US U23 roster named for Olympic qualifying prep | Page 2 | The Boneyard

US U23 roster named for Olympic qualifying prep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Pathetic display in Guatemala. Friggin Guatemala. I've backed Klinsman throughout, but his 'tinkering' with lineups and playing players out of natural positions is maddening and not working. It is not all on him either, this group of players are extremely unlikable, IMO. Zero heart, zero leadership. Time for JK to go and 50% of this rosters with him.... Meanwhile, countries like Hait, TnT, Jamaica, and Hondura (to name a few) are young and getting better; along with Mexico and CR. Even if the US gets out of this qualifying round (will require winning 2 of their next 3 at a minimum, which is no longer a guarentee), they'll be under dogs to finish top 4 in the He

Reaction Score
Pathetic display in Guatemala. Friggin Guatemala. I've backed Klinsman throughout, but his 'tinkering' with lineups and playing players out of natural positions is maddening and not working. It is not all on him either, this group of players are extremely unlikable, IMO. Zero heart, zero leadership. Time for JK to go and 50% of this rosters with him.... Meanwhile, countries like Hait, TnT, Jamaica, and Hondura (to name a few) are young and getting better; along with Mexico and CR. Even if the US gets out of this qualifying round (will require winning 2 of their next 3 at a minimum, which is no longer a guarentee), they'll be under dogs to finish top 4 in the He

I kind of want to see Jurgen fired now. Then Garber and force Gulati to install some MLS puppet and we'll still get crushed.

Really, the American player is nothing special. They are not good enough to go to Guatemala and put in a half arsed effort and get a result. These guys need to stop reading and believing all of their press clippings.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It was a really embarrassing game. I only caught the first half but that second goal was a joke. The announcers kept trying to say Ruiz was off-sides but it doesn't matter. The fact that he was able to get the ball that easily when he was not that clearly off was a joke. Don't even get me started on the first goal and how it was gifted to them through the corner kick that should have never happened. That pass back to Howard that led to the corner was ridiculous.

I couldn't understand why Omar (I think that's who it was) kept tossing long balls forward when they weren't working. I don't know if that changed in the second half but you'd think after the first 10 that didn't get anywhere, he'd change it up.

Reaction Score

Have to agree. It was a sad showing. I had a bad feeling about the game before it even began when somehow 'Ace' Ventura was on the roster. Rather see the U23 go up against the varsity Guatemala team as they have some heart. Yes, the US varsity team has injuries (Brooks, Johnson, etc.); but, Klimsman refuses to be flexible in terms of roster selection and position/strategy. He keeps putting players, many of whom are in season, in positions that they are not familiar/comfortable and then blames the players for being hesitant, out-of-potion, and lack of communications. The second goal was 50% the players' fault for lack of effort and communications and 50% Klinsmann's fault for putting them in that position in the first place. The US will be lucky to make the 2018 Cup at this rate unless some serious changes are made.

Reaction Score
No amount of coaching could ever transform Alvarado and Diskerud into players I could give two shyts about.

I actually started passively rooting against this team after I saw them get owned by Panama last summer.

Dempsey is still class, but he is legacy and we're just squeezing a few extra years out of him.

Bedoya is good but watching him constantly adjusting his hair is utter torture.

Reaction Score
Have to agree. It was a sad showing. I had a bad feeling about the game before it even began when somehow 'Ace' Ventura was on the roster. Rather see the U23 go up against the varsity Guatemala team as they have some heart. Yes, the US varsity team has injuries (Brooks, Johnson, etc.); but, Klimsman refuses to be flexible in terms of roster selection and position/strategy. He keeps putting players, many of whom are in season, in positions that they are not familiar/comfortable and then blames the players for being hesitant, out-of-potion, and lack of communications. The second goal was 50% the players' fault for lack of effort and communications and 50% Klinsmann's fault for putting them in that position in the first place. The US will be lucky to make the 2018 Cup at this rate unless some serious changes are made.

I don't buy this out of position argument that people are pushing. Geoff Cameron has played CDM, CB and RB extensively. Yedlin had played on the wing. Bradley is a center mid and is supposed to be versatile.

Reaction Score
I don't buy this out of position argument that people are pushing. Geoff Cameron has played CDM, CB and RB extensively. Yedlin had played on the wing. Bradley is a center mid and is supposed to be versatile.

I'm with you on this -- I'm not a big JK fan, but this out of position crap is overblown (except for Diskelrod, whose position on the national team should be bench). Yes, Yedlin is a right back at Sutherland but he's had a huge role for the USMNT at right half. Cameron can play almost anywhere, but I've seen games at Stoke that make me think that RB is his best position.

This is not about not playing people at their club team position -- this is a combination of the talent pool being down (not in depth but at the top), some bad luck with injuries and not getting the most out of your players (because despite all, last night should not be a game that we ever lose). So now Tuesday is truly a must win game. The good news is that it shouldn't require much of an effort to get the 3 points. The bad news is what we saw yesterday was not much of an effort.

Reaction Score
I'm with you on this -- I'm not a big JK fan, but this out of position crap is overblown (except for Diskelrod, whose position on the national team should be bench). Yes, Yedlin is a right back at Sutherland but he's had a huge role for the USMNT at right half. Cameron can play almost anywhere, but I've seen games at Stoke that make me think that RB is his best position.

This is not about not playing people at their club team position -- this is a combination of the talent pool being down (not in depth but at the top), some bad luck with injuries and not getting the most out of your players (because despite all, last night should not be a game that we ever lose). So now Tuesday is truly a must win game. The good news is that it shouldn't require much of an effort to get the 3 points. The bad news is what we saw yesterday was not much of an effort.

I saw something on Twitter today. We're still basically a lock for the hex. Guatemala is literally the toughest team we'll play in this phase.

But I agree with all of that.

Reaction Score
The US has won exactly 1 game in Guatemala since 1977. Coming out of this game with 3 points wasn't likely, especially with the lack of roster familiarity and consistency. Guatemala is no pushover.

This game required a solid and focused defensive effort ... and it wasn't even close. Diskerud would not have been my first or 10th choice at CDM. I would have liked to see Cameron paired with Omar in central defense, Yedlin at RB, and Beckerman at CDM.

Reaction Score
The US has won exactly 1 game in Guatemala since 1977. Coming out of this game with 3 points wasn't likely, especially with the lack of roster familiarity and consistency. Guatemala is no pushover.

This game required a solid and focused defensive effort ... and it wasn't even close. Diskerud would not have been my first or 10th choice at CDM. I would have liked to see Cameron paired with Omar in central defense, Yedlin at RB, and Beckerman at CDM.

This game really needed 5 midfielders that could hold the ball and take the steam out Guatemala. We didn't need two strikers. There are double amputees that can hold the ball better than Yedlin. He really should have never seen the field.

Reaction Score

The only reason Orozco started was that Besler had a concussion before the game. Which totally sucks if you are a KC fan by the way. He'll probably be out for two to three months now.

I would have gone 4-2-3-1

Bradley and Beckerman deep with Dempsey as the CAM. I probably would have still started Wood. Bedoya on the left would be fine. And then I would have had someone who can actually dribble and pass instead of Yedlin.

Reaction Score

I agree. His refusal to play anything but a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield is way more annoying than what positions the guys are playing. They should be versatile enough to handle that.

Reaction Score
Very nervous about tonight with a lot on the lien for US Soccer. The varsity USMNT team needs to turn it around and get 3 points at home against Guatemala or else they maybe watching the 2018 Cup from home. The JV U-23 team needs a 0-0 draw or a win to advance to the Olympics over a very good Columbia team.

Go USA!

Reaction Score
USMNT looked quite good in this first half. Up 2-0 with the majority of the possession and chances. Goals for Dempsey and Cameron off a perfect delivery from Bradley via a free kick. 45 minutes to go.

Reaction Score
#10 for Colombia (Quinterra?) is a stud. US being dominated early, still scoreless 17 minutes in...luckily.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
USMNT looked quite good in this first half. Up 2-0 with the majority of the possession and chances. Goals for Dempsey and Cameron off a perfect delivery from Bradley via a free kick. 45 minutes to go.

Won 4 to 0 and it should have been more. US finally showed energy and looked comfortable with their midfield and center back set-up for once. They attacked early on and immediately went after Guatemala with their superior speed and height. Need to see that kind of effort every game. Bradley was spitting fire tonight and Cameron was a beast. Glad to see Pulisic get capped, too.

On a side note, that head referee should never see the pitch again. Let a cleats-up tackle go on Wood go without a card. Ignored the linesman's flag on a push by Columbia. Called off-sides in Finlay's goal though he was on-side by a good yard. Allowed Altidore to get stepped-on, full cleats to the chest without pulling a Red.

Now, time to watch the U23 game. Very tense and looks like it may get ugly at this rate.

Reaction Score
Columbia is going to advance and they are the better team; but, this has been one of the ugliest games I have seen. I absolutely hate how Columbia has sold sold much BS to the ref. This is one of the ugliest games I have seen. That said, the US only has itself to blame - should have beaten Honduras.

Reaction Score
I only watched about half the game in pieces, but it looked like the US forgot that U23 means you can put 22+ year olds on the team, not just teenagers. I didn't see anyone that looked as physically mature as their Colombian counterpart. That forced them to use more leverage and get themselves out of position on both the defensive and offensive side.

Reaction Score
Admittedly this is the first time i've watched the U23's in this Olympic campaign, but it looked like Colombia was playing a different game than the USA. Kind of depressing.

Reaction Score
I only watched about half the game in pieces, but it looked like the US forgot that U23 means you can put 22+ year olds on the team, not just teenagers. I didn't see anyone that looked as physically mature as their Colombian counterpart. That forced them to use more leverage and get themselves out of position on both the defensive and offensive side.

It's funny that whenever the U.S. loses everyone bemoans the lack of technical skill and says we rely on pluckiness, but the beatdown yesterday (because the 2-1 score line doens't do it justice) had far less to do with technical superiority of the Colombians and far more to do with them being bigger and stronger.

Reaction Score
It's funny that whenever the U.S. loses everyone bemoans the lack of technical skill and says we rely on pluckiness, but the beatdown yesterday (because the 2-1 score line doesn't do it justice) had far less to do with technical superiority of the Colombians and far more to do with them being bigger and stronger.

Which raises a good question, who on earth scheduled the USMNT Varsity and U23 teams playing qualifiers on the same day? Klinsman was in a touch spot on who to call-up for the Varsity team against Guatemala because the US had to win, which took players like Brooks, Johnson, (ignoring injuries for the moment) away from the U23 team.

Oh, and the Colombians were better; but, they deserve a few Oscars for the diving and crud they were doing. Would have made the Italian national team proud.

Reaction Score
Which raises a good question, who on earth scheduled the USMNT Varsity and U23 teams playing qualifiers on the same day? Klinsman was in a touch spot on who to call-up for the Varsity team against Guatemala because the US had to win, which took players like Brooks, Johnson, (ignoring injuries for the moment) away from the U23 team.

Oh, and the Colombians were better; but, they deserve a few Oscars for the diving and crud they were doing. Would have made the Italian national team proud.

Klinsmann doesn't control international breaks or qualifying.

Reaction Score

We will never know if a healthy Brooks, and Yedline and Pulisic, might have been in Frisco and not Colombus if we had gotten a result in Guatamala and didn't need a win in the second game. And not even U.S. Soccer -- much less Klinsmann --- had any say in anything other than the location of the home match.

If you want to blame U.S. Soccer for something, ask why the heck the home game against Colombia was in warm Texas, instead of an MLS stadium in Salt Lake, Denver or New Jersey.

Reaction Score
We will never know if a healthy Brooks, and Yedline and Pulisic, might have been in Frisco and not Colombus if we had gotten a result in Guatamala and didn't need a win in the second game. And not even U.S. Soccer -- much less Klinsmann --- had any say in anything other than the location of the home match.

If you want to blame U.S. Soccer for something, ask why the heck the home game against Colombia was in warm Texas, instead of an MLS stadium in Salt Lake, Denver or New Jersey.

I was not sure if their was any choice on the scheduling of the U23 games or if the only time that they could be played was during this specific international break. So basically, by losing to Honduras, the US U23 team basically shot itself in foot.

Historically, the US does schedule major games in the fall/winter/spring against Central and South American games in places line Columbus (were the Varsity team played) or Denver or any place that may make a warm weather team feel uncomfortable, similar to how Columbia made the US play them in a sauna in March. It did not help that the crowd in Frisco was maybe 50/50 Columbia fans. I hope that the reasoning to play the game in Frisco was because the US coaches were worried that a cold weather venue may throw them off because they had been training in warm weather for the first leg. If it was made for political or financial reasons, not going to be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom