USA-Costa Rica | The Boneyard

USA-Costa Rica

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Same lineup as Friday. Fine by me. Tighten it up, keep possession and we should be good

Reaction Score
Well, the easy thing for me to say is, "I guess we'll see," since I find that I'm often proven wrong with lineups and call-ups and so on.

But I must say I'm disappointed that he made no changes.

Sticking with Zardes and Jones is perplexing.

Reaction Score
It was a rocky first 6 minutes, but good effort in the offensive end once the US got possession and a solid PK by Dempsey.

Reaction Score
Wood struggles when it comes to distributing the ball on a break. 3 times he's had multiple options to assist a potential goal on the attack, and 3 times he's made a bad choice resulting in turning it over.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Lots of opportunities deep in Costa Rica's end but the passes setting up any goal scoring chances have been awful.....they need to be crisper on those passes so they can finish it off and get another goal.

Reaction Score
Love how CR is pressuring high. Very aggressive and causing some problems for the US getting the ball out of their own end.

Reaction Score
Nice finish by Jones. He's having a good 1st half.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
That's where Wood should be playing....like was said earlier in this thread, Wood isn't the best passing the ball. However, he's quick and can score from that striker spot.....

Beautiful goal from him!

Reaction Score
Hopefully we can run the goal count up in this game.

This is where I would bring in fresh legs at the start of the second half.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Dempsey just got bailed out by Jones. Tried to do too much on that play but damn, that was a nice finish by Jones!

That wasn't the first time either. He did the exact same thing to Wood on the play before. I'm convinced that if Dempsey is on the field, it should be in a 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1-1 paired with Wood. Zardes needs to sit in favor of a better winger. Nagbe can earn his way past Jones before the final hex. Pulisic can fight for the wing spot or Nagbe's spot or Dempsey's spot.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Things are getting quite nasty in the game. Bedoya better not get another yellow or he's out against Paraguay.

CR is throwing it all on the line now and the US is playing back on the heels...need to keep the shut out and the +3 on GD

Reaction Score
Wow. After getting hammered by the high press, the US put this away in the first half, and didn't even concede.

Kinda crazy but the US can still win the group.

Reaction Score
great game, good mojo for the game against Paraguay.

Reaction Score
That wasn't the first time either. He did the exact same thing to Wood on the play before. I'm convinced that if Dempsey is on the field, it should be in a 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1-1 paired with Wood. Zardes needs to sit in favor of a better winger. Nagbe can earn his way past Jones before the final hex. Pulisic can fight for the wing spot or Nagbe's spot or Dempsey's spot.

After the second goal they switched to a 4-4-2.

I don't know if I'm ready to give the keys to Bobby Wood as a striker/center forward but I still want him on the field.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
After the second goal they switched to a 4-4-2.

I don't know if I'm ready to give the keys to Bobby Wood as a striker/center forward but I still want him on the field.

I just don't see any better options. He does tick most of the boxes. He scores goals and is doing so in Europe. Hopefully he continues when stepping up to the top league.

Everything he gets the balls something positive happens. He stretches defenders, can hold the ball, and dribble the ball, and he can make runs. He doesn't always make the right decision or hit the best passes, but no one else in the US pool does either.

Jones at 34, made everyone else on that team look bad with his effort and game awareness. Wood is more like him than any other striker we have including Dempsey who despite playing better was still being selfish with the ball when he had wide open runners to the goal.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Wood struggles when it comes to distributing the ball on a break. 3 times he's had multiple options to assist a potential goal on the attack, and 3 times he's made a bad choice resulting in turning it over.

He's tantalizing with the ball at times, but has no feel for passing it seems.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I just don't see any better options. He does tick most of the boxes. He scores goals and is doing so in Europe. Hopefully he continues when stepping up to the top league.

Everything he gets the balls something positive happens. He stretches defenders, can hold the ball, and dribble the ball, and he can make runs. He doesn't always make the right decision or hit the best passes, but no one else in the US pool does either.

Jones at 34, made everyone else on that team look bad with his effort and game awareness. Wood is more like him than any other striker we have including Dempsey who despite playing better was still being selfish with the ball when he had wide open runners to the goal.

Wood has loads of potential, if he can learn to distribute, he'll be a good one. Liked his attitude in not backing down as well.

Jones was our best player, straight up. Huge effort.

I thought Dempsey played well, and if he was selfish at times, it was because he also left beautiful passes for people who botched those chances. He's our best distributor and I think he's better as an attacking midfielder really, than at striker.

Anyone else think Yedlin was awful in defense? They attacked his side relentlessly, and Zardes was often bailing him out. I like what Yedlin brings in the attack, but he's a defensive liability and gives the ball away too often. Contrast to Johnson, who was much better while also helping the attack.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Much better effort overall. Jones had a very good game. Bradley was better than last game (couldn't have been worse though). The FBs got into attack which helped. CBs seem to be starting to get some continuity.

Zardes though, man besides industry, not sure what else he brings other than a horrible touch.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Zardes is becoming comical with that spring loaded boot of his. It's as of the laws of physics don't apply to him.

Reaction Score
Much better effort overall. Jones had a very good game. Bradley was better than last game (couldn't have been worse though). The FBs got into attack which helped. CBs seem to be starting to get some continuity.

Zardes though, man besides industry, not sure what else he brings other than a horrible touch.

He does work hard and gets back on D though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom