UNC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Skimmed through it but was the men's team or football team mentioned?

Reaction Score
Nope,

the only time the word Men's is used in the entire document is

"Provide the institution's overall conference affiliation, as well as the total enrollment on campus and the number of men's and women's sports sponsored."

Reaction Score

Nope but the allegations from 2015 still apply. Read the first page of the new report. Anything less than a postseason ban and the NCAA loses 100% of my respect. These programs like Kentucky and UNC think they can do whatever they want because they think they're bigger than the sport itself.

Reaction Score
Nope but the allegations from 2015 still apply. Read the first page of the new report. Anything less than a postseason ban and the NCAA loses 100% of my respect. These programs like Kentucky and UNC think they can do whatever they want because they think they're bigger than the sport itself.

Jim tell me you didn't say "Kentucky" my God? Trouble around the corner.

Reaction Score
"This is a replacement of" the original allegations, Cunningham says. So original football, men's basketball references are wiped away.

Reaction Score
"This is a replacement of" the original allegations, Cunningham says. So original football, men's basketball references are wiped away.

I haven't heard anyone suggest this is anything other than the expected minor tweak that came from UNC self-reporting a few small things. The purpose of doing that extra self-reporting was basically to force the NCAA to do this tweak so that it would take the timeline past last season, but there was never any suggestion that anything would go away.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If the NCAA has any interest in academic integrity, they will nuke any and all records during the period in question which I do not believe includes their 2005 title, might include 2009, I forget.

Going forward, they should get postseason bans in all affected sports and scholarship reductions consistent with what Penn State actually served. That's two season ban and three seasons of reduced scholarships. Minimum.

Reaction Score
I haven't heard anyone suggest this is anything other than the expected minor tweak that came from UNC self-reporting a few small things. The purpose of doing that extra self-reporting was basically to force the NCAA to do this tweak so that it would take the timeline past last season, but there was never any suggestion that anything would go away.
Well heres the original full tweet, which comes from Bubba Cunningham's (UNC AD) press conference call

Andrew CarterVerified account‏@_andrewcarter

Andrew Carter ‏@_andrewcarter 45m45 minutes ago
There had been some confusion over whether this was in addition to previous charges. Amended NOA replaces those charges.

Reaction Score
Well heres the original full tweet, which comes from Bubba Cunningham's (UNC AD) press conference call

There had been some confusion over whether this was in addition to previous charges. Amended NOA replaces those charges.

Sure, wording changed and what not, but the core of the allegations are still the same. This document replaces the old one, but the prior allegations are not gone.

The guy whose tweets you linked said he asked about what this means for football and bball because they were mentioned in passing in the earlier document, but there wasn't a concrete answer.

Reaction Score
University admits fake classes, admits went on for 18 years..men's ball and football players represented disproportionate amount of students...I believe some of those heralded
Players actually graduated with an Afro American studies degree...Vince carter and Jamison come to mind...not sure what there is debate about whether or not there was academic fraud.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

Are you saying the amended NOA leaves men's basketball and football totally off the hook?

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Are you saying the amended NOA leaves men's basketball and football totally off the hook?
Looks like their women's team will be the scapegoat. The only pain you'll see the UNC men receive is when they watch highlights of the Kris Jenkin's swish.

Reaction Score

No one can say that yet, since the original thing only barely mentioned them anyway.

The fact that they mention the women's basketball is to say that those staff members knew what was happening.

It doesn't mean that members of other teams didn't take part and were therefore ineligible.

It only takes one ineligible player to vacate wins, etc.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I thought McCants admitted a good deal of his papers were written for him in interviews. Can't that be verified?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
A year ago, I thought it impossible that UNC would skate on these allegations.

A year later, UNC is going to skate on these allegations.

By cleverly awarding fake credits and undeserved degrees to the general student population, North Carolina gained cover in awarding them to student-athletes. The NCAA seems to take the position that such a fraud is an institutional concern and generally beyond their jurisdiction.

The interesting part is how UNC chooses to pretend to punish themselves - I think they know the revenue sports are going to get off here and they will want to blunt the outrage when it happens.

Reaction Score
A year ago, I thought it impossible that UNC would skate on these allegations.

A year later, UNC is going to skate on these allegations.

By cleverly awarding fake credits and undeserved degrees to the general student population, North Carolina gained cover in awarding them to student-athletes. The NCAA seems to take the position that such a fraud is an institutional concern and generally beyond their jurisdiction.

The interesting part is how UNC chooses to pretend to punish themselves - I think they know the revenue sports are going to get off here and they will want to blunt the outrage when it happens.
Agree. They scammed everyone.

Reaction Score
The NCAA has lost all credibility. If you can cheat for 20 years and not get a major punishment, why even have rules then? UNC has skyrocketed up to my least favorite college basketball program.

Reaction Score
The NCAA has lost all credibility. If you can cheat for 20 years and not get a major punishment, why even have rules then? UNC has skyrocketed up to my least favorite college basketball program.

Are you going to wait for them to let them off the hook before you complain about them letting them off the hook?

Reaction Score
Are you going to wait for them to let them off the hook before you complain about them letting them off the hook?

Nope. The writing is on the wall. New allegations just came out and there's not a single mention of men's basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom