would be having this much success with anyone else in charge,
And....Not sure some of the younger players who had choices of which country to play for would be playing for our U20 and U23 teams either. He definitely has a vision of where he wants US soccer to be, as well (and more importantly) a plan on how to get it there.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
That was fun to watch. Bradley looking better than last year's version. Bobby Wood coming out of the woodwork.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Excellent second half by the US. Even Brooks, Chandler and Alvarado didn't look lost half the time.

I'm ready to make a few declarative statements.

Yedlin needs to be on the right flank, whether it's 30, 45 or 90 minutes. His speed is one of the few consistent offensive threats we have.

I'm prepared to move forward with Dempsey, Johansson, Zardes, and Morris at the forward pool. Wood's heroics aside, he doesn't consistently impact play. I don't need to see Jozy unless someone else isn't available. This team needs to be built around as many fast guys with ball skills as possible. Jozy is neither fast nor skilled.

Mix looks terrible on the defensive half of the field, but is one of the better guys with the ball attacking. Need to use him a formation that works for him. Playing a wide two way position is a liability. He would be better under the strikers in a two forward set or a wide attacker in a 4-3-3.

Zardes isn't ready to play the wide midfield spot, he's a striker as far as I'm concerned and still need development. Late sub in important matches. I like Morris ahead of him for that spot right now but I wouldn't be surprised if you see Zardes,/Morris, AJ, and Mix as your three strikers in 2018 or 2022.

Bradley is still the most important player on the squad, but F. Johnson is getting really close at fullback.

Chandler to me is the fifth defender even if I'm not sure who the first 4 are. Good going forward, slow and lost marking runners. I would like to see him in Beckerman's role.

Central defense is still a tire fire. Brooks loses his man a lot too and isn't as good in the air on D and he is on set pieces. Still a work in progress, wouldn't trust him in important games right now. Alvarado and Orozco don't show me enough to consider them viable at this point. I hope Gonzales and Besler are in form, but I'm not wild that no one can challenge them at the moment.

I assume Beasley is in camp to mentor Garza, I think he will get the nod at left back if it's not Chandler opposite Johnson. Need more options here.

Williams did OK, not great at the 6 spot. Beckerman actually looks a little better than he did in 2014, but this is a spot up for grabs as well.

A historic trip by the squad that can't be underrated. They could have given up a lot more goals and scored on nearly every decent chance. Bradley going direct to forwards making runs at the 18 and getting it wide to Yedlin on the right have to be the primary attack options. Need to keep mixing in the kids, they are winners, just don't quite know the game at the moment.

Reaction Score
I need to watch the whole game, but it seems like a consistent theme in the two games was Morris, Yedlin and Wood coming off the bench and kicking butt, with Bradley being the center of everything.

Wood was way more impactful against the Dutch than AJ. Pretty sure he won't have any problem landing a new club.

Morris is fantastic, please someone in Europe, sign him. No transfer fee required!

Reaction Score
Agree with most of this.

Wood is not in camp because he needs to find a new club.

Beasley is in camp to play. We're too thin at left back, and Jurgen yanked him out of retirement.

Looks to me like he went back to the old stand bys for the Gold Cup.

Excellent second half by the US. Even Brooks, Chandler and Alvarado didn't look lost half the time.

Yedlin needs to be on the right flank, whether it's 30, 45 or 90 minutes. His speed is one of the few consistent offensive threats we have.

I'm prepared to move forward with Dempsey, Johansson, Zardes, and Morris at the forward pool. Wood's heroics aside, he doesn't consistently impact play. I don't need to see Jozy unless someone else isn't available. This team needs to be built around as many fast guys with ball skills as possible. Jozy is neither fast nor skilled.

Mix looks terrible on the defensive half of the field, but is one of the better guys with the ball attacking. Need to use him a formation that works for him. Playing a wide two way position is a liability. He would be better under the strikers in a two forward set or a wide attacker in a 4-3-3.

Zardes isn't ready to play the wide midfield spot, he's a striker as far as I'm concerned and still need development. Late sub in important matches. I like Morris ahead of him for that spot right now but I wouldn't be surprised if you see Zardes,/Morris, AJ, and Mix as your three strikers in 2018 or 2022.

Bradley is still the most important player on the squad, but F. Johnson is getting really close at fullback.

Chandler to me is the fifth defender even if I'm not sure who the first 4 are. Good going forward, slow and lost marking runners. I would like to see him in Beckerman's role.

Central defense is still a tire fire. Brooks loses his man a lot too and isn't as good in the air on D and he is on set pieces. Still a work in progress, wouldn't trust him in important games right now. Alvarado and Orozco don't show me enough to consider them viable at this point. I hope Gonzales and Besler are in form, but I'm not wild that no one can challenge them at the moment.

I assume Beasley is in camp to mentor Garza, I think he will get the nod at left back if it's not Chandler opposite Johnson. Need more options here.

Williams did OK, not great at the 6 spot. Beckerman actually looks a little better than he did in 2014, but this is a spot up for grabs as well.

A historic trip by the squad that can't be underrated. They could have given up a lot more goals and scored on nearly every decent chance. Bradley going direct to forwards making runs at the 18 and getting it wide to Yedlin on the right have to be the primary attack options. Need to keep mixing in the kids, they are winners, just don't quite know the game at the moment.

Reaction Score

Pretty much dead on here... Not too much to add or disagree with.

A few points from being at the match:
  • The US supporters were awesome, louder than the German supporters by a long shot. Pretty fair number of us as well; I would guess 10-15%.
  • Bradley was a BEAST the whole match.
  • Danny Williams makes me nervous; he really seemed a bit reckless out there and could have picked up multiple yellows if not a straight red.
  • Biggest difference in the match for me was the first touch advantage of the Germans. I think in the next few years our technical play will improve but it's not there yet.
  • I had to explain the meaning of the word "sucks" because I applied it to Johannsen a number of times. I just don't see anything in him at the moment but he's young.

Reaction Score
Funny how a couple wins (or losses) can quickly change impressions, including public perceptions of Klinsmann's program. BigSoccer awaits ...

Reaction Score
Nothing against the backs in general and the youngins are gaining great experience, but it's a stretch to suggest there has been too much improvement. For example, when has Chandler played a very good game or exhibited significant improvement? With more games across the line, ideally things begin to click for the backs. All the more games against quality, non-CONCACAF opponents the better!

Reaction Score
Biggest difference in the match for me was the first touch advantage of the Germans. I think in the next few years our technical play will improve but it's not there yet.
That is a great call out, and so true. I was at the US-Germany world cup match in Recife, and the group of fans in my section had a similar call out/observation in that game. The Germans were AMAZING at receiving the ball (regardless from how far away or at what pace the pass came) which set the next touch and everything else they did with the ball up. The Americans would receive a pass and the ball would settle within a couple feet of their feet, the Germans would receive a pass and the ball was glued to their foot, or one touched with pace and accuracy.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Chandler actually looked a little better defensively on the left????

Agree. I'd like to see him come on in the 60-70th minute. If we are playing the diamond or a 4-5-1. Which I'd prefer.

Definitely not sold on Zardes yet. Maybe as a FW, but definitely not as a wide mid. Doesn't have the ability to pass or defend. All Altidore does for the USA is score. Good enough for me. (if he can stay healthy)

Umm no. Mix is becoming very good defensively. He probably broke up more plays and delivered more statements than Williams or Beckerman. I certainly wouldn't mind him playing forward in a 3 man midfield (either 4-3-3 or really a 4-5-1), however Klinsmann wants Bradley there. But Bradley, Mix and a DM (Beckerman, Jones, Williams) I think would work nicely. Bradley and Mix and take turns getting forward.

I agree, Zardes can't play the wide midfield (in a diamond). Might be able to play wide in a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3. Not really sold on him offensively yet either. I think we have or will have better options. Don't see Mix becoming a forward. At least under Klinsmann. He seems to be moving him back (more of an 8).

Bradley can be. Just needs to be consistent. Some games (like the last 2) he's been great. Other times, he disappears. But you have to Johnson on the field. Considering our other FB options, I'd use him there.

Chandler is good going forward, gets lost on defense. I certainly wouldn't want him in the midfield jogging around and losing runners.

Central defense is still a tire fire. Brooks loses his man a lot too and isn't as good in the air on D and he is on set pieces. Still a work in progress, wouldn't trust him in important games right now. Alvarado and Orozco don't show me enough to consider them viable at this point. I hope Gonzales and Besler are in form, but I'm not wild that no one can challenge them at the moment. I assume Beasley is in camp to mentor Garza, I think he will get the nod at left back if it's not Chandler opposite Johnson. Need more options here.
My back line is Johnson and ummm, uhhh, 3 other guys. No idea who can actually hold down a position at this point. I think (hope) Brooks will come good, just not sure he's there yet. Well actually I'm pretty sure he's not there yet. Shea, Beasely, Garza, Chandler, eh. ????

Beckermann, Williams, Jones, I think between the 3 of them, eh we might be ok. I'd like to see Williams improve and take that spot. I thought Morales was supposed to be a DM, but I don't remember Klinsmann even trying him there??

Great trip. Hopefully it gives them confidence going into the Gold Cup. Win that and they get the invite to the Confederations Cup in 2017.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That is a great call out, and so true. I was at the US-Germany world cup match in Recife, and the group of fans in my section had a similar call out/observation in that game. The Germans were AMAZING at receiving the ball (regardless from how far away or at what pace the pass came) which set the next touch and everything else they did with the ball up. The Americans would receive a pass and the ball would settle within a couple feet of their feet, the Germans would receive a pass and the ball was glued to their foot, or one touched with pace and accuracy.
Receiving has always been probably the biggest problem for USA players. We teach them to pass, shoot, dribble, but hardly any of them (at any level) can receive the ball.

The ball comes to them, bounces off their foot/knee/chest, bounces about 2-3 yards away, they go retrieve it, look up and all their options are gone or they are under pressure. See it from U11 through high school and even with the NT.

Reaction Score
Zardes was better when h e moved to forward.
true, he had some good scoring opportunities, just needs to finish. I thought when Beckerman came in the second half as the holding and Bradley moved forward as the attacking mid, the team really started to click

Reaction Score
At any point in your running anti -- U.S. commentary this week will it occur to you that maybe you need to reevaluate how much you know about this sport? Just wondering.

LOL my commentary is anti US? go sit in the corner

Reaction Score
Funny how a couple wins (or losses) can quickly change impressions, including public perceptions of Klinsmann's program. BigSoccer awaits ...

He is a funny guy too, I had the pleasure of meeting and talking to him a few years ago before the Surf Cup. We talked about pastries and a town in Germany. lol

Reaction Score

Bigsoccer is a cesspool of old time MLSrs most of the people there cannot stand Klinsmann. All they do is talk about the glory days of Arena and Bradley and actually believe we would be better off with Jason Kreis. It's a bathtub filled with clownjuice.

It seems like that place has declined in terms of number of the number of posters. But it was a good place in the 2000s and probably still a good resource if you actually care enough to understand how MLS actually works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom