University of Texas Rio Grande Valley In Football Feasibility Study | The Boneyard

University of Texas Rio Grande Valley In Football Feasibility Study

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
UTRGV announces football consultant group

"Amid the swaying palm trees and construction cranes that dot its rapidly expanding campus, UT-Rio Grande Valley is taking shape as a growing university.

But for all of the excitement about the institution’s new medical school and its expected enrollment explosion, one recent bit of news has helped boost interest for the school in a way that has captivated the Valley.

The announcement that UTRGV has commissioned a study on the feasibility of starting a football program has excited fans across the area, although not all are immediately embracing the concept.

UTRGV currently fields teams in eight men’s and eight women’s sports. But athletic director Chris King says even in the budding stages of the football study, he detects excitement from local fans about the possibility of a team.

“There’s not a day that goes by when I don’t hear somebody say something about football,” King said. “If somebody is from the Valley and believes in the Valley, it seems they want to see football here. I hear it every day.”"

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If anything we need less schools at the FBS level, not more.

Reaction Score
Murican college football is expanding into Mexico!

Reaction Score
Rutgers already has UTRGV penciled in for their home opener in 2019.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Rutgers already has UTRGV penciled in for their home opener in 2019.

Nope, it's a road game. They want to play in front of those Texas recruits.

Reaction Score

"Amid the swaying palm trees and construction cranes that dot its rapidly expanding campus, UT-Rio Grande Valley is taking shape as a growing university.

But for all of the excitement about the institution’s new medical school and its expected enrollment explosion, one recent bit of news has helped boost interest for the school in a way that has captivated the Valley.

The announcement that UTRGV has commissioned a study on the feasibility of starting a football program has excited fans across the area, although not all are immediately embracing the concept.

UTRGV currently fields teams in eight men’s and eight women’s sports. But athletic director Chris King says even in the budding stages of the football study, he detects excitement from local fans about the possibility of a team.

“There’s not a day that goes by when I don’t hear somebody say something about football,” King said. “If somebody is from the Valley and believes in the Valley, it seems they want to see football here. I hear it every day.”"
UTRGV?? Where are they? I thought UTEP was Texas Rio Grande Vally..

Will UConn Waterbury or UConn Avery Point getting a football team? Seriously, I wish ECSU had a FB team...

Reaction Score
UTRGV is the merger of two UT schools (Pan American & Brownsville - I think). Started life with an enrollment bigger than UConn.

This Football/Conference cartel is a snapshot of how the CFB world looked in 1990, Today, many new State Universities have explosive growth. One of the things that may just bust the whole structure: how do you lock out some very dynamic growth programs and then you keep the old traditional flops.

Reaction Score
Murican college football is expanding into Mexico!
No great surprise a quick scan of rosters in border states and beyond reveals increasing Latino names, including a fair number of guys born in Mexico or children of Mexicans. Additionally, the NFL has a regular season game scheduled for the first time since 2005; in Ciudad de Mexico.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tom Fears was of Mexican descent. His career started in the 1940s.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

It's NOT a valley. It's a flat as a pancake coastal flood plain. Just because a big river runs through it doesn't make it a valley. Their nickname ought to be the Flatlanders.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
UTRGV?? Where are they? I thought UTEP was Texas Rio Grande Vally..

Will UConn Waterbury or UConn Avery Point getting a football team? Seriously, I wish ECSU had a FB team...

Edinburg, near McAllen. Edinburg is the county seat of Hidalgo Co.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
It's NOT a valley. It's a flat as a pancake coastal flood plain. Just because a big river runs through it doesn't make it a valley. Their nickname ought to be the Flatlanders.
Glad you got that off your chest.

Reaction Score

In Texas, The Flatlanders are a great Americana musical group consisting of Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Joe Ely, and Butch Hancock. Rather popular down there. They get first dibs on the use of that name.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69