University of Connecticut Unveils Master Plan For Tech Park | The Boneyard

University of Connecticut Unveils Master Plan For Tech Park

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The vision for a long-delayed technology park at the University of Connecticut's main campus in Storrs encompasses nearly a million square feet of research, laboratory and business incubator space, a plan the university expects will raise its profile as a research center.

Thursday, the university and its architect unveiled an ambitious master plan for the 900,000-square-foot technology park to be located off North Eagleville Road in three clusters of buildings that would likely be built over the next 10-15 years on 300 acres.

The first, the 125,000-square-foot "Innovation Partnership Building" is expected to open in 2015 at a cost of about $170 million, mostly paid for with state bond money. The building will house research equipment, flexible-use labs and incubator space.

The tech park also will help the university compete more aggressively for grants and research contracts, Holz-Clause said.

http://www.courant.com/business/real-estate/hc-uconn-technology-park-20121207,0,7970156.story

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The vision for a long-delayed technology park at the University of Connecticut's main campus in Storrs encompasses nearly a million square feet of research, laboratory and business incubator space, a plan the university expects will raise its profile as a research center.

Thursday, the university and its architect unveiled an ambitious master plan for the 900,000-square-foot technology park to be located off North Eagleville Road in three clusters of buildings that would likely be built over the next 10-15 years on 300 acres.

The first, the 125,000-square-foot "Innovation Partnership Building" is expected to open in 2015 at a cost of about $170 million, mostly paid for with state bond money. The building will house research equipment, flexible-use labs and incubator space.

The tech park also will help the university compete more aggressively for grants and research contracts, Holz-Clause said.

http://www.courant.com/business/real-estate/hc-uconn-technology-park-20121207,0,7970156.story

I cannot begin to tell you how happy I am that this is happening. If it helps our athletics, fine. But this has the real opportunity to create jobs (especially and selfishly in my own field) and propel the university to great heights...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I cannot begin to tell you how happy I am that this is happening. If it helps our athletics, fine. But this has the real opportunity to create jobs (especially and selfishly in my own field) and propel the university to great heights...

This.

I think 95% of these peeps forget that there is a university grafted onto the athletic department.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
This.

I think 95% of these peeps forget that there is a university grafted onto the athletic department.
Maybe 8 years ago or so I was visiting the campus and was near the offices in the Athletic Dept. A family walked by , the son an apparent recruit for some sport, maybe track and field. I heard the parents talking saying that UConn was the most impressive campus they had visited. This was a few years after the work of UConn 2000 was pretty complete. Granted I didn't know where else they had visited, but it made me feel pretty proud of my university. The research park is a great thing regardless of what conference our athletes compete in or who coaches them..

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
that's crazy that they're developing stuff behind charter oak apartments

Reaction Score
I think UCONN fans have some reason to be hopeful/optimistic about the possibility of a B1G invitation. It's a realistic possibility IMHO.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If there is a secret 80,000 seat stadium hidden within these plans we are B1G bound baby.

On it.

I need about seven acres of flat land, some white paint and 85,000 folding chairs.

We'll also need to avoid field level cameras....this will only pass muster with overhead shots, so I guess I'm going to need a blimp.

Reaction Score
This is great news! It will certainly enhance the UConn's research efforts and enhance the value of UConn degree. This has the possibility of being the equivalent of a Nat'l champ in academics. I don't see how anyone can not be happy about this.

Reaction Score

Farmington is also undergoing major construction to add stem cell research facilities. The changes at Uconn since the 80's have been incredible and while I'm not a fan of his, Gov. Roland deserves some credit for the first phase of investment in Uconn.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Farmington is also undergoing major construction to add stem cell research facilities. The changes at Uconn since the 80's have been incredible and while I'm not a fan of his, Gov. Roland deserves some credit for the first phase of investment in Uconn.
Imagine what he could have accomplished if he was just slightly more interested in improving UConn's campus and a bit less interested in improving his own home.

Reaction Score
On it.

I need about seven acres of flat land, some white paint and 85,000 folding chairs.

We'll also need to avoid field level cameras....this will only pass muster with overhead shots, so I guess I'm going to need a blimp.

There's no doubt this idea has merit. Didn't Ike play a similar trick on the Nazi's by deploying inflatable tanks and such prior to D-Day? In fact, wasn't there a hollowed out horse they named a condom after?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There's no doubt this idea has merit. Didn't Ike play a similar trick on the Nazi's by deploying inflatable tanks and such prior to D-Day? In fact, wasn't there a hollowed out horse they named a condom after?
I thought Black Bart (sheriff of Rock Ridge) pulled this trick in Blazing Saddles (after installing the toll booth).

Reaction Score
Rice, Tulane and SMU are the only FBS schools ranked ahead of UConn (US News) that are not in one of the big 5 conferences. And unlike them UConn is a flagship state university that has several powerhouse athletic programs. Really feels like we've gotten the short end of the stick.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Is this separate from the Jackson labs thing?
The Jackson labs facility is on the Health Center campus in Farmington. This research park will be in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Thanks JH. Wow. UConn is really stepping their game up in this area.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

I assure you, Rowland had nothing to do with it. In fact, Rowland is a major reason this wasn't done 10 years ago.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
On it.

Well you are over 300 pounds now - just saying.

Reaction Score

I assure you, Rowland had nothing to do with it. In fact, Rowland is a major reason this wasn't done 10 years ago.

How was it that Rowland was hindering development at UConn? He did sign both the UConn 2000 and UConn 2100 bills. I saw him speak at the freshman class convocation in August 1998 and he said it was his intent to see UConn be the best public university in the country. I remember thinking at the time his statement was a bit grandiose, but UConn has moved up to the top 25 and looks to be solidifying its position there. When Pfizer proposed building a facility in Storrs for research in animal vaccines it was mostly preservationists and local anti-development Mansfield people who blocked it. Rowland was very supportive of the proposal.

Last year, after the funeral for former CT House Speaker Nelson Brown, I approached the former Governor and thanked him for his support for UConn. For other reasons I never voted for him, but I always saw him as somebody who did help UConn move forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom