USA cuts to 13 before tomorrow's game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USA cuts to 13 before tomorrow's game

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I would be surprised to see Griner unavailable. The report out of Phoenix was that she was held out of game 3 for "precautionary" reasons but would have been available for game 4 had it been necessary. It was reported as a slight "tear" that was corrected with laser surgery. I suspect that she has been cleared to play at this point.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I would be surprised to see Griner unavailable. The report out of Phoenix was that she was held out of game 3 for "precautionary" reasons but would have been available for game 4 had it been necessary. It was reported as a slight "tear" that was corrected with laser surgery. I suspect that she has been cleared to play at this point.

While I hope you are right, I suspect that Carol, Geno et al will rely heavily on the professional judgment of competent medical authorities and disregard the hopes of fans like us.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
While I hope you are right, I suspect that Carol, Geno et al will rely heavily on the professional judgment of competent medical authorities and disregard the hopes of fans like us.

That was the report from the assumed-competent medical staff for the Phoenix Mercury.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That was the report from the assumed-competent medical staff for the Phoenix Mercury.
But in the middle of a finals run when mis-information has been know to be put about by teams about whether players will be available for play and when.
I am not hoping anything bad for BG - I think she is a great player and she seems to be a pretty good person as well. I just am concerned about her long term health. Like I said - corneal scratches, broken noses and such you can protect from re-injury pretty easily, but retinal issues are a trickier thing. I absolutely hope she is on the USA team as I think she is close to being if not already the best center in the world. But I would rather lose a WC and enjoy BGs career for many years to come than have her take even a 100 to 1 chance of causing permanent damage if there is a medical reason to rest.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As someone who has had a retinal tear and emergency laser surgery, I hope that Britney is nothing less than 100%. Though I'd love to see her play, I'd err on the side of caution.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
But I would rather lose a WC and enjoy BGs career for many years to come than have her take even a 100 to 1 chance of causing permanent damage if there is a medical reason to rest.
Whether Griner plays or not, they are not going to lose the WC.

255 Main St.
Anytown, USA

That's the address of the bank you can take that to. :cool:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

255 Main St.
Anytown, USA

I agree - just making the point that the long term health of any one player isn't worth a WC gold.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
  • Laser - if the tear is posterior enough and there is no intervening vitreous hemorrhage, laser can be used to "spot weld" the retina to the underlying choroid and RPE. Enough burns to create 3-4 rows of laser spots around the tear(s) are made. Topical anesthetic drops are applied and a contact lens is used to focus the laser on the retina. Activity is limited for at least 1 week until the laser scars become strong enough to be considered "permanent."
This describes BG's situation, based on all reports. Of course, if there were an additional chance of injury I would not want her to play yet, but everything I've read indicates the the eye is in complete repair after a week.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

255 Main St.
Anytown, USA

Remove any 1 player from the squad and we still win the WC.

Reaction Score
A little surprised that Chiney got cut before Stef
:-/
Me too. Chiney was 2nd inthe WNBA in offensive rebounds and double doubles, shot 54% from the field, and competes as hard as anybody. It's not like she's never played with her back to the basket. Dolson has 1" and purple hair over Chiney.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Me too. Chiney was 2nd inthe WNBA in offensive rebounds and double doubles, shot 54% from the field, and competes as hard as anybody. It's not like she's never played with her back to the basket. Dolson has 1" and purple hair over Chiney.

I'd say she probably has a significant strength advantage, too. Certainly at a listed weight of 214 vs. Chiney's 173 she's likely to hold up better at center.

Stef vs. Chiney is not quite apples vs. oranges but it's not an exact comparison either. Peaches vs. nectarines, maybe? Raspberries vs. blackberries?

G

genosguy

Wh
Jim Fuller has a little more here

"UConn junior Breanna Stewart and former Huskies Sue Bird, Tina Charles, Stefanie Dolson and Maya Moore are among the 13 players currently with the team."
What a shock--Lindsay Whealan (?) is still with the the team. I know you won't believe this but I bet DT is going to go to France with this team--a real far out choice. Don't throw rocks--I just have this odd feeling she may get the nod from Geno.

G

genosguy

I'd say she probably has a significant strength advantage, too. Certainly at a listed weight of 214 vs. Chiney's 173 she's likely to hold up better at center.

Stef vs. Chiney is not quite apples vs. oranges but it's not an exact comparison either. Peaches vs. nectarines, maybe? Raspberries vs. blackberries?
Watermellons vs comquats??? Nectarine is just a peach without the fuzz---which is the peach?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
watermelons vs wombats would be more interesting .. I'm bettin' on the wombat.
By the way, I'm out in Yellowstone this week - if you think "Honey Badger don't care", you've never seen a Yellowstone bison. They really don't give a ...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
watermelons vs wombats would be more interesting .. I'm bettin' on the wombat.
By the way, I'm out in Yellowstone this week - if you think "Honey Badger don't care", you've never seen a Yellowstone bison. They really don't give a ...
Please say, "Hi," to Mr. Ranger and be sure to sample an appropriate number of picnic baskets.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Could it just be that ner game, good as it is, is too much like Nneka's? Steph is an excellent passer and screener. Steph prolly won't make the final cut, but IF SHE DOES I will be able tohearthe Rockytop screams all the way down here in Guatemala!

Reaction Score
Does that mean they are taking the 13 and the 7 from the WNBA finals to Europe for a total of 20 players (to be cut down over there to 12?)

"USA Basketball will announce at a later date which of these athletes [the 7] will join the finalists in Europe."

Fowles is out. So no more than 6 will be added to the 13.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
  • Laser - if the tear is posterior enough and there is no intervening vitreous hemorrhage, laser can be used to "spot weld" the retina to the underlying choroid and RPE. Enough burns to create 3-4 rows of laser spots around the tear(s) are made. Topical anesthetic drops are applied and a contact lens is used to focus the laser on the retina. Activity is limited for at least 1 week until the laser scars become strong enough to be considered "permanent."
This describes BG's situation, based on all reports. Of course, if there were an additional chance of injury I would not want her to play yet, but everything I've read indicates the the eye is in complete repair after a week.
Sounds like my situation in 2009 as well. I couldn't fly for a while.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Sounds like my situation in 2009 as well. I couldn't fly for a while.

Interesting that they let her fly to Chicago and then back to Phoenix . If flying puts her at risk, leave her at home.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The question is whether or not it was laser only, apparently.

A history of laser treatment for a retinal tear by itself usually does not pose a risk when flying because the laser treatment does not involve injecting gas into the eye

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
When are the additional players supposed to join the current roster in Europe? I had heard that the current roster was leaving for France today, but nothing about when the additional players were expected to join the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom