Understanding Shoni's Struggles. | The Boneyard

Understanding Shoni's Struggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UCONN plays Shoni like they play Penn State's Maggie Lucas.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Really looking forward to playing Notre Dame - a team with at least 3 really good scoring options. If you only have one real threat, we're good enough to shut her down (yes, no matter who it is, Odyssey) and it's game over. ND will be fun.

Reaction Score
Really looking forward to playing Notre Dame - a team with at least 3 really good scoring options. If you only have one real threat, we're good enough to shut her down (yes, no matter who it is, Odyssey) and it's game over. ND will be fun.

That and the fact that Louisville wasn't blocking out and rebounding especially on the defensive end.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
As they said, the mental energy it takes out of a shooter to be constantly guarded like that and to consequently rush any halfway open look is easy to see. But it often takes a lot out of the defender to keep that type of pressure on, but MoJeff and Bria are used to it and did well enough on the offensive end, though the numbers were down. One of the most impressive performances I've ever seen in one of these situations was by Lville's Slaughter against Baylor last year when she fronted Griner on defense and still had the energy left for some devastating shooting from the arc.

Reaction Score
Shoni looked just like Sims did in the middle of the fourth quarter. Since Sims was handling the ball more she had to sit on the bench. Shoni had a flushed look on her face.

To be honest she needs to get on a diet and slim down if she wants to play in the WNBA. Those extra pounds aren't doing her any favors.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Shoni looked just like Sims did in the middle of the fourth quarter. Since Sims was handling the ball more she had to sit on the bench. Shoni had a flushed look on her face.

To be honest she needs to get on a diet and slim down if she wants to play in the WNBA. Those extra pounds aren't doing her any favors.

True. She was done at 15:00 mark of the 2nd.

Reaction Score

I agree, Schimmel is at least 20lbs overweight, if she was in shape she would be much more productive. If Louisville had a good point guard that would help too.

JS

Reaction Score
I wonder about genetics. Have known for a long time that Native Americans have a greater than usual tendency to put on weight. The question is why.

Moving as a people from an active to sedentary lifestyle within a couple of generations is cited as one culprit. Jim Thorpe, arguably the country's greatest athlete, certainly didn't get the memo on overweight back in 1912. And you'd think even today the lifestyle explanation wouldn't apply to someone who's been a star athlete most of her life.

So I thought perhaps the lifestyle explanation could be supplemented by a longer-running story -- a genetic reason. Here's an articulation of that theory:

The “thrifty gene” hypothesis suggests that obesity results from the introduction of a continuous and ample food supply to people who have developed, through evolution, the ability to store energy efficiently, permitting survival through millennia of feast-famine cycles. Historically, for many American Indian tribes, periods of plentiful food alternated with periods of famine. Neel hypothesized that individuals predisposed to diabetes were able to survive by storing surpluses of energy as fat during plentiful periods and using energy more efficiently during times of food scarcity. With dramatic environmental changes, food became more consistently available and lifestyles became more sedentary. The thrifty gene that had been an asset became a liability with the consequential increase in the incidence of obesity. Thus, obesity may be related to a thrifty metabolism.

-- From "The Epidemic of Obesity in American Indian communities . . ." (American Journal of Clinical" Nutrition)​

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As they said, the mental energy it takes out of a shooter to be constantly guarded like that and to consequently rush any halfway open look is easy to see. But it often takes a lot out of the defender to keep that type of pressure on, but MoJeff and Bria are used to it and did well enough on the offensive end, though the numbers were down. One of the most impressive performances I've ever seen in one of these situations was by Lville's Slaughter against Baylor last year when she fronted Griner on defense and still had the energy left for some devastating shooting from the arc.
There is a big difference between defending a post player who may move 10 feet side to side and chasing a guard all around the court of 30 seconds - much more energy and effort involved getting around the screens and through the traffic as well as just the distance covered. No saying Slaughter didn't have a great game, just no the same kind of physical effort expended.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Jim Thorpe, arguably the country's greatest athlete, certainly didn't get the memo on overweight back in 1912.
Or Billy Mills in 1964.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
There is a big difference between defending a post player who may move 10 feet side to side and chasing a guard all around the court of 30 seconds - much more energy and effort involved getting around the screens and through the traffic as well as just the distance covered. No saying Slaughter didn't have a great game, just no the same kind of physical effort expended.
Well definitely a different type of energy as the guards may expend a lot of energy running and cutting, but personally I would have an easier time of it harassing a guard then going through all the arms-up shoving yanking pushing with BG in the post. That must have been a killer for Slaughter to do for the full 40 minutes. OTOH, she probably got a break on the offensive end since instead of battling in the paint a lot she had a nice easy job of staying out on the perimeter and burying 7 threes. Must have seemed relaxing by comparison.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's that. Jude plays the same position and seems to be more on the average side.
I think she's just naturally built bigger. I'm the same way.

Last edited:

HuskyPup

Dislikes Notur-Daim
Reaction Score
kiah_shoniblock.jpg

Maybe this was one of the reasons she struggled. BTW her little sister got some of this too!

Reaction Score
Her teammates were getting open shots but they couldn't hit them (as the announcers were also saying).

Reaction Score
Shonni is a little chunky and I think the speed of UConn wore he down in the second half. Conditioning is essential. It's like a Clidesdale vs a quarter horse in a mile race- not gonna happen.

Reaction Score
They were just following Walz's game plan. It's all on him. He was outcoached by Geno (so has everyone else this season).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom