UNC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nope. The writing is on the wall. New allegations just came out and there's not a single mention of men's basketball.

Just means there are no new allegations. Old ones still apply.

13091890_10103279536299879_6881049461379141182_n.jpg

caw

Reaction Score
Just means there are no new allegations. Old ones still apply.

13091890_10103279536299879_6881049461379141182_n.jpg

Does it? I've heard varying reports, but most assume that only applies to procedure not substance.

Reaction Score
I believe they are on probation from the regional accrediting board, which is not a minor thing. If UNC somehow lost accreditation, the university would be screwed as they would be locked-out of federal funding and no one would apply, except for the basketball team.

Severity of UNC probation for academic scandal questioned

This is why I continue to check out the boneyard forums. You guys really are the best OT community from any forum that I tried to follow.
This is exactly what I have been trying to tell people since the allegations came out. If their accreditation takes a hit, the NCAA may not need to come down hard on them. Thank you for finding this article!

Reaction Score
This is why I continue to check out the boneyard forums. You guys really are the best OT community from any forum that I tried to follow.
This is exactly what I have been trying to tell people since the allegations came out. If their accreditation takes a hit, the NCAA may not need to come down hard on them. Thank you for finding this article!

They are on probation from the accreditors. That probation ends in a couple months.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The charge of "impermissible benefits" to athletes who were enrolled in the so-called "paper classes" is gone. Taking that off the table certainly has the appearance of a softened stance by NCAA Enforcement.

Un-freaking-believable.

So they've created a template here. Academic fraud is fine for APR and GR so long as you allow your regular students to commit fraud as well.

I want to drive Indianapolis and burn that freaking place to ground, figuratively, of course.

Reaction Score
Been saying since day 1 they will skate. Cuss and Ville to. Emmert light, just the way it is.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Nope. The writing is on the wall. New allegations just came out and there's not a single mention of men's basketball.
Women's volleyball is on the chopping block.

Reaction Score
Still bothers me that UConn didn't sue the NCAA when they got banned, and this only adds to that.

Reaction Score
Still bothers me that UConn didn't sue the NCAA when they got banned, and this only adds to that.

At this point, any university that faces investigation or penalties of any sort should just tell the NCAA to piss off and then find some reason to drag them into court. The selective nature of their enforcement combined with their often crooked investigative procedures just cries out for the NCAA to be torn down and replaced with something that makes sense.

I wish I could say that I was amazed by what is happening here, but I am really not. For years we have heard the NCAA go on and on about student athletes, the value of academic integrity, etc. and it is all crap, period. They have never cared about it, they just throw out some penalties once in awhile to make it seem like they do. Then they get a case like this and it appears that they will do nothing. Ridiculous, just ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Honestly, when UNC skates by, I will need to start writing daily letters to the NCAA headquarters outlining how angry and ashamed I am as a basketball fan. People who are fans of all of the non-protected school really need to start a push to just complain to them nonstop, its such ridiculousness that I can't believe they could possibly have the unmitigated gall to let specific teams just never face a punishment that suits them

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Honestly, when UNC skates by, I will need to start writing daily letters to the NCAA headquarters outlining how angry and ashamed I am as a basketball fan. People who are fans of all of the non-protected school really need to start a push to just complain to them nonstop, its such ridiculousness that I can't believe they could possibly have the unmitigated gall to let specific teams just never face a punishment that suits them
I understand your frustration and feel betrayed myself, but I believe the NCAA genuinely does not care and any effort of this nature will only frustrate you more.

Being the victum of blatant double standards leads some to lash out irrationally on message boards, but that's about as far as it will ever go.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Is there any organized outside effort to discredit/change the NCAA?

Reaction Score
Is there any organized outside effort to discredit/change the NCAA?
You could boycott the big money maker, March Madness (TM). When they start losing ratings and market share they'll do something. The attendance on-sites is already terrible.

Reaction Score
Posted on another threat by another Boneyarder...

UNC academic scandal leaves university in peril beyond athletics

This article shows the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission to be bigger clowns than the NCAA. Can't help but think the article was planted as a "get tough" piece to scare folks. Nothing will happen. The string below from College Confidential shows UNC's academic reputation hasn't been touched by the perpetrated fraud. No worries, move on.

03-30-2016 at 1:03 pm
Denied-GPA 3.8 2100 SAT OOS. It was a long shot. Goodluck folks!

Rejected.
OOS, 31 ACT, 3.9 GPA

03-30-2016 at 1:05 pm
rejected oos - 33 act, 3.9 gap

03-30-2016 at 1:06 pm
Rejected. OOS, 2150 SAT, 4.34 weighted GPA (3.7 unweighted), good EC's with lots of leadership and community service, triple legacy.

03-30-2016 at 1:08 pm
LOL rejected OOS. Accepted by USC, UCLA, and Michigan.

03-30-2016 at 1:17 pm
Rejected
OOS
33 ACT
4.0 unweighted
Senior Class President
Many EC's

Reaction Score
Those are out-of-state rejections. These schools can only take so many out-of-staters.

The accrediting agency is just going to create more work for people who had nothing to do with this. The fallout in this country from our for-profit educational fiascos has managed to diminish the quality of education everywhere as administrators and faculty create metrics/assessments that are just a waste of time at the end of the day. This UNC thing is similar to the scandals we've seen in the for-profit world, only this time they come from a non-profit public institution, and the price paid is a lot of nonsense busy work from a range of people. And this will accomplish nothing by saving people's arses.

Reaction Score
This article shows the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission to be bigger clowns than the NCAA. Can't help but think the article was planted as a "get tough" piece to scare folks. Nothing will happen. The string below from College Confidential shows UNC's academic reputation hasn't been touched by the perpetrated fraud. No worries, move on.

Denied-GPA 3.8 2100 SAT OOS. It was a long shot. Goodluck folks!

Rejected.
OOS, 31 ACT, 3.9 GPA

03-30-2016 at 1:05 pm
rejected oos - 33 act, 3.9 gap

03-30-2016 at 1:06 pm
Rejected. OOS, 2150 SAT, 4.34 weighted GPA (3.7 unweighted), good EC's with lots of leadership and community service, triple legacy.

03-30-2016 at 1:08 pm
LOL rejected OOS. Accepted by USC, UCLA, and Michigan.

03-30-2016 at 1:17 pm
Rejected
OOS
33 ACT
4.0 unweighted
Senior Class President
Many EC's
My son and his friends just went through the college application process and UNC is really hard to get into out of state. I don't think they take very many out of state kids. Friends of his who got into Cal-Berkeley, Virginia and Michigan, just to name a few of the top state schools, all didn't get into UNC. I'd imagine it must be easier to get into if you are from North Carolina.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I want to drive Indianapolis and burn that freaking place to ground, figuratively, of course.
I had my finger on the LIKE button until I found the word "figuratively" in your last sentence.
Will someone stand up about this? Someone in the media needs to recognize the sham that this phase is becoming and call for ME's head. There's no way that 30 years of academic fraud gets a lesser punishment than we did for telling the truth, and yet it looks like it might happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom