US Open Cup and CT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

US Open Cup and CT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think so. In most other countries the universities are not feeders for the major leagues. Kids by University age are/have been playing in the academies or are in the reserves or 1st teams of professional teams.

Yes, the PDL (Premier Developmental League) is mostly stocked with college players. The league runs in the summer. AC Connecticut, a PDL team that was talked about in one of these threads has players from Quinnipiac, UCONN, CCSU, Fairfield, Post U among others.

The PDL is involved in the Open Cup.

When I studied in France for a semester, I played and started for the college's soccer/football team as a defensive center midfielder while at UConn I would have been challenged to make the intermural Skull & Bones team. For the most part, college sports in Europe are an advanced form of Intermurals. The real talent goes to the academies and clubs.

Reaction Score
Seacoast United and that Pub Team from Colorado, Harpos FC were eliminated last night.

Tonight is the draw for the next round. Hoping that Sporting KC gets the winner of the St. Louis/Minnesota United game, but Sporting could also get one of the Oklahoma teams. St. Louis would be a big game regionally, although last season Minnesota traveled a bunch of fans down.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Looks like only 5 non USL teams advanced past this round. Jersey express beat Red Bulls USL team and are joined by Chattanooga FC, PSA Elite, Chula Vista FC, and Ventura County Fusion. Will be interesting to see if any of those 5 move on anymore.

Reaction Score

Thanks. not surprising that they are making NYC FC play on the road at the Cosmos at at St John's. The really need their own home and fast. I did not know that Pittsburgh had a new soccer venue. Ditto for the Revs who will play at Harvard. On the small side; but, one heck of a location right on the river facing downtown Pittsburgh. I have see Charlestown's stadium as it is next to the baseball stadium where I went to a game at it's also small; but nice. That's a great city to visit for a weekend.

Reaction Score
Thanks. not surprising that they are making NYC FC play on the road at the Cosmos at at St John's. The really need their own home and fast. I did not know that Pittsburgh had a new soccer venue. Ditto for the Revs who will play at Harvard. On the small side; but, one heck of a location right on the river facing downtown Pittsburgh. I have see Charlestown's stadium as it is next to the baseball stadium where I went to a game at it's also small; but nice. That's a great city to visit for a weekend.

Seattle also plays at Starfire. But I was wondering where NYC FC would play Cup matches. The Cosmos might kill them. They beat the Red Bulls last year.

Reaction Score
Baaaaad night for the NASL last night. I caught the end of the Minnesota-St. Louis game. Minnesota totally choked in Penalties. The only NASL clubs that advanced were the Silverbacks and the Cosmos. But both played PDL teams.

Some good matchups in the next round. Cosmos get NYC FC, which could go either way given how bad NYC FC has been. LA Galaxy are playing an amateur team. And Seattle and Portland face off, which is rough.

Possible upsets are St. Louis over SKC. SKC usually field reserves in the first round. Not much of a gap between MLS reserves and USL/NASL players.

Louisville could very well beat Chicago.

Sacramento over the Quakes is a possibility.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/05/28/us-open-cup-schedule-fourth-round

• June 16, 7:30 pm ET, PPL Park
Philadelphia Union vs. Rochester Rhinos (USL)

• June 16, 7:30 pm ET, Red Bull Arena
New York Red Bulls vs. Atlanta Silverbacks (NASL)

• June 16, 8:30 pm ET, Sporting Park
Sporting Kansas City vs. Saint Louis FC (USL)

• June 16, 8:30 pm ET, Toyota Park
Chicago Fire vs. Louisville City (USL)

• June 16, 9 pm ET, TCU Soccer Stadium
FC Dallas vs. OKC Energy (USL)

• June 16, 9 pm ET, Dick's Sporting Goods Park
Colorado Rapids vs. Colorado Springs Switchbacks (USL)

• June 16, 10 pm ET, Rio Tinto Stadium
Real Salt Lake vs. Seattle Sounders 2 (USL)

• June 16, 10:30 pm ET, Avaya Stadium
San Jose Earthquakes vs. Sacramento Republic (USL)

• June 16, 10:30 pm ET, Starfire Stadium
Seattle Sounders vs. Portland Timbers

• June 17, 7 pm ET, Richmond City Stadium
Richmond Kickers (USL) vs. Columbus Crew SC

• June 17, 7 pm ET, Highmark Stadium
Pittsburgh Riverhounds (USL) vs. D.C. United

• June 17, 7:30 pm ET, Shuart Stadium
New York Cosmos (NASL) vs. New York City FC

• June 17, 7:30 pm ET, Blackbaud Stadium
Charleston Battery (USL) vs. Orlando City

• June 17, 7:30 pm ET, Soldiers Field
New England Revolution vs. Charlotte Independence (USL)

• June 17, 9 pm ET, BBVA Compass Stadium
Houston Dynamo vs. Austin Aztex (USL)

• June 17, 10:30 pm ET, StubHub Center
LA Galaxy vs. PSA Elite (USASA Reg. IV)

Reaction Score
I-70 Derby.

Everybody wanted this game. They would be a good add to MLS if they can build things up. St. Louis is a soccer mecca in the US. But this is the first ever meeting.

Supposedly, SKC fans have been blocking sales to STL fans on the secondary market.

Will probably listen to the Women play on the radio on the way down and no doubt it will be on the jumbotrons until pregame.

Reaction Score
Here is what I am predicting as upsets. Predicting American soccer is about as useless as can be. There is a reason Vegas won't touch it with a ten foot pole. But whatever.

Cosmos over NYCFC

I am picking the Cosmos simply because they care more. This is the most important competition for the Cosmos, they want to win the US Open Cup simply because they are on a Don Quixoteesque crusade against MLS for some reason. Plus, they want to qualify for the CONCACAF Champions League and this is their only way in.

The Cosmos are host and they play at Shuart Stadium which is basically a lacrosse stadium, The turf is weird and it has more lines than NY Mets had in their locker room in 1986. NYC FC might find the venue a bit too alien for their liking.

Cosmos wrapped up NASL Spring Season Championship early and have been resting guys.

This could be an interesting match. Raul/Senna against Villa/Diskerud. I may actually have to fire up Youtube and watch this. The atmosphere has the potential to be a little nuts too, Cosmos have small but vocal fanbase, NYC fans will probably show up in force.

Portland over Seattle.

Seattle is missing their heavy hitters in midfield. Dempsey has never played at Starfire. Martins might still be recovering. Marco Pappa is on intl duty. And a bunch of other absences.

OKC over FC Dallas

OKC is a good team, Dallas is really bad right now and they just played over the weekend.

PSA Elite (Whoever these guys are, not even Professional) over LA.

Bruce Arena will deliberately try to lose this one like he always does. He'll start a garbage lineup, pick a bizarre formation, and then spend the game at a Starbucks. He really doesn't care about this comp.

If LA wins, he'll repeat the process in the next round.

Switchbacks over Colorado

Because Colorado.

Reaction Score
All MLS teams won last night. Only notable event was Portland beating Seattle in extra time 3-1.

Seattle went down to 7 men! 3 ejections and injury after all subs were used. Dempsey got so PO'd that he ripped up the referee's book or game card and was ejected. He could be looking at a lengthy suspension for that. I saw a GIF or Vine on it and it was hilarious but pretty damn disrespectful. He should probably lose his US Captaincy over that. And I like Dempsey..

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
All MLS teams won last night. Only notable event was Portland beating Seattle in extra time 3-1.

Seattle went down to 7 men! 3 ejections and injury after all subs were used. Dempsey got so PO'd that he ripped up the referee's book or game card and was ejected. He could be looking at a lengthy suspension for that. I saw a or Vine on it and it was hilarious but pretty damn disrespectful. He should probably lose his US Captaincy over that. And I like Dempsey..
I like Dempsey. One of my favorites, but he can be pretty damn impertinent.

Probably not getting much sleep with the new baby. ;)

Reaction Score

Not good. By the book, this should be a three month ban. He could miss the Gold Cup if US Soccer actually enforces its rules.

Reaction Score
Did anyone see the whole game? Was the refereeing that abysmal or one sided? Not excusing Dempsey's behavior, just curious.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Hopefully some non MLS teams can pull out some wins tonight. Would be rather dull if all MLS teams advance. It's always fun to see some underdogs slay the big boys

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Watching the #eastriverderby... the abbreviations in the score box on screen are confusing - NYC for Cosmos and NFC for NYCFC. Instead of white or green, the Cosmos are wearing medium blue while City wears their light blue. And then the announcers are calling City "NYC".

Oh, here's a Poku golazo.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Watching the #eastriverderby... the abbreviations in the score box on screen are confusing - NYC for Cosmos and NFC for NYCFC. Instead of white or green, the Cosmos are wearing medium blue while City wears their light blue. And then the announcers are calling City "NYC".

Oh, here's a Poku golazo.
What channel is it on? I was looking for either that game or the Revs game but neither seem to be on?

junglehusky

Reaction Score
... and NE goes down!

Meanwhile, a horrible PK called on Charleston in extra time. OCSC scores the penalty.

Cosmos come back to equalize and are headed to extra time.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score

Not good. By the book, this should be a three month ban. He could miss the Gold Cup if US Soccer actually enforces its rules.

Just watched this...where the hell are they playing? They couldn't play the game at the Timbers stadium?? Instead they played at a high school?

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
This is crazy...been flipping back back and forth between the Orlando City game and the Cosmos game....Orlando wins in the 10th round of PKs. Cosmos just saved the 5th PK when they needed it

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Wow Cosmos got two clutch saves at the end and snuck one by the goalie to get the win. So Revs and NYCFC are two MLS teams out. Only LA to play and they are against a team lower then USL

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Just watched this...where the hell are they playing? They couldn't play the game at the Timbers stadium?? Instead they played at a high school?
Other MLS clubs play cup games away from their main stadiums... I think Seattle plays at their training facility. Revs were playing at Harvard's Soldier field.

Great atmosphere for the Cosmos. They "only" needed six rounds of PKs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom