UHart: who are they after to replace Jen? | The Boneyard

UHart: who are they after to replace Jen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
........No idea whatsoever but if I was on the selection committee I would at least bring up Carla Berube's name for consideration....not sure if Carla would even want the job given all her success at Tufts but there is no denying her intensity, her coaching ability and her basketball pedigree....recent recruiting woes seemed to be an issue at Hartford the past couple of years but perhaps that won't be a deterrent for anyone under consideration......

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Berube would be an interesting target...nice idea.
Carla head coach...Daddy C as asst.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
IDK. They haven't contacted me yet. :confused:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
...No idea whatsoever but if I was on the selection committee I would at least bring up Carla Berube's name for consideration....not sure if Carla would even want the job given all her success at Tufts but there is no denying her intensity, her coaching ability and her basketball pedigree....recent recruiting woes seemed to be an issue at Hartford the past couple of years but perhaps that won't be a deterrent for anyone under consideration.

Watch Tuft's move up before Carla would ever consider U of H. U of H is like a community college in Division I. Never understood Jen doing that, though she made it work for a while.

Reaction Score
...No idea whatsoever but if I was on the selection committee I would at least bring up Carla Berube's name for consideration....not sure if Carla would even want the job given all her success at Tufts but there is no denying her intensity, her coaching ability and her basketball pedigree....recent recruiting woes seemed to be an issue at Hartford the past couple of years but perhaps that won't be a deterrent for anyone under consideration.

I think it's unlikely she would consider Hartford. She can likely do better than that when she wants to move up.

Reaction Score
Let's see.
Berube works for a NESCAC school, where coaches are often considered part of the faculty, and thus paid faculty salaries. She gets to work with very smart kids who are playing only for their love of the game and for a break from studying. She has built a successful program, and will likely be successful for years to come, not that there's intense university pressure to win. She has some recruiting recruiting responsibilities but not super intense. 90% of games are within a 3 hour drive, so time away from home is limited. Oh, and she gets to live in the Boston area.

Yeah, I can see her being enticed about the UHart job.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Hartford approached Jen and offered her the job before she had even really thought about coaching.
Yup and agree to her still playing professionally for the first two or three years that she was the head coach, and agreed to hire her husband as well. Hartford made it very easy for her, and it was made even easier while they were raising young kids to have two sets of adoring grandparents living fifteen minutes away for instant babysitting duty.

Reaction Score
Let's see.
Berube works for a NESCAC school, where coaches are often considered part of the faculty, and thus paid faculty salaries. She gets to work with very smart kids who are playing only for their love of the game and for a break from studying. She has built a successful program, and will likely be successful for years to come, not that there's intense university pressure to win. She has some recruiting recruiting responsibilities but not super intense. 90% of games are within a 3 hour drive, so time away from home is limited. Oh, and she gets to live in the Boston area.

Yeah, I can see her being enticed about the UHart job.

Excellent points made....this being said, Carla might have coaching ambitions beyond Tufts and the Boston area....not that money is or ever should be the prime motivation for a move, SimplyHired.com notes that as of May 4, 2016 the average DIII Head Basketball Coaching salary in the US is $49K...for comparison purposes, UHart is a private institution and cannot release salaries....John Altavilla noted in his October 19, 2015 column speculating about Jen's coaching future after UHart that Anne "Donovan made about $250,000 with the Sun, but a UHart spokesman said Rizzotti would be taking a substantial pay cut to coach in the WNBA." By no means am I pushing Carla out of a position that might well be the at the very pinnacle of her coaching aspirations but, simply, that she has earned the right to be part of the conversation.

Reaction Score
SimplyHired.com notes that as of May 4, 2016 the average DIII Head Basketball Coaching salary in the US is $49K...

NESCAC coaches are paid better than that I'm sure. I would bet she's getting >100k.

Her Tufts bio notes that she has a wife and son.
D3 is family friendly. Boston is gay friendly, and also great for 2-earner families.

Reaction Score
UHart is a private institution and cannot release salaries....John Altavilla noted in his October 19, 2015 column speculating about Jen's coaching future after UHart that Anne "Donovan made about $250,000 with the Sun, but a UHart spokesman said Rizzotti would be taking a substantial pay cut to coach in the WNBA." By no means am I pushing Carla out of a position that might well be the at the very pinnacle of her coaching aspirations but, simply, that she has earned the right to be part of the conversation.

According to Hartford's Form 990 from last year, Jen made about $233,000 plus a contribution to a retirement plan. Almost no benefits - which is unusual for a coach. That salary makes her one of the top-paid women's coaches at that level. The average base pay for the other women's coaches in America East is less than half of what she makes

Reaction Score
NESCAC coaches are paid better than that I'm sure. I would bet she's getting >100k.

I wouldn't be surprised if she's making < 100k. Many D1 low-major women's head coaches aren't making 100k in base pay.

Reaction Score
Nescac is different.

I'm a little out of touch with current salaries but I know that about a decade ago only one coach of a NESCAC men's team was making 100k and at that time no coach of a women's team was even close to that figure. Yes, salaries have gone up but I think I'd still bet the under when it comes to base pay.

One D1 league I know fairly well is the Patriot League and the median base pay for the women's head coaches in that league - which has become a fairly good mid-major league - is barely over 100k.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
they need to find a good HS coach... who's hungry to get into the college ranks
That's a good point. I was thinking of a mid level asst coach might be interested, but the reality is recruiting to UHart has got to be a really tough sell.

But how about a local Hartford county high school coach with ties that run deep? Perhaps he or she could start to really focus in on some of the local Connecticut kids - it's not like Conn is a hot bed for talent, but they can't do much worse than Jen has done the past few years...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
How about Tricia Fabbri couple of recent NCAA tournament appearances.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think Carla has always sounded extremely happy with her Tufts gig - I think she enjoys the 'non-professional-feeder' nature of the competition - working with students that are passionate about the game, rather than athletes that take classes. And suburban Boston is definitely a great location that would likely be more appealing than Hartford.

Hartford did dip into the pro-player ranks when they hired Jen (and allowed her to continue to play pro ball) but that was 17 years ago and a very different environment in WCBB even at the low mid-major level. I don't see them doing it at this point. Someone with some coaching experience seems much more likely whether HS or college level.

Reaction Score
How about Tricia Fabbri couple of recent NCAA tournament appearances.

She would have to be offered a huge raise to even talk to Hartford. Quinnipiac is a much better program with much better facilities. Also her daughter is her starting PG at Q.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
What is Nykesha Sales doing these days? UHart is her backyard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads