UNC-Chapel Hill posts response to NCAA’s amended notice of allegations | The Boneyard

UNC-Chapel Hill posts response to NCAA’s amended notice of allegations

Status
Not open for further replies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Does this mean that they are looking to have it thrown out because it is not in the NCAA's jurisdiction? Unbelieveable!

Reaction Score
I saw the article on ESPN. Basically, UNC is saying that they are really bad, but the NCAA can't do crap about it. My summary:

1) Jurisdiction: You don't have jurisdiction because this was a general academic fraud that should be dealt with by us losing our accreditation as a University, not athletic probation/penalties.
2) Statute of Limitations / Release of Matter: You (NCAA) knew about all of this stuff when you agreed to our penalties in 2012. You're only making a big deal of it now because everyone found out and got their panties in a bunch. You can't add on more sanctions because the statute of limitations has passed (4 years from when you knew of the problem), or the matter was final with our 2012 penalty.

Reaction Score
So it is: We apologize to everyone what else could you want? Give me a break. since this started the NCAA has sanctioned UConn, Syracuse, Louisville, Missouri, Penn State etc 5 years and nothing with UNC. please

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Response Our response to the ANOA addresses the scope of the NCAA’s regulatory authority as stated in its bylaws. This case involves core institutional issues—academic issues—not covered by the NCAA’s bylaws. It also looks at issues regarding fairness and consistency and the NCAA’s statute of limitations. The response reviews the NCAA’s decision about Carolina in 2012 and explains how, by rule, that decision is final and binding. Finally, the document addresses each specific allegation and presents Carolina’s response point by point. We are asking the Committee on Infractions for a fair and impartial judgment on each specific allegation based solely on the governing bylaws of the NCAA—not on factors outside those bylaws.

UNC just got a one year break because UNC said that they hadn't fully reported the scope of the problem and now they are relying on the argument that the case is stale. After the NCAA gave UNC a shot to win another championship, UNC essentailly flipped them off.

Your move NCAA. If a team plays ineligible players the game is subject to forfeit. In my view for every year (and it's been what, like 20?) a player did not academic criteria, they forfeit. Including national championship games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is completely infuriating but also not unexpected. They are basically saying it is an academic issue not an athletic performance issue. However, as @CL82 points out playing games with ineligible players would at best negate the outcomes of those games you would think. But ultimately, it will be up to the NCAA as to whether they do anything about it. And they probably won't. So basically, any team (well at least a P5 team with major TV exposure and $$) can just say "Yea we don't think that applies to us but thanks for your concern" and move on with do whatever they want to do?

Reaction Score
They get the benefit of every doubt down here......This has got to end!!!

Reaction Score
This continues to be the Dunkin Donuts Stadium fiasco of college basketball. What are the Vegas odds on the Yardgoats playing a game in Hartford before UNC is even handed down any punishment?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Never thought I'd say this, but I hope Emmert goes full Goodell here.

I'm sorry, I can't wish Goodell's idiocy on anyone

I'll settle for justice based on facts

:)

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Why should anyone be surprised? The Dooksters used a clearly ineligible player for the entire 1998-99 season, culminating in their loss to us in the championship game. The NCAA investigated the Corey Maggette case for FIVE years and then did absolutely nothing...no fines, no forfeits, no return of NCAA tourney money, nothing. They weren't even reprimanded. We unknowingly used two ineligible players for a season and get hammered with fines, penalties, loss of NCAA tourney wins and revenue, player suspensions, in one case effectively ending the player's career, and all after we voluntarily turned ourselves in, which we did not have to do.

Reaction Score
This is completely infuriating but also not unexpected. They are basically saying it is an academic issue not an athletic performance issue. However, as @CL82 points out playing games with ineligible players would at best negate the outcomes of those games you would think. But ultimately, it will be up to the NCAA as to whether they do anything about it. And they probably won't. So basically, any team (well at least a P5 team with major TV exposure and $$) can just say "Yea we don't think that applies to us but thanks for your concern" and move on with do whatever they want to do?

I'm wondering just how much more time will elapse until they (P5) tell the NCAA to go pound.

Reaction Score
If the crime fits you can't acquit... They gotta pay the piper, just like everybody else... If they don't there should be legal action taken against the NCAA regarding this... You can't play favoritism to keep a legacy looking good... Mistakes were made.. WE all have to own up to them when they happen.. UNC is no exception.

Reaction Score
I'm wondering just how much more time will elapse until they (P5) tell the NCAA to go pound.
Yup, the big dogs eat whenever they want. The ncaa is scared of losing the basketball tournament money.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
It would appear that karma has already sorted this out. Our unfair APR double jeopardy mess, lead to title #4. While UNC.,,

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 39
Reaction Score
UNC: You guys can't get me, I'm on base. This tree is base.

NCAA: What? We're here to discuss very serious rule violations stemming from these so-called paper cla-

UNC: THIS TREE IS BASE GO AWAY

NCAA: Okay :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member