UMass Has Spoken To Current HE Head Coach About Their Opening | The Boneyard

UMass Has Spoken To Current HE Head Coach About Their Opening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN 47m47 minutes ago
According to several sources, UMass is interested in talking to "at least one current Hockey East head coach" regarding its HC opening.

One source suggested a conversation, at least a preliminary one, has already taken place.

McMahon's sources are as solid as they come in hockey reporting, so this should be taken as fact.

Realistically, the only candidates who would talk to UMass or that they'd talk to are Sneddon at UVM, Dennehy at Merrimack, and Cav. Obviously not York or Quinn at BC and BU, obviously not Umile at UNH, Bazin and Leaman aren't leaving UML and PC except for an NHL gig, Madigan is an NU guy through and through, Gendron just resigned at Maine/isn't actually good, and the day a coach voluntarily leaves ND for UMass in any sport is the day pigs fly.

My gut tells me it's Dennehy because of all of the resource problems he has there, not the least of which is that high school-level rink they play in. Also, McMahon is foremost a Merrimack reporter, so it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that his source on the story is Dennehy himself.

That said, if it is indeed Cav, him leaving for UMass would be a significant blow to the program and in all likelihood would be directly as a result of the arena situation and how that is affecting scheduling and recruiting. This is a story to watch. Any Hockey East head coach leaving to take the job at the team who has finished last multiple years in a row would be an enormous indictment on that program.

Reaction Score
According to several sources, UMass is interested in talking to "at least one current Hockey East head coach" regarding its HC opening.

One source suggested a conversation, at least a preliminary one, has already taken place.

McMahon's sources are as solid as they come in hockey reporting, so this should be taken as fact.

Realistically, the only candidates who would talk to UMass or that they'd talk to are Sneddon at UVM, Dennehy at Merrimack, and Cav. Obviously not York or Quinn at BC and BU, obviously not Umile at UNH, Bazin and Leaman aren't leaving UML and PC except for an NHL gig, Madigan is an NU guy through and through, Gendron just resigned at Maine/isn't actually good, and the day a coach voluntarily leaves ND for UMass in any sport is the day pigs fly.

My gut tells me it's Dennehy because of all of the resource problems he has there, not the least of which is that high school-level rink they play in. Also, McMahon is foremost a Merrimack reporter, so it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that his source on the story is Dennehy himself.

That said, if it is indeed Cav, him leaving for UMass would be a significant blow to the program and in all likelihood would be directly as a result of the arena situation and how that is affecting scheduling and recruiting. This is a story to watch. Any Hockey East head coach leaving to take the job at the team who has finished last multiple years in a row would be an enormous indictment on that program.
Until they come out with a concrete plan for something on-campus I wouldn't be surprised if a place with facilities like UMass called Cav..that he didn't listen. The Mullins Center is a really nice facility..and the hockey program just moved into the old basketball team facility there. Dennehy has been mention in a bunch of lists of possible candidates for that job. SO if it is him, I am not going to be at all surprised.

Reaction Score
Good I hope the door doesn't hit him and his 7 wins this this year ( if you want you can add the 3 wins vs the the club team Arizona State and 1 win vs Alabama/Huntsville) in the . Get real no one is looking at Cavanaugh to be a head coach in any D1 Program. He has one of the worst records in the nation for the past 3 years as a D1 Head Hockey Coach. UCONN would love to see him take off and forfeit the next 2 years of his contract and save the school $500,000 they wouldn't have to pay him.

Reaction Score
The more this story developed, the more it appeared this report was in reference to Dennehy at Merrimack.

Reaction Score
The more this story developed, the more it appeared this report was in reference to Dennehy at Merrimack.
I am sure recruits would find Whalers banners more enticing than a John Calipari banner.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Someone told me that they think they know who he is - if so, it's just a personal beef.

Reaction Score
Someone told me that they think they know who he is - if so, it's just a personal beef.
He had been warned in both his old screen name of hockeyfan44 and this one Huskycamper that he will be banned from posting in threads for those types of posts. Maybe he'll get the hint...most likely he won't .

Reaction Score
He's actually banned period.

I kinda lost patience.
Thanks. It's fine to be critical of the coach, but he had absolutely no basis for any of his comments - they were basically insults.

Re: Butch's comment, while yes most would theoretically like the Whaler banners better, having an on-campus facility to play in is a far more advantageous thing for a coach. That said, UMass is still a dumpster fire of a hockey program, so them thinking they can poach an existing HE head coach is intriguing. Merrimack has realistic limitations of the program that no other HE school has to deal with, so a move from there isn't surprising.

Reaction Score
UMass also has an ugly campus. Area is not ugly, though. They're going to require a splash hire or a Cav-type hire who can direct them in building their program.

Reaction Score
Maybe UMass better hope Jonathan Quick would want to and can coach in the NCAA after his playing career.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
UMASS is not successful in many sports( I was going to say any but isn't their women's softball and lacrosse good?) The resources really aren't there and very little culture of winning. That being said- it should be attractive to an ECAC coach or an assistant at an established program.

As for Coach Cav- I really expect next year to be the year we take a leap. Hosting a series for the first time is a great step and now finishing higher up the league standings and winning the first round game is the next step. Exciting times for UCONN hockey.

Reaction Score
None of this makes any sense at any level. UMass is, at best, a lateral move. So leave a place you are building, with new facilities in the pipeline, for a place with a worse track record in athletics and a lower ceiling. Perfect.

Reaction Score
None of this makes any sense at any level. UMass is, at best, a lateral move. So leave a place you are building, with new facilities in the pipeline, for a place with a worse track record in athletics and a lower ceiling. Perfect.
It would make sense for Dennehy to move, that's about it.

Reaction Score
Very shocked to hear Cornell's coach has interviewed. He must get the sense he's on his way out at CU.

Reaction Score
Very shocked to hear Cornell's coach has interviewed. He must get the sense he's on his way out at CU.
Or maybe he has word that QU is on their way to HE and he wants to continue his fued with Pecknold.... It could make for a GREAT internet rumor.

Reaction Score
Way out in right field and I have no evidence either way; but, say Cavanaugh is a 100% Hockey East guy, which I believe is true, and is listening to UMass because UMass will be in Hockey Eats in 2017/8 and UConn may not be.

Reaction Score
Way out in right field and I have no evidence either way; but, say Cavanaugh is a 100% Hockey East guy, which I believe is true, and is listening to UMass because UMass will be in Hockey Eats in 2017/8 and UConn may not be.
He isn't even in the running...if he ever was. Looks like it's down to Dennehey and Pearl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom