UNC academic scandal under review by accreditation agency again | The Boneyard

UNC academic scandal under review by accreditation agency again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From what I gather, this has been going on for a very long time, much longer than we're being told. UNC will fit in the SEC well.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
I'm hoping for the best.

The accreditation agency is actually the proper venue for this investigation, and they should be harsh. Especially considering the way they were waltzed around during their initial investigation.

Losing accreditation is a huge deal, even if the incoming students are a bit too stupid to understand the implications. For example: Credits earned from an unaccredited institution are not transferrable. So anyone planning on going to grad school is in for a rude shock when they find that one year of their studies simply did not happen. And if someone was planning on employment in a particular field, predicated upon their having earned a degree in that field, they, too are in for a rude shock. (It happened to a friend at UConn when their School of Forestry lost its accreditation many years back.)

On the NCAA side: It s my understanding unaccredited institutions are not eligible for participation in any NCAA sports. So to lose ones accreditation is to have earned "the death penalty", but for all sports! One could only speculate on what the implications of this would be to the ACC and its sports schedules. I guess the games would be just blanked. Which begs the question: "If the games don't count, why are we playing them?"

I am hopeful that this gets addressed, properly. UNC has certainly earned it, even if their student body is about to get gut punched over it.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping for the best.

The accreditation agency is actually the proper venue for this investigation, and they should be harsh. Especially considering the way they were waltzed around during their initial investigation.

Losing accreditation is a huge deal, even if the incoming students are a bit too stupid to understand the implications. For example: Credits earned from an unaccredited institution are not transferrable. So anyone planning on going to grad school is in for a rude shock when they find that one year of their studies simply did not happen. And if someone was planning on employment in a particular field, predicated upon their having earned a degree in that field, they, too are in for a rude shock. (It happened to a friend at UConn when their School of Forestry lost its accreditation many years back.)

On the NCAA side: It s my understanding unaccredited institutions are not eligible for participation in any NCAA sports. So to lose ones accreditation is to have earned "the death penalty", but for all sports! One could only speculate on what the implications of this would be to the ACC and its sports schedules. I guess the games would be just blanked. Which begs the question: "If the games don't count, why are we playing them?"

I am hopeful that this gets addressed, properly. UNC has certainly earned it, even if their student body is about to get gut punched over it.

It's correct that regional accreditation is a requisite for NCAA membership. Ergo, a loss in accreditation means an instantaneous loss in membership. In fact, the only membership a 4-year school could obtain for athletics is the USCAA or an associate member of the NAIA (not even a full member).

As far as accreditation, though, no student is going to lose credits for transfer if a school loses its accreditation. They would allow transfers with the credits that have already been earned. They're not going to zap those credits after the fact.

That said, UNC won't be stripped of accreditation. That's just not going to happen.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
As far as accreditation, though, no student is going to lose credits for transfer if a school loses its accreditation. They would allow transfers with the credits that have already been earned. They're not going to zap those credits after the fact.

I don't disagree with that. But, if, halfway through junior year they lose accreditation.....credits earned that semester/year would be as though they never happened.

And you are (most unfortunately) probably correct about the accrediting agency not having the billiards necessary to pull their ticket.....no matter how justly deserved.

Which, reasonably, would call their entire reason for being into question.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with that. But, if, halfway through junior year they lose accreditation.....credits earned that semester/year would be as though they never happened.

And you are (most unfortunately) probably correct about the accrediting agency not having the billiards necessary to pull their ticket.....no matter how justly deserved.

Which, reasonably, would call their entire reason for being into question.

I'm not too familiar with how far the knowledge of the classes went. To my understanding it was only coaches and that department, but if any of the administration of the university knew about it, at all, then they should absolutely lose accreditation for a year. But as you were hinting at, they're one of the golden boys, so they'll get a slap on the wrist at best.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
(It happened to a friend at UConn when their School of Forestry lost its accreditation many years back.)
[/QUOTE]
I was in the school of forestry in the mid/late 70's and I think that was the time it lost its accreditation (or we found out about it not being accredited). I had a friend who transferred to Idaho's program and I ended up applying to the school of business and becoming an accountant!

Reaction Score
Accreditation probation extended would be my bet....The actual day to day undergrad education is still very highly rated.

The fraudulent classes in african studies seems to be an anomaly centered around athletes and may not be symptomatic of the whole education experience. Programs recruit athletes who sometimes do not fit the profile of a college student..and thus somehow twist to keep them eligible.

James Brooks spent four years at Auburn and when he got to the Bengals, it turned out that he could not read...how does that happen?

The Creighton basketball player, Kevin Ross, sued the university because he read on the 2nd grade level.

Dexter Manly got out of Oklahoma State and could barely read (2nd grade level)....He later, after the NFL, fought to learn and finally read on a 9th grade level...and the book "Educating Dexter" follows that journey.

Reaction Score
This whole thing is really stretching out. UCONN was tried, convicted and hung in the media in no time at all during our APR.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Accreditation is part of the fraud. Someone is waiting for a big check to clear or a carpet big enough to sweep this under. Hilary goes to Sing Sing before UNC loses accreditation.

Reaction Score
The headline was misleading. UNC was put on probation for a year with the understanding the accrediting agency will be following up with a visit to make sure UNC has complied with the mandatory directives or has shown evidence they will be in compliance. So this visit had been planned for a year already. If UNCHas complied, they will be off probation. Otherwise, they will be on probation for another year. Unless UNC tells the accrediting agency to f off, they will not lose their accreditation.

If the fraudulent program(s) were in place for about a year or two and the proportion of athletes in this program was not much higher than the overall proportion of athletes, there would not (and should not) be any NCAA penalties. But these programs went on for a long time, and there appears to be evidence the athletic department was exploiting this. So there should be penalties. I just have a feeling that they are not going to be that harsh, unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Speaking of non-penalties, any word about the slime pit at Louisville? Is the NCAA going to let them off with self-punishment? Remember when the ACC was considered the one league with standards? Lol! Now it's slime on toast.

Reaction Score
The accreditation group will put them on some sort of probation .
This non-penalty will allow the NCAA to waive jurisdiction.
In short UNC will skate.
Welcome to the real world.

Reaction Score
The accreditation group will put them on some sort of probation .
This non-penalty will allow the NCAA to waive jurisdiction.
In short UNC will skate.
Welcome to the real world.

UNC is already on probation, and they probably have already completed what they need to do to get off probation. Any penalties that an institution receives from an accrediting agency usually isn't punitive. Further, egregious violations of accreditation standards are typically not NCAA violations and vice versa. Obviously, in this case there was overlap. But if the NCAA decides not to punish UNC, they will have to come up with an excuse that has nothing to do with accreditation. When UNC (probably) gets off probation from the accreditation agency this summer, it simply means they feel UNC corrected the problems that existed. It does not mean that egregious problems (for an an incredibly long time) did not exist at UNC.

Reaction Score
Accreditation is part of the fraud. Someone is waiting for a big check to clear or a carpet big enough to sweep this under. Hilary goes to Sing Sing before UNC loses accreditation.

Accreditation is most certainly not a part of the fraud. This is serious business. Accreditation reviews are thorough--you'd rather have several colonoscopies.

Reaction Score
UNC is already on probation, and they probably have already completed what they need to do to get off probation. Any penalties that an institution receives from an accrediting agency usually isn't punitive. Further, egregious violations of accreditation standards are typically not NCAA violations and vice versa. Obviously, in this case there was overlap. But if the NCAA decides not to punish UNC, they will have to come up with an excuse that has nothing to do with accreditation. When UNC (probably) gets off probation from the accreditation agency this summer, it simply means they feel UNC corrected the problems that existed. It does not mean that egregious problems (for an an incredibly long time) did not exist at UNC.
Were talking NCAA here. You can't actually believe that have a universally applied standard of conduct for member institutions. When your objective is simply to find a way not to punish as opposed to find anyway to punish you grasp at any convenient loophole available to achieve either goal.

Reaction Score
Were talking NCAA here. You can't actually believe that have a universally applied standard of conduct for member institutions. When your objective is simply to find a way not to punish as opposed to find anyway to punish you grasp at any convenient loophole available to achieve either goal.

It's not that I think the NCAA has a universal standard. And the NCAA may be looking for a convenient excuse to not punish UNC. The accreditation issue is not a convenient excuse and I don't think the NCAA is stupid enough to think it would be. But anything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom