UMass fans this week | The Boneyard

UMass fans this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I think they are going to come with a good crowd. 1st game at this level, closer to home, uconn rival etc...i'm thinking 5 to 7k which would be impressive for them.

i think it should be uconn fans duty to do the following-tailgate hard as usual but be nice. no need to to treat them like bc fans. introduce them to how we roll pre game. its better that they get a look at this type of atmosphere and then bring it to there home games. a relevant umass in the mac is better for us and the rise of college football in new england. were in a higher league and will be above them in the pecking order recruit wise for years so no need to worry about them passing us like we did to bc. it would be beneficial to us to give them a good experience at the rent. it will open up chances for us in the future at the rent and the razor for big games early in seasons with big crowds. just my 2 cents. several of my friends from ma who went to d3 schools with me in Springfield are going to the game. they are casual umass fans at this point and they are excited. there next 10 years will be like ours building a fan base. i think its well worth this fan bases time to create a nice rival with them instead of treating them like bc treated us.

Reaction Score
The Rent is closer to the UMess campus than their home stadium in Foxboro.

Reaction Score
You know how batshit crazy many here get at the thought of playing a single home game in the Meadowlands? How are they going to build a fanbase with their home games -- all of them -- two hours away from campus?

Reaction Score
I think they are going to come with a good crowd. 1st game at this level, closer to home, uconn rival etc...i'm thinking 5 to 7k which would be impressive for them.

i think it should be uconn fans duty to do the following-tailgate hard as usual but be nice. no need to to treat them like bc fans. introduce them to how we roll pre game. its better that they get a look at this type of atmosphere and then bring it to there home games. a relevant umass in the mac is better for us and the rise of college football in new england. were in a higher league and will be above them in the pecking order recruit wise for years so no need to worry about them passing us like we did to bc. it would be beneficial to us to give them a good experience at the rent. it will open up chances for us in the future at the rent and the razor for big games early in seasons with big crowds. just my 2 cents. several of my friends from ma who went to d3 schools with me in Springfield are going to the game. they are casual umass fans at this point and they are excited. there next 10 years will be like ours building a fan base. i think its well worth this fan bases time to create a nice rival with them instead of treating them like bc treated us.
I agree Dan, be cool and have fun. Be classy . There are certain doos and don'ts.. A few years ago I went to see my nephew at Florida atlantic( they know they are terrible). And they played USF the year they were ranked in the top five and they went out of there way to put down FAU. Over and over with insults calling it a high school acting superior in every way. It was quite annoying well this resulted in some of the USF fans going home with some bumps and bruises. I hold nothing against USF and never felt that way inTampa (wonder why ) but some of them acted low class at a up and coming school game. Hopefully everyone will cheer hard for UConn enjoy the game. Do our fight song in the parking lot and mingle with the umass fans. Go Huskies

Reaction Score
We are entertaing several UMass fans at our tailgate,friends of friends and relatives. The relatives, son and grandson, know we are gung-ho UConn fans.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'm going with a UMass husband/wife duo, who are more baseball fans (and surprisingly, a Yankees/Mets couple), and a Worcester Poly grad. They might not wind up being big CFB supporters but maybe they'll be a bit more interested.

Reaction Score
I doubt they bring more than 4,000 for a Thursday Night game. If it was a Saturday game i think they would bring 6,000+

Reaction Score
You know how bat**** crazy many here get at the thought of playing a single home game in the Meadowlands? How are they going to build a fanbase with their home games -- all of them -- two hours away from campus?

I think it's a much easier sell for them since their stadium is at least in Massachusetts. Most UConn fans want to believe that we can be truly nationally relevant in football and that we can get big name programs to play us in our home state. The thought of not being able to play marquee opponents at home unless we agree to play two states away just makes the whole big time college football enterprise seem a bit futile, IMO.

Reaction Score
You know how bat**** crazy many here get at the thought of playing a single home game in the Meadowlands? How are they going to build a fanbase with their home games -- all of them -- two hours away from campus?

Not really a good comparison. There are many UMASS grads in the Boston area, plus the casual fan not associated with the school will root for their home state team.

You wouldn't go to UCONN games if the Rent were in Stamford? Why not?

I bet 99% of UMASS fans would rather their home games be played at Gillette vs the Rent even though the Rent is closer to their main campus.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm always nice to visiting fans. Even the odd BCU fans. I like Rutgers fans. I'll be nice to any UMass fan I see. But I hate UMass. Part of their consistant strategy to build their teams over the years is putting the badmouth on UConn. They can't lose enough for me and I hope they never join the Big East. Screw 'em.

Reaction Score
Not really a good comparison. There are many UMASS grads in the Boston area, plus the casual fan not associated with the school will root for their home state team.

You wouldn't go to UCONN games if the Rent were in Stamford? Why not?

1. I would go to any UConn games I can go to. I'm not talking about me.

2. I can't imagine that someone would go a longer distance to a game because you don't cross a state line, but wouldn't go a shorter distance if you did. Seriously, I just don't get that at all. But to each their own.

Reaction Score
2. I can't imagine that someone would go a longer distance to a game because you don't cross a state line, but wouldn't go a shorter distance if you did. Seriously, I just don't get that at all. But to each their own.

True, but if given a CHOICE most would prefer to have the game in their home state. We are talking about state schools.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I try and live my life based on the teachings of the all-knowing and immortal "Dalton".

"Be nice..............until it is time to not be nice"

roadhouse2.jpg

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
I'm always nice to visiting fans. Even the odd BCU fans. I like Rutgers fans. I'll be nice to any UMass fan I see. But I hate UMass. Part of their consistant strategy to build their teams over the years is putting the badmouth on UConn. They can't lose enough for me and I hope they never join the Big East. Screw 'em.

I'm also always nice to opposing fans but this hatred is precisely why I wouldn't mind them joining the Big East (not saying they are or should). Nothing gets a fan base going like a little rivalry (I can't even call it a rivalry) bad blood.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Colonial Clash at Gillette (UMass vs UNH)
2010 32,848
2011 24,022
UMass Attendance:
2011 - 10004
2010 - 13005
2009 - 10887
2008 - 12383
2007 - 11710

Gillette is going to be a ghosttown. We're talking about a UMass squad that is going to struggle in its first few years as it upgrades talent. There may be some casual interest by UMass fans in the Boston area, but unless they're playing a significant school, there will be no buzz. 15k in a 68k stadium will not look good, and it won't help them get recruits. Just wait until they play Buffalo/CMich in November with under 10k in attendance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom