Upcoming USA U19 Basketball trials... | The Boneyard

Upcoming USA U19 Basketball trials...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
USA U19 trials about a month away May 14-17. Invitations have already been sent out. I would love to be a fly on the wall for the summer just to watch the recruiting story lines and the politicking that is going on among the players. Those that make the team get to spend almost the entire month of July (9-26) together. These players are probably locks to make the team. Cox (Uncommitted), Turner (ND), Wilson (South Carolina). Durr (Louisville), The Pheenom (UCONN) and KLS (UCONN). These players IMO have a good shot of making the team Boykin (UCONN), Holmes (Uncommitted), Dangerfield (UCONN), & Ionescu (Uncommitted), Ogunbowale (ND), Stevens (Duke), Mitchell (OSU) Brown (Baylor). Keeping my fingers crossed that both Dangerfield & Boykin make this team. That would give UCONN superior numbers. Politic strongly ladies! Strength in Numbers!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Fingers crossed for us to do some stealth recruiting!

Will Collier be able to play on that team? Last year she played on the U18 because she was too old (I think) to play on the team with KLS and Boykin in the U17. But it's 1 year later - will KLS, Boykin, etc all play up on the U19 team? or would they play on the U18 team? Or is there even one or each?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Will Collier be able to play on that team? Last year she played on the U18 because she was too old (I think) to play on the team with KLS and Boykin in the U17. But it's 1 year later - will KLS, Boykin, etc all play up on the U19 team? or would they play on the U18 team? Or is there even one or each?
From USA Basketball for the U19 FIBA World Championships

Athletes eligible for this team must be 19-or-younger (born on or after Jan. 1, 1996) and U.S. citizens.

Also from USA Basketball

Napheesa Collier
POS:
G/F
HGT:
6-1
WGT:
DOB:
09/23/1996
School:
Incarnate Word Academy ('15)/ #Connecticut
Hometown:
O'Fallon, MO

Looks good for her.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Ahh thanks Meyers. But weren't the other 2 on the U17 team last year? why wouldn't they be on the U18 this year?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMHO it will be interesting to see how USA Basketball assigns players to the U19 Team and the Pan Am Games Team. Trials for both teams are held at the same time. I'm sure there will be players although under 19 USA Basketball might consider assigning to the Pan Am Team.

HGN

Reaction Score
I was hoping that the UConn girls would sit this one out..........Get some R&R and let the body relax and heal for a month from the HS and tournament grinds....... Plus , to be honest , I was hoping to avoid any more possible injuries or tweaks.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
Tryouts for the World University Games will also be during that time. All college players who have at least a year of eligibility left are able to compete. I assume Stewart, Jefferson, & Tuck would be invited.

For Tennessee, Diamond, Mercedes, & Bashaara were invited to tryout for this and the PanAm team.

I would assume the majority of players invited are eligible for multiple teams, but can only be selected for one.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Tryouts for the World University Games will also be during that time. All college players who have at least a year of eligibility left are able to compete. I assume Stewart, Jefferson, & Tuck would be invited.

For Tennessee, Diamond, Mercedes, & Bashaara were invited to tryout for this and the PanAm team.

I would assume the majority of players invited are eligible for multiple teams, but can only be selected for one.

I don’t think it is a complicated as it might appear. First I’d take Stewie off the list for any of the teams we are talking about. You don’t go from playing on The national team to “trying out” for World University Games team or Pan American games. Stewie’s next stop for USA basketball is in Rio. Under 19 team really is only HS and College freshmen by age restriction. That would leave 2 years worth of college players to fill 2 teams my assumption being that worthy 2015 graduating seniors have WNBA season starting immediately therefore not available. Plenty of talent IMO.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Stewart played in the last Pan Am Games, no reason to think she won't play in this one either, unless she doesn't want to.

I'm sure some WNBA GM's would love to see Moriah play on the Pan AM Team as well as many of the players they'll play against will be professional players. It would an indication how well Moriah will play at the next level. There are questions because of her size.

I don’t think it is a complicated as it might appear. First I’d take Stewie off the list for any of the teams we are talking about. You don’t go from playing on The national team to “trying out” for World University Games team or Pan American games. Stewie’s next stop for USA basketball is in Rio. Under 19 team really is only HS and College freshmen by age restriction. That would leave 2 years worth of college players to fill 2 teams my assumption being that worthy 2015 graduating seniors have WNBA season starting immediately therefore not available. Plenty of talent IMO.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
From USA Basketball for the U19 FIBA World Championships

Athletes eligible for this team must be 19-or-younger (born on or after Jan. 1, 1996) and U.S. citizens.

Also from USA Basketball

Napheesa Collier
POS:
G/F
HGT:
6-1
WGT:
DOB:
09/23/1996
School:
Incarnate Word Academy ('15)/ #Connecticut
Hometown:
O'Fallon, MO

Looks good for her.
Napheesa is listed as a Guard/Forward here. Bob Mackey says she can play several positions, including guard. And Napheesa says that Geno wants to play her at guard. I look for her to be all over the floor, creating various types of mismatches.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
So Stewart just sits at home this summer instead of playing for her country? I didn't realize it was beneath her to play on a USA team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So Stewart just sits at home this summer instead of playing for her country? I didn't realize it was beneath her to play on a USA team.
Not beneath her, a step backwards IMO because she played on The National Team this past summer. She has played up (above her age group) on every USA basketball and was USA basketball player of the year already. Yes, frankly she could use a summer off from USA basketball in preparation for Summer of 2016 in Rio.

Reaction Score
I was hoping that the UConn girls would sit this one out.....Get some R&R and let the body relax and heal for a month from the HS and tournament grinds.. Plus , to be honest , I was hoping to avoid any more possible injuries or tweaks.
Especially KLS.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
USA U19 trials about a month away May 14-17. Invitations have already been sent out. I would love to be a fly on the wall for the summer just to watch the recruiting story lines and the politicking that is going on among the players. Those that make the team get to spend almost the entire month of July (9-26) together. These players are probably locks to make the team. Cox (Uncommitted), Turner (ND), Wilson (South Carolina). Durr (Louisville), The Pheenom (UCONN) and KLS (UCONN). These players IMO have a good shot of making the team Boykin (UCONN), Holmes (Uncommitted), Dangerfield (UCONN), & Ionescu (Uncommitted), Ogunbowale (ND), Stevens (Duke), Mitchell (OSU) Brown (Baylor). Keeping my fingers crossed that both Dangerfield & Boykin make this team. That would give UCONN superior numbers. Politic strongly ladies! Strength in Numbers!

Is that list the official list of players or just your thoughts on who should be invited based on the past year?

Because I'm pretty sure Mitchell has kind of told USA basketball she was done with them because their style of play doesn't match hers. But things change.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/womens/news/story?id=6606818

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I was hoping that the UConn girls would sit this one out.....Get some R&R and let the body relax and heal for a month from the HS and tournament grinds.. Plus , to be honest , I was hoping to avoid any more possible injuries or tweaks.
I am all for UCONN girls getting thier rest but not that rest comes at the expense of them playing USA basketball. They are going to be playing basketball anyway weather it is pickup games or individual workouts whther they are at home or @Uconn early on campus. Playing for USA basketball gives them a leg up in terms of facilities, level of competion, & instruction. Assume they were at UCONN in the summer the facilities and level of competition might be comparable but the coaching input is limited by NCAA as is the number of players that you can have in any session I beleive.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Napheesa is listed as a Guard/Forward here. Bob Mackey says she can play several positions, including guard. And Napheesa says that Geno wants to play her at guard.

Milford, Collier said she wouldn't be in the post. How she knows that already I have no idea, but either way, she didn't say she'll be playing guard. The last time she played guard was as a high school freshmen, and that was simply due to being by far the best player so they put her at point.

If you get a chance, watch this AAU game from last year. You'll see that her biggest weakness is probably her handle.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is that list the official list of players or just your thoughts on who should be invited based on the past year?

Because I'm pretty sure Mitchell has kind of told USA basketball she was done with them because their style of play doesn't match hers. But things change.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/womens/news/story?id=6606818
Q: Is that list the official list of players or just your thoughts on who should be invited based on the past year?
A: Just my rambling thoughts.
C: Mitchell has kind of told USA basketball she was done with them because their style of play doesn't match hers.
R: Wow that is news to me and very interesting! You are talking about Kelsey Mitchell (OSU) right? That would be a pretty brash statement for someone who had not started college yet. I was basing it on her success as a Freshmen this year.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Q: Is that list the official list of players or just your thoughts on who should be invited based on the past year?
A: Just my rambling thoughts.
C: Mitchell has kind of told USA basketball she was done with them because their style of play doesn't match hers.
R: Wow that is news to me and very interesting! You are talking about Kelsey Mitchell (OSU) right? That would be a pretty brash statement for someone who had not started college yet. I was basing it on her success as a Freshmen this year.

Oh! Okay. I kind of figured but hoped it was the list of invitees. Was hoping maybe Mitchell and USA forgot the past. Not to say they were on bad terms or anything.

Yeah. I was disappointed in her statements but maybe after some time to mature she has changed her tune. Because it would be great experience for her and help OSU improve even more with what she will have learned. I guess we will wait and see.

Reaction Score

There are only two teams each year. One year is the U16 Pan American and U19 Worlds.
The next year is the U17 Worlds for those who qualified and the U18 Pan Americans to qualify for the Worlds.

In other words, there are no U-16 or U-18 Worlds, just qualifying tournaments. That means that those players from both of last year's teams (U-17,U-18) are in competition for the U-19 teams.

As an aside, given that the U.S. has to have two college-level teams this year for the Pan-American games and the World University games, I seriously doubt if any college players will be on the U-19 team, even if they are eligible age-wise. Those two teams only have three classes to draw from (Freshman,Sophomore,Junior); players graduating are not eligible for either roster.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
USA basketball has had sort of strange selections for Pan Am and University games teams in the past - not sure if it was on availability or a choice to involve other kids than their 'regulars'. Stewart and KML will be at the National team practices at the beginning of May by the way. And I agree, not sure Stewart would turn around and try out for either team.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ahh thanks Meyers. But weren't the other 2 on the U17 team last year? why wouldn't they be on the U18 this year?
Not sure U18 plays anything this year. Only U19 and U17 World Championships are listed on FIBA website.

Reaction Score
UConn players play where Geno wants them to play. We haven't always had traditional starting lineups. In 2002 were any of the front court players a true center? No, but that seemed to work out alright. Natalie is a true center, but with many of the other players there is a lot of flexibility.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
UConn players play where Geno wants them to play. We haven't always had traditional starting lineups. In 2002 were any of the front court players a true center? No, but that seemed to work out alright. Natalie is a true center, but with many of the other players there is a lot of flexibility.

scratch.gif

Reaction Score

I hear what you're saying HGN, but when basketball is in your blood and you're used to playing all the time, then you try to play against/with the best as much as possible. When you're healthy and young, you don't think about rest or being injured. In the case of KLS and her shoulder, she coils use the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom