Updated Boston Diaco meet-n-greet | The Boneyard

Updated Boston Diaco meet-n-greet

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
We outta cambridge and back at the Greatest Bar.....looking forward to meeting the man to take us to the next LEVEL!

2ce98d3f4709f449bbc54ec225ebe638_Diaco_BostonPromoImage.jpg

Reaction Score
That's the bar where we watched UConn beat Florida in the Final Four. Very good venue. I'd very much love to be there but it's my Granddaughter's 8th Grade Graduation. (Funny but I don't remember "graduating" from 8th grade in a ceremony--but that's the world we live in now.)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hope they get a big turnout. Impossible for me to go, too busy at work, and that location is a nightmare for those of us in the Boston suburbs. I really wish they'd find a different spot for the alumni watch parties.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Looks like there will be a good turnout. 32 signed up, I've got a couple of friends joining me and I'm sure others do. If any yarders want to meet up or b!tch about the AAC, short balding guy in a blue uconn polo.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
It was a solid showing in Boston for UConn, over 100 alum including some former football players. The event was MC'd by Gresh - I was able to spend a lot of time talking to him. He's doing the UVA game on SNY as well as some UMass games. We talked about the sports segment on TIC (and all of the stupid traffic updates) and the fact that TIC is not on FM but they do already have an FM station. He's got a crazy commute from the MA/RI line, sounds like the TIC thing is temporary. He talked a little about his URI days and one story about Holtz getting really angry about losing and burying a bunch of crap at URI after the loss. Met @Penfield, nice seeing at least one boneyarder in the house. I did not get a chance to talk to Diaco (never made it around to our table) but he spoke at the end and it's funny how hyped and excited he gets when talking about the team and our opportunities.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping this is the year the OL turns the corner, Newsome has a big season, the passing game gets back to mediocre with the occasional big play, the defense stays solid, and we're looking at 8 wins and a 2nd straight bowl game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm hoping this is the year the OL turns the corner, Newsome has a big season, the passing game gets back to mediocre with the occasional big play, the defense stays solid, and we're looking at 8 wins and a 2nd straight bowl game.

Unfortunately this statement has been made each of the past six seasons.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately this statement has been made each of the past six seasons.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

I get your point, but it actually hasn't. 1) We're coming off a bowl game (can't say that for any of the prior 5 seasons) and 2) We're bringing back much more stability in the coaching staff.

It's also hard to argue that Diaco and company don't give our optimism a much stronger foundation than the prior staff.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I get your point, but it actually hasn't. 1) We're coming off a bowl game (can't say that for any of the prior 5 seasons) and 2) We're bringing back much more stability in the coaching staff.

It's also hard to argue that Diaco and company don't give our optimism a much stronger foundation than the prior staff.
I don't remember any fan back in 2013 with as much optimism as there is entering this season.

Most were cautiously pessimistic (i.e. it would have been a bad thing if UConn won. Former "Coach" Pasqualoni would have "earned" a stay of execution for winning a game he was supposed to) that UConn would beat Towson.

Reaction Score
I live in South Boston and attended this event. I was really excited. My take:

I was incredibly disappointed. There were not 100 people there. That is a flat-out lie...maybe 50...at most. Diaco also prioritized the guys in suits (ie donors or special alums). He had no interest in talking to the younger fans (like those sitting at the bar such as myself). The fans that were there were very clique-y (in true Boston form - non-welcoming to outsiders). Gresh was as awful as I expected. Hell...even the raffle drawings seemed rigged to benefit certain individuals.

I will not attend another one of these events. That is certain.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
I live in South Boston and attended this event. I was really excited. My take:

I was incredibly disappointed. There were not 100 people there. That is a flat-out lie...maybe 50...at most. Diaco also prioritized the guys in suits (ie donors or special alums). He had no interest in talking to the younger fans (like those sitting at the bar such as myself). The fans that were there were very clique-y (in true Boston form - non-welcoming to outsiders). Gresh was as awful as I expected. Hell...even the raffle drawings seemed rigged to benefit certain individuals.

I will not attend another one of these events. That is certain.
Sounds like you had a blast. The alumni host said over 100 registered, she had a two page list. I had friends attend who did not register. Cheers.

Reaction Score
Sounds like you had a blast. The alumni host said over 100 registered, she had a two page list. I had friends attend who did not register. Cheers.

Cool story. There were 2 pages...but the second page was less than half full. Also, just because people registered doesn't mean they showed up.

At least 20% of the people there weren't UCONN fans. They were watching the end of the Red Sox game/getting ready for the draft.

Don't let facts get in the way of your argument. Great spin though...

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Cool story. There were 2 pages...but the second page was less than half. Also, just because people registered doesn't mean they showed up.

At least 20% of the people there weren't UCONN fans. They were watching the end of the Red Sox game/getting ready for the draft.

Don't let facts get in the way of your argument...
Sorry that you got duped by that rigged raffle.

Reaction Score
Sorry that you got duped by that rigged raffle.

That's all you got? Sorry, but I'm gonna call out a bullsh!tter. Truth is the truth. The event was sub-par with laughable attendance. Try again little guy.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

I truly think Matt Peart is going to help us make HUGE strides on o line. Levy had a ton of trouble at LT, and will hopefully give us a better season at LG. Getting Crozier back is also huge. Another year for Knappe to better understand the intricacies of football. I hope we're pleasantly surprised by the line

huskypantz

Reaction Score
That's all you got? Sorry, but I'm gonna call out a bullsh!tter. Truth is the truth. The event was sub-par with laughable attendance. Try again little guy.
What exactly were you expecting from the event? Cheerleaders giving hand jobs? Maybe Diaco could have served you drinks while you sat at the bar grumbling.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I definitely had fun in Hartford. Also, there's no way that Diaco was prioritizing big donors. There were definitely large donors in Hartford, and HCBD went through a serious effort to visit every table and talk to every single person. When I spoke with him I was in a group and was very tight lipped--pretty much only said my name at the beginning of the conversation and then shut up. When he left five minutes later he said goodbye to me by name, which might seem simple but really struck me. He's talking to hundreds of people and I was incredibly quiet, yet he still remembered my name. He makes a point to not only talk to everyone, but to make them feel welcome. Seemed like a good dude.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Wow, you should step away from the 'roids. A biit of pent up agression there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom