UNC | The Boneyard

UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

caw

Reaction Score
just for more fun today, they apparently received notice of allegations, no details released though.

Reaction Score
that would be awesome if they got a postseason ban this year but chances are it would be for 2016-17...or none at all :confused:

This is going to be pretty fascinating. There is no doubt that some "negotiation" takes place between the school and the NCAA. Look no further than the convenient statute of limitations applied to the Syracuse case as an example.

Vacating one or both of the '05 and '09 titles is in play, as well as a postseason ban for a preseason #1 team. I wonder if A) UNC is lucky enough to get to choose between the two (we're likely never know); and B) which they would value more if given an either/or.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
just for more fun today, they apparently received notice of allegations, no details released though.
"Hi I'm from the NCAA and I have a delivery for President Norton."
pile-of-documents.jpg

Reaction Score
More Details:

http://www.chatsports.com/north-car...th-Carolina-Of-5-Major-Infractions-10-138-199

The Notice of Allegations includes the following:

1. The institution provided impermissible benefits to student athletes.

2. Jan Boxill, then philosophy instructor, director of the Parr Center for Ethics, women’s basketball athletic academic counselor in the Academic Support Program for Student Athletes (ASPSA) and chair of the faculty, knowingly provided extra benefits in the form of impermissible academic assistance and special arrangements to women’s basketball student-athletes.

3. In 2014 and 2015, Deborah Crowder (Crowder), former student services manager in the African and Afro-American Studies department, violated the NCAA principles of ethical conduct. (i.e. refused and failed to participate in providing information)

4. In 2014 and 2015, Dr. Julius Nyang’oro, former professor and chair of the African and Afro-American Studies department, violated the NCAA principles of ethical conduct when he failed to furnish information relevant to an investigation of possible NCAA violations.

5. The institution violated the NCAA principles of institutional control and rules compliance and the institution exhibited a lack of institutional control in regard to the special arrangements constituting impermissible benefits athletics academic counselors and staff within African and Afro-American Studies (AFRI/AFAM) department provided to student-athletes.

Sounds serious but it looks like they never got above the first layer of control regarding involvement and knowledge. I wonder what records they were provided or gained access to.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wonder if it would be newsworthy if UNC did not uncover additional academic issues - now its the women's basketball and men's soccer team's turn.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...-potentially-more-violations-academic-scandal

ESPN quoted AD Cunningham as saying - "I know today's announcement will cause some to ask when all of this will end," Cunningham said. '"I want to assure everyone that Carolina is doing all it can to bring these matters to closure as quickly as possible while also strictly adhering to the NCAA's infractions process. While we need to address these new developments, we have already completed the majority of the work necessary to respond to the NCAA's notice." And then added, "... still hopes the investigation will be resolved in spring 2016.

I am not a conspiracy guy; but, this is way too convenient. UNC knows it is going into the 2015 men's basketball season as #1 in the country. UNC was scheduled to respond to the NCAA on the current load of infractions by August 18th. So, on August 10th, they 'find' more infractions and will now delay responding to the NCAA until the Spring of 2016. So basically, they threw two additional teams under the bus so that they have an excuse not to respond until after April 6th, 2016, which is the scheduled date of the 2016 NCAA Final 4 Championship. UNC is making a mockery of the NCAA.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Of course this is a stall tactic. It could not be more blatantly obvious. I just hope they win the title and have it taken away just afterward along with their '05 and '09 titles + a postseason ban.

Reaction Score
I wonder if it would be newsworthy if UNC did not uncover additional academic issues - now its the women's basketball and men's soccer team's turn.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...-potentially-more-violations-academic-scandal

ESPN quoted AD Cunningham as saying - "I know today's announcement will cause some to ask when all of this will end," Cunningham said. '"I want to assure everyone that Carolina is doing all it can to bring these matters to closure as quickly as possible while also strictly adhering to the NCAA's infractions process. While we need to address these new developments, we have already completed the majority of the work necessary to respond to the NCAA's notice." And then added, "... still hopes the investigation will be resolved in spring 2016.

I am not a conspiracy guy; but, this is way too convenient. UNC knows it is going into the 2015 men's basketball season as #1 in the country. UNC was scheduled to respond to the NCAA on the current load of infractions by August 18th. So, on August 10th, they 'find' more infractions and will now delay responding to the NCAA until the Spring of 2016. So basically, they threw two additional teams under the bus so that they have an excuse not to respond until after April 6th, 2016, which is the scheduled date of the 2016 NCAA Final 4 Championship. UNC is making a mockery of the NCAA.

I take it the NCAA will see thru the ruse and be upset by this?

Reaction Score
I, for one, would like to applaud the UNC men's basketball and football programs. The revenue sports managed to run clean programs despite the rampant cheating prevalent throughout the rest of the university's athletic department.

Those programs are beacons of immaculate NCAA compliance.

Reaction Score
Don't hold your breath: been saying all along they will skate. A really colossal academic breakdown and they will skate. Ncaa at its best. Just sucks. Same with the "cuse".

Reaction Score
UNC is now delaying their response to allegations, because get this....they found more improper academic assistance, and recruiting violations on the women's bball team and men's soccer. I can't wait to see the slap on the wrist they get for all this

Only bright side of this for them (and possibly their reasoning for revealing more violations) is that by delaying their response they are all but assured that the likely tournament ban for mens bball will not happen this year.

Reaction Score
Read some of their board and seems like they are blaming everyone and everything on somebody else and not the people who thought this up and carried out this academic disaster.

Reaction Score
How likely is it that they will even be eligible for this year's tourney? It seems to me that something has to happen over the next 7 months.

Reaction Score
How likely is it that they will even be eligible for this year's tourney? It seems to me that something has to happen over the next 7 months.

I think they skate by this year and make the tourney. They're ranked in the top 5 in most preseason polls and we know the NCAA wouldn't risk all those dollar bills lost by having UNC banned this season. That being said, I can see all their 2015-16 wins being vacated in the near future. Win-win for the NCAA? Just hoping we don't see UNC in March.

Reaction Score
From the Duke BB website (For Duke Blue Devils Fans) - They seem to really enjoy Carolina's problems

"Mary Willingham is about to seriously piss off some bigwigs in Chapel Hill.

Over the last few days we've been following along with increasing fascination as a few people online have talked extensively about what may be coming next in the UNC scandal.

We'll preface this by saying that while we can't confirm what's being said below the radar, in at least one case, we know that the person posting has deep knowledge of the issues and procedures involved and almost certainly has reliable connections within the NCAA. We're not saying anything else, but we know that it's not just some yahoo with an ax to grind.

Among the basic points/allegations which keep coming up are these:

• The NCAA either already has or will very soon send UNC the Amended Notification of Allegations.
  • The ANOA is not merely revised but significantly expanded.
  • UNC may be facing extraordinary penalties.
  • UNC is said to have lawyered up and is prepared for a serious fight.
We'll know very soon if this is all correct and will revisit this at that point if needed.

These developments coincide with a startling post at paperclassinc.com, the site jointly run by Mary Willingham, who previously worked with UNC's academic support program, and Professor Jay Smith, a leading faculty critic of the athletic department's excesses.

As the NCAA hammer apparently looms, as SACS deliberates on whether to drop or extend UNC's academic probation, Willingham drops this bomb at the end of her most recent contribution:

"To share our own thoughts about the ability of our current leadership to inaugurate transformative changes, we will soon be posting to this website transcripts of audiotapes recording the conversations Mary Willingham had with a succession of influential leaders between 2010 and 2014. What those transcripts show, we believe, is a leadership cohort so in thrall to the athletic program that it was aggressively uninterested in learning what a whistleblowing insider might have to teach academic officers. With remarkable consistency, the questions and comments they offered were limited, hostile, defensive, and dismissive. Why? Stay tuned."

Good night in the day! What does she have? Are these people aware that they were recorded?

In North Carolina, if you are in a public setting where there is no reasonable expectation of privacy, you can record a conversation without telling the other party. You may record a phone conversation if you have the consent of at least one party.

We have no idea what the hell this is going to be about. It's just another turn in this extraordinary scandal.

We can promise you this though: no one who was recorded is going to be happy about it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom