UNC had no-show classes with no instructor and no class time | The Boneyard

UNC had no-show classes with no instructor and no class time

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
Academic fraud scandal at UNC: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/04/2044178/report-finds-academic-fraud-evidence.html

The 10-page report said the findings are a blow to the university’s academic integrity. The findings were so serious that the university consulted with the district attorney and the SBI about investigating forgery allegations, as some professors said their signatures were forged in documents certifying that they had taught some of the classes in question....​
The investigation found more than 40 other courses, most of them during summer sessions, in which Nyang’oro was the instructor of record but there was little evidence of teaching. The instructor would provide an assignment and grade the class paper, “but engaged in limited or no classroom or other instructional contact with students.” Austin’s class was one of them, Hartlyn said....​
Nyang’oro's ... relationship with the athletic department came under question when he hired a sports agent – a former athletic department academic adviser and adjunct professor – to teach a summer class last year while the NCAA was investigating the football team for allowing other agents and their runners to have too much access to players.​

The ACC is very proud of its academics.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
all the unc stuff if funny considering there focus on the classroom Stop just like bc used to claim. bc fans will tell u its hard for players to get by there ivy grades standards which is all bs, do u know how many kids they have offered this year already? its over double uconns lol, its tenn #'s which is sad becuase tenn is known for having a dl gets u in. anyway, unc knows and is trying hard to break thru in college football. they have a monster brand with potential. they have everything they need in a stadium, facilities, cool factor and a state that has a huge pop. they just continue to hit the wall for some reason. if unc goes to the sec or b10 one day, they will explode on the scene. i think the perception of the acc holds them back and makes then seem bball foucsed to the point where its hard for fball to get out and about. unc should be able to squash duke/wake/ecu/ncst every day in every sport. but they dont becuase they all play together. at some point unc needs to give up the small ball idea of the acc and needs to cut throat and dominate its state. its the big brand with the state name. i can easily see unc being on a fl/bama/ok/mich level if they would jsut stop acting like another acc small pri/pre school in there thinking.

Reaction Score
If anything, this kind of lack of institutional control deserves the death penalty.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
....and yet our punishment for the APR bull*hit will be worse than any punishment that UNC gets. Moral of the story...it is better to pass players with completely fake classes than report real grades for real classes if someone transfers.

And the NCAA has a shred of credibility how?:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I don't know, UConnSportsGuy...Let's wait and see what the NCAA does before we decide they won't do anything, shall we? This seems to go far beyond anything anyone has done even in the SEC...Bogus students in bogus classes...I owuld anticipate serious repercussions not only from the NCAA but in the form of crimminal charges in this one.

Reaction Score
I don't know, UConnSportsGuy...Let's wait and see what the NCAA does before we decide they won't do anything, shall we? This seems to go far beyond anything anyone has done even in the SEC...Bogus students in bogus classes...I owuld anticipate serious repercussions not only from the NCAA but in the form of crimminal charges in this one.

Uh, no. Such things have been uncovered at Auburn, Alabama, Mississippi an Tennessee. Same stuff.

Reaction Score
i'd love to see this threaten their accreditation. department heads forging professor signatures to change grades at a coach's behalf is pretty serious business

the real shame is this that it seems as though the department of african american studies was a sham to push athletes through school. the department head sure seems awfully complicit.

Reaction Score
i'd love to see this threaten their accreditation. department heads forging professor signatures to change grades at a coach's behalf is pretty serious business

the real shame is this that it seems as though the department of african american studies was a sham to push athletes through school. the department head sure seems awfully complicit.

A couple things that not many might realize. Across America, almost all African-American Studies programs are not departments. They are interdisciplinary programs. This means the professors are housed in various other departments (literature, political science, history, etc.) In such a program, this wholesale fraud could not have happened.

There are only something like 10 or 11 African-American Studies departments in the entire nation. UNC's is one. This means that the program is not a sham at all. It is real. There are 17 core faculty involved. If you want to pass athletes through, you're better off with a small department where very few people know about it. By the way, the forgerer is still teaching there. Surely, this is a violation of any faculty member's code of ethics and it is grounds for dismissal.

Reaction Score
Am I reading this correctly? The NCAA already punished them? If Herbst and Manuel don't publicize this loudly, it's crazy.

Reaction Score
....and yet our punishment for the APR bull*hit will be worse than any punishment that UNC gets. Moral of the story...it is better to pass players with completely fake classes than report real grades for real classes if someone transfers.

And the NCAA has a shred of credibility how?:rolleyes:

Post of the day!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
If anything, this kind of lack of institutional control deserves the death penalty.

Please no, I think the NCAA has done enough to us. Oh wait you meant UNC should get punished? Won't happen. It's possible though that UConn might get punished for UNC's transgressions based upon the fact that we've played UNC in multiple sports and therefore ought to have discovered the problem. My prediction is that the new German basketball player will have to sit out 5 -7 games while they investigate whether he can locate North Carolina on a map.

Reaction Score
Please no, I think the NCAA has done enough to us. Oh wait you meant UNC should get punished? Won't happen. It's possible though that UConn might get punished for UNC's transgressions based upon the fact that we've played UNC in multiple sports and therefore ought to have discovered the problem. My prediction is that the new German basketball player will have to sit out 5 -7 games while they investigate whether he can locate North Carolina on a map.

I was gonna do something like this but . . . No need. this was so accurate.

Reaction Score
Am I reading this correctly? The NCAA already punished them? If Herbst and Manuel don't publicize this loudly, it's crazy.

Of course punishment has been levied. UCONN lost all its athletic scholarships and is banned from any post-season; ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom