US Women's Basketball Team Retains Assistants For 2016 Olympics | The Boneyard

US Women's Basketball Team Retains Assistants For 2016 Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
STORRS, CONN. — The U.S. women's national basketball team will retain its assistant coaches for the 2016 Olympics in Rio.

[LINK] to full article

Reaction Score
Excerpted - fair use:

The U.S. women's national basketball team will retain its assistant coaches for the 2016 Olympics in Rio.

South Carolina's Dawn Staley, DePaul's Doug Bruno and Minnesota's Cheryl Reeve will join head coach Geno Auriemma of UConn again as the Americans try to win a sixth consecutive Olympic gold medal.

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/...sketball-team-retains.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

That'll give'em something to talk about tonight. Plus, it must have come out of the pregame presser because I noticed a Storrs timeline.

Reaction Score
Geno on his 2016 Olympics staff:

"There is certainly a comfort level that we have," Auriemma said in a release. "We know a little bit about each other now and have been able to work together in the FIBA World Championship and I'm very comfortable with them and confident in them."

"bviously I've known Doug the longest but I've had coaching relationships with Dawn and Cheryl too and we've worked really well together. The more time we spend together, the relationships are going to grow and we are going to be even more effective than they were in the World Championships."

Staley excelled on the court as a player, winning three Olympic gold medals, and also was an assistant coach for the 2008 Olympics.

Bruno worked with Auriemma in the 2012 London Games, guiding the Americans to their fifth straight gold. Reeve is getting her first chance to coach at an Olympics.

The announcement was made Monday, hours before Staley's top-ranked Gamecocks face Auriemma's No. 2 Huskies.

The Associated Press contributed to this report. [LINK]

Reaction Score
B9bIu53IAAI9rrz.jpg

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
IMO...it is a near-lock that Dawn will be head coach of the Olympic team in 2020.

Reaction Score
IMO...it is a near-lock that Dawn will be head coach of the Olympic team in 2020.
Unless Jerry Colangelo puts the arm on Geno to do a 3rd term with USA Basketball. He was very persuasive with Coach K, who is 7-8 years older than Geno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom