US U23 roster named for Olympic qualifying prep | The Boneyard

US U23 roster named for Olympic qualifying prep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Carter-Vickers and Zelalem are in the 24-player roster that will compete in friendly matches against England Sept. 3 and against Qatar Sept. 8. Here is a look at the squad Team USA will put on the pitch:

Position Player Club Team
Goalkeeper Cody Cropper MK Dons
Goalkeeper Ethan Horvath Molde
Goalkeeper Zack Steffen Freiburg
Defender Cameron Carter-Vickers Tottenham Hotspur
Defender Matt Miazga New York Red Bulls
Defender Eric Miller Montreal Impact
Defender Boyd Okwuonu Real Salt Lake
Defender Shane O'Neill Apollon Limassol
Defender William Packwood Unattached
Defender Dillon Serna Colorado Rapids
Defender Oscar Sorto LA Galaxy
Midfielder Gboly Ariyibi Chesterfield
Midfielder Luis Gil Real Salt Lake
Midfielder Emerson Hyndman Fulham
Midfielder Benji Joya Club Necaxa
Midfielder Marc Pelosi San Jose Earthquakes
Midfielder Matt Polster Chicago Fire
Midfielder Wil Trapp Columbus Crew
Midfielder Gedion Zelalem Rangers
Forward Alonso Hernandez C.D. Juarez
Forward Jerome Kiesewetter VfB Stuttgart
Forward Mario Rodriguez Borussia Monchengladbach
Forward Rubio Rubin Utrecht
Forward Maki Tall Scion

Reaction Score
Lost track of this tournament. The U.S. U23 dominated group A, going 3-0 with wins over Canada 3-1, Cuba 6-1, and Panama 4-0. They will most likely play Honduras in the semi-finals (they get the loser of Mexico v Honduras, who are both undefeated in Group B... playing as I type this, Mexico up 1-0 in 1st half). That will be a must win game for US to qualify for the Olympics. Canada will play the winner of group B (most likely Mexico) for the other CONCACAF birth in the Olympics.

Roster

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I didn't realize these games were on TV. I recorded the Panama game, but only got a chance to watch the 1st few minutes. (try to watch it tonight).

It's on NBC Universo (Spanish station). Which used to be Mun2. 705 on my Xfinity/Comcast. It's in Spanish but at least you can watch it.

Reaction Score
This Saturday will be busy for US Soccer. U23 US v Honduras at 3pm, Sandy, UT. The other semi-final is Mexico v Canada at 6pm. The Finals are Tuesday.

Reaction Score
Damn, I have a game to coach at 2:30 on Saturday, going to miss that and I would enjoy seeing the next USMNT play, even if it is Spanish.

Reaction Score
US U23 has been dominant in this tournament. We'll find out if it was a case of all the teams in their group being down, or are they just that good.

All the JK detractors should be able to agree on this (it's personal for them if they don't)...he has set up a GREAT pipeline of talented young players working their way up to the senior team. The U23's have been laying very well (hope i didn;t jinx that), and our U20 team had a great showing in their WC, losing on PK's in the quarters to eventual champion Serbia. JK has recruited some great, young dual national talent who are opting to play US soccer. This will pay off in 2018 and beyond.

Reaction Score
There is no question but that he is doing a good job at attracting dual nationals to play for the U.S.

Reaction Score
Not a good day yesterday, losing 2-0. Watched the 1st half (before UConn game started) and team looked disjointed/flat. CCV was a little out of his depth in central defense. Being 17 and playing against men, it showed. He got caught ball watching on Honduras 1st goal. Must beat Canada Tuesday to qualify for a play in game v Colombia, in Rio, sometime in March.

Reaction Score
U.S. 2-0 over Canada. We play Colonbia in March, in Rio, for a spot in the. Olympics

Reaction Score
Really need to make the Olympics.
It will be a tall order beating Colombia in Rio, but they shouldn't even be in this situation. They looked piss poor in the half I saw v. Honduras. CCV looked over-matched, playing 5-6 year above his age group. Hopefully it only makes him better for the future. Morris should be challenging himself in the same way, going pro and playing against better defenders game in and game out. I don't believe Zelaham (sp?) played or was on the final roster, not sure if he was injured or not.

Reaction Score
It will be a tall order beating Colombia in Rio, but they shouldn't even be in this situation. They looked piss poor in the half I saw v. Honduras. CCV looked over-matched, playing 5-6 year above his age group. Hopefully it only makes him better for the future. Morris should be challenging himself in the same way, going pro and playing against better defenders game in and game out. I don't believe Zelaham (sp?) played or was on the final roster, not sure if he was injured or not.

Was wondering about Zelalem myself. Playing in Rio against Colombia will be a challenge; but, if they want it, they have to go for it.

Reaction Score
Our U17's bowed out of the World Cup last night, losing 4-1 to Chile (we were up 1-0 early, and it was 1-1 at the half). Finished last in our group behind Nigeria (group winner), Croatia, and Chile. We drew with Croatia and were beaten by Nigeria & Chile.

Costa Rica has pretty much locked up a spot in the inockout stage.
Mexico should advance (unless they get smoked by Germany and Australia beats winless Argentina).
Honduras will not advance.

Reaction Score
Our U17's bowed out of the World Cup last night, losing 4-1 to Chile (we were up 1-0 early, and it was 1-1 at the half). Finished last in our group behind Nigeria (group winner), Croatia, and Chile. We drew with Croatia and were beaten by Nigeria & Chile.

Costa Rica has pretty much locked up a spot in the inockout stage.
Mexico should advance (unless they get smoked by Germany and Australia beats winless Argentina).
Honduras will not advance.

Tough group; but, the US should have had a better showing. Bummer.

Reaction Score
Both Costa Rica and Mexico advance to the quarters of the U17 World Cup.
Mexico beat Chile 4-1, will play Belgium next.
Costa Rica beat one of the tourney favorites France 5-3 on PK's, will play Ecuador next.

Brazil plays Nigeria and Croatia plays Mali in the other quarters.

Reaction Score
Mexico beat Ecuador 2-0 in their quarterfinal. Costa Rica v Belgium up next.
Nigeria beat Brazil, and Mali best Croatia in the other quarters yesterday.

Mali is either going to be very good at the next couple of World Cups, or they are playing older kids on their U17 and U20 teams

Reaction Score
It's an all African final. Nigeria beat Mexico 4-2, Mali beat Belgium 2-1.

One of the Mexican kids scored a sick goal, pretty much dribbling thru 4 defenders and then the keeper

Reaction Score
US v Colombia U23 begins tomorrow LINK

CCV and Zelaham (sp?) not called up

from MLS write up
PLAYERS TO WATCH
Jordan Morris, USA - The Seattle Sounders rookie has struggled a bit in his first several professional games, but on a team that will likely be looking to defend first and grab goals at opportune moments, he'll likely be the Americans' go-to scoring option.

Juan Fernando Quintero, Colombia - The diminutive playmaker has long been one of the best Colombian prospects and already has experience in several European leagues, currently plying his trade in Ligue 1 for Rennes. If Quintero is given free reign, the US will be forced to play on the back foot.

ROSTERS
USA
GOALKEEPERS (3): Cody Cropper (Milton Keynes Dons, ENG), Ethan Horvath (Molde FK, NOR), Tyler Miller (Seattle Sounders)

DEFENDERS (8): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Matt Miazga (Chelsea FC, ENG), Eric Miller (Colorado Rapids), Tim Parker (Vancouver Whitecaps FC), Desevio Payne (FC Groningen, NED), Shane O’Neill (Cambridge United, ENG), Brandon Vincent (Chicago Fire), Walker Zimmerman (FC Dallas)

MIDFIELDERS (9): Fatai Alashe (San Jose Earthquakes), Paul Arriola (Club Tijuana, MEX), Luis Gil (Queretaro, MEX), Julian Green (Bayern Munich, GER), Emerson Hyndman (Fulham FC, ENG), Jerome Kiesewetter (VfB Stuttgart, GER), Matt Polster (Chicago Fire), Dillon Serna (Colorado Rapids), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC)

FORWARDS (3): Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC), Mario Rodriguez (Borussia Monchengladbach, GER), Khiry Shelton (New York City FC)

Colombia
GOALKEEPERS (3): Cristian Bonilla (Atletico Nacional, COL), Alvaro Montero (San Lorenzo, ARG), Luis Hurtado (Deportivo Cali, COL)

DEFENDERS (9): Cristian Borja (Santa Fe, COL), Yerry Mina (Santa Fe, COL), Jaine Barreiro (Santa Fe, COL), Luis Orejuela (Deportivo Cali, COL), Deiver Machado (Millonarios, COL), Felipe Aguilar (Atletico Nacional, COL), Davinson Sanchez (Atletico Nacional, COL), Helibelton Palacios (Deportivo Cali, COL), Jherson Vergara (Livorno, ITA)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Juan Pablo Nieto (Atletico Nacional, COL), Juan Fernando Quintero (Rennes, FRA), Yony Gonzalez (Junior, COL), Raul Loaiza (Patriotas, COL), Jose Leudo (Deportivo Pasto, COL), Wilmar Barrios (Deportes Tolima, COL), Andres Felipe Roa (Deportivo Cali, COL), Jarlan Barrera (Junior, COL)

FORWARDS (5): Roger Martinez (Racing Club, ARG), Cristian Dajome (Deportes Tolima, COL), Harold Preciado (Deportivo Cali, COL), Rafael Santos Borre (Deportivo Cali, COL), Andres Renteria (Santos Laguna, MEX)

Reaction Score
I plan to watch the game today. US needs to win this series to give the youngsters some quality development time in the Olympics.

Reaction Score
It's a pretty decent sports TV night... US U23 @ Colombia U23 at 5pm; ISU v UVa and Wisconsin v ND start a little after 7pm; Zags v Cuse and IU v UNC get going between 9:45-10pm; and the USMNT @ Guatemala starts at 10pm

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It was a nice goal for US, and they missed a 'somewhat' point blank chance to go up 2-0 early. Good result overall with a road draw and away goal. Big game in Texas coming up (I think Colombia will win that one, unfortunately).

Reaction Score
Did not impact the game; but, the Yellow card Cooper got was a horrible. The wind clearly moved the ball of the spot he set for a goal kick and was simply re-setting the ball, not delaying the game. If the referee missed it, he should have conferred with his linesman before pulling out a Yellow. That was horrible officiating.

Reaction Score
Can we use the U-23s for World Cup qualifying? At least those guys care.

Jurgen and this current pool have me completely disinterested. No more Diskerud please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom