USA cuts to 13 before tomorrow's game | The Boneyard

USA cuts to 13 before tomorrow's game

Status
Not open for further replies.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Via multiple Tweets...Sad for Bria, but I am sure it isn't a surprise for her. She'll get there one day.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
A little surprised that Chiney got cut before Stef
:-/

Reaction Score
I NEED A BOXSCORE OF THE CANADA GAME QUICK OR I'LL PASS OUT! :-P

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don't believe Bria played in today's scrimmage.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Rich Elliot confirms here.

That means Stef is still on, just as I predicted....

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I NEED A BOXSCORE OF THE CANADA GAME QUICK OR I'LL PASS OUT! :-P

Wow - shouting....ouchy.

Likely there may not be a box score. This was only a scrimmage.

But you can try google.....

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Jim Fuller has a little more here

"UConn junior Breanna Stewart and former Huskies Sue Bird, Tina Charles, Stefanie Dolson and Maya Moore are among the 13 players currently with the team."

Reaction Score
Wow - shouting....ouchy.

Likely there may not be a box score. This was only a scrimmage.

But you can try google.....

When it comes to women's BB, The Boneyard > Google.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

“All the players knew that today was going to be the day that we were going to try to get to 12,” said USA National Team head coach Geno Auriemma of the University of Connecticut. “As it turns out, the committee kind of got stuck between number 13 and number 12 so we decided to stay at 13 for tomorrow’s game and take 13 over to Europe with us. Then we’ll add those that are coming, that played in the championship series.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

hmmmm....well, someone has to google to find the scores....that's all I am saying...

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
“All the players knew that today was going to be the day that we were going to try to get to 12,” said USA National Team head coach Geno Auriemma of the University of Connecticut. “As it turns out, the committee kind of got stuck between number 13 and number 12 so we decided to stay at 13 for tomorrow’s game and take 13 over to Europe with us. Then we’ll add those that are coming, that played in the championship series.
Does that mean they are taking the 13 and the 7 from the WNBA finals to Europe for a total of 20 players (to be cut down over there to 12?)

Reaction Score

USA Basketball LOVES height. Lots of examples, but look at Nancy Mulkey with the age-group teams. And I'll be real, her connection with Geno/UConn probably didn't hurt. BUT, to be fair Stef was amazing at guarding Chiney in college.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
USA Basketball Women’s National Team Roster Set For Exhibition Versus Canada Full story Link

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Does that mean they are taking the 13 and the 7 from the WNBA finals to Europe for a total of 20 players (to be cut down over there to 12?)

Per Geno from the linked article above:
“All the players knew that today was going to be the day that we were going to try to get to 12,” said USA National Team head coach Geno Auriemma of the University of Connecticut. “As it turns out, the committee kind of got stuck between number 13 and number 12 so we decided to stay at 13 for tomorrow’s game and take 13 over to Europe with us. Then we’ll add those that are coming, that played in the championship series."

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Yes, sounds like that's what is going to happen. Not ideal but nothing is ideal about this process.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

I cannot find one, can you? I don't believe that there will be one to find.

Good luck

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
USA Basketball LOVES height. Lots of examples, but look at Nancy Mulkey with the age-group teams. And I'll be real, her connection with Geno/UConn probably didn't hurt. BUT, to be fair Stef was amazing at guarding Chiney in college.

You'll be real about what? Nancy Mulkey? What does she have to do with Geno and USA Basketball?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Per Geno from the linked article above:
“All the players knew that today was going to be the day that we were going to try to get to 12,” said USA National Team head coach Geno Auriemma of the University of Connecticut. “As it turns out, the committee kind of got stuck between number 13 and number 12 so we decided to stay at 13 for tomorrow’s game and take 13 over to Europe with us. Then we’ll add those that are coming, that played in the championship series."

Oops....I should read the thread before I post. Didn't mean to duplicate you, Cat

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Yes, sounds like that's what is going to happen. Not ideal but nothing is ideal about this process.
I guess 8 players get some sort of free European vacation with an open ended return date.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I'm not. Stef is more of a center than Chiney and right now there's only Tina, Lavender and Stef. Fowles and BG (if healthy) will take the other center spots if they decide to go with 3.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think USA is somewhat concerned about both BG and Fowles - I hadn't realized that Fowles had hip surgery this past spring, but based on the finals, I really wonder if she is fully healthy. With BG - all the reports said 'minor retinal' surgery, but I am not sure there is ever anything 'minor' when it comes to the retina - and I wonder if that damage was actually caused by the elbow rather than the eye poke in that game - eye pokes usually do damage to the cornea where as concussive blows can affect the back of the eye. If that is the case, there is more chance of another 'concussive' blow that you really can't protect against - cornea issues you were goggles.
If one or both are 'questionable' then keeping the other two post players around in camp makes more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom