Uh oh............ | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uh oh............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For the record, UConn's Fed Rate from that year is also 0%.

Reaction Score
Some interesting scores:

GSR/Graduation Rate

USF 88%/0%
Louisville 75%/33%
Cincy 56%/18%
Rutgers 80%/46%
Boston College 88%/43%
Duke 100%/54%
Georgia 50%/27%
LSU 60%/33%
Miss St 29%/15%
S. Carolina 58%/30%
Florida 17%/6%
Iowa St 50%/18%
Kansas St 58%/22%
Kansas 100%/44%
Missouri 67%/36%
Okie St 50%/22%
Tex tech 78%/27%
Texas 71%/33%
Indiana 43%/235
Iowa 89%/44%
Nebraska 60%/29%
Ohio St 45%/29%
PSU 92%/53%
Az St 67%/27%
USC 43%/18%
Utah 73%/31%

When you look at the right column, it's no wonder the NCAA created this GSR thing so you can average together the left column and then say student-athletes graduate at a higher rate than students.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
This is like that Sprint or Verizon commercial where a focus group is shown the same thing in a pie chart, a bar graph, etc etc etc.

Reaction Score
"The academic problems of that period are reflected in this GSR, which takes into account players who entered UConn in 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005, and allowing six years to graduate. Of all those players, only 11 percent graduated within six years."

Of the players that entered UConn during those years, Hilton Armstrong, Charlie Villanueva, Marcus Williams, Josh Boone, Rudy Gay, and Jeff Adrien have played or still do play in the NBA, Denham Brown was drafted and currently plays professionally in Europe, Rashad Anderson also plays in Europe, Marcus White, Marcus Johnson, and Rob Garrison transferred, and I believe Craig Austrie graduated, though I'm not sure.

That's 12 players who entered UConn during the NCAA's measurement period. It seems that the three transfers are not counted in the measurement, leaving nine players. One graduated, which puts the GSR at 11.11%. The other eight play basketball professionally, which is what their goal was when they came to UConn. That's 88.89%. Any university department would be thrilled to put that ratio of students into their chosen professions, especially at the salaries that those eight former UConn players earn.

I couldn't agree more with your point. Most people attend college to find a good career so they can have a comfortable life and provide for their family, hopefully doing something they enjoy. For most of us we need a degree of some kind to do that, but for some it is just a piece of paper. Nobody judges successful entrepreneurs who dropped out of school or never even attended.

I'm still confused about the math behind the 11% and whether transfers count. I count 14 players 2002 - Anderson, Brown, White, Armstrong 2003- Villanueva, Williams, Boone 2004- Gay, Price, Kellogg 2005- Adrien, Johnson, Austrie, Garrison

If our program is judged based on preparing professionals who are tops in their highly competitive field we have succeeded over that time period. 9 out of 14 players playing professional basketball isn’t too shabby.

Reaction Score
I couldn't agree more with your point. Most people attend college to find a good career so they can have a comfortable life and provide for their family, hopefully doing something they enjoy. For most of us we need a degree of some kind to do that, but for some it is just a piece of paper. Nobody judges successful entrepreneurs who dropped out of school or never even attended.

I'm still confused about the math behind the 11% and whether transfers count. I count 14 players 2002 - Anderson, Brown, White, Armstrong 2003- Villanueva, Williams, Boone 2004- Gay, Price, Kellogg 2005- Adrien, Johnson, Austrie, Garrison

If our program is judged based on preparing professionals who are tops in their highly competitive field we have succeeded over that time period. 9 out of 14 players playing professional basketball isn’t too shabby.

THIS........+1000000

Reaction Score
No, it won't. GSR does not measure graduation rate. People leaving the school for transfers and the pros are not counted in grad rates. All you need is for one player to graduate and 12 others to leave school without flunking, and your GSR is 100%.
How are players who exhaust their eligibility but do not receive a diploma counted? What if they're in "good academic standing" when they exhaust their eligibility?

Reaction Score

Well, I'd say universities are not semi-pro teams. So when a majority of your athletes aren't completing the mission of the school, there's a problem. But the question would be, since GSR exempts players who transfer or go to the pros, why were several of these players counted against the GSR? It must mean they didn't complete their spring semester classes.

This must mean the the bball players at those other schools with higher GSRs (but with low federal grad rates) completed their spring classes somehow.

And therein lies the joke of this system. I mean--bball players hardly attend these classes in the spring. The UNC model lives--thanks to GSR.

Reaction Score
How are players who exhaust their eligibility but do not receive a diploma counted? What if they're in "good academic standing" when they exhaust their eligibility?

How did they exhaust their eligibility? Were they playing pro ball? If so, they are exempted. Did they transfer? Exempt.

Reaction Score
How did they exhaust their eligibility? Were they playing pro ball? If so, they are exempted. Did they transfer? Exempt.
Take Rashad Anderson, for example. He played four years of college ball, exhausting his eligibility, and then he went to play overseas. I don't know what his academic standing was, but he probably did not graduate. Let's say, for the sake of the example, that he was in "good standing" when he finished his career at UConn, but he did not graduate. Does that count against GSR or is it not counted at all?

Reaction Score
Take Rashad Anderson, for example. He played four years of college ball, exhausting his eligibility, and then he went to play overseas. I don't know what his academic standing was, but he probably did not graduate. Let's say, for the sake of the example, that he was in "good standing" when he finished his career at UConn, but he did not graduate. Does that count against GSR or is it not counted at all?
Yes. It counts against the GSR. that is a measure of graduates. Look, you guys and particularly upstater can spin this any way you want. But when almost nobody graduates from the mens basketball team over a 6 year period, that is a problem. And you can talk all you want about guys going into their "chosen profession." Sorry, but the University of Connecticut is NOT a job training program. It is an institution of higher learning. And the basketball program is not intended to be a semi-pro team. And quite honestly I don't give a crap what North Carolina does or what Kentucky does. That they cut corners doesn't make it right for UConn to do the same. This is just another example of UConn basketball during the later years of the Jim Calhoun regime being completely disconnected from the university and its mission. And this is an embarrassment. And there is no way to spin it that makes it not an embarrassment.

Reaction Score
No, it won't. GSR does not measure graduation rate. People leaving the school for transfers and the pros are not counted in grad rates. All you need is for one player to graduate and 12 others to leave school without flunking, and your GSR is 100%.
All I want to know is what GUN SHOT RESIDUE (GSR) has to do with college. Or am I watching too many CSIs?

Reaction Score

He is not counted at all.

Reaction Score
Yes. It counts against the GSR. that is a measure of graduates. Look, you guys and particularly upstater can spin this any way you want. But when almost nobody graduates from the mens basketball team over a 6 year period, that is a problem. And you can talk all you want about guys going into their "chosen profession." Sorry, but the University of Connecticut is NOT a job training program. It is an institution of higher learning. And the basketball program is not intended to be a semi-pro team. And quite honestly I don't give a crap what North Carolina does or what Kentucky does. That they cut corners doesn't make it right for UConn to do the same. This is just another example of UConn basketball during the later years of the Jim Calhoun regime being completely disconnected from the university and its mission. And this is an embarrassment. And there is no way to spin it that makes it not an embarrassment.

You are not well informed. It does NOT count against the GSR. You've bought the NCAA stuff yet again. You just keep spooning it up, and they keep feeding it to you. The GSR is NOT a measure of graduates. If it were, you'd have to explain to me how USF can have a 88% GSR rate and yet a 0% graduation rate.

Reaction Score
You are not well informed. It does NOT count against the GSR. You've bought the NCAA stuff yet again. You just keep spooning it up, and they keep feeding it to you. The GSR is NOT a measure of graduates. If it were, you'd have to explain to me how USF can have a 88% GSR rate and yet a 0% graduation rate.
No you are correct. Players who leave in good standing don't count in the GSR. My error.

Reaction Score
did a quick look at our historical rosters. I would have to assume that many of our 4 year guys never actually graduated and none of the early exits. Is Austrie the only guy on the list that finished?....and Kellogg doesnt even show up on our old rosters, so didnt count him

Incoming Year Player Comments
2002 Hilton Armstrong played 4 seasons, drafted in 1st round 2006 NBA draft
Denham Brown played 4 seasons, drafted in 2nd round 2006 NBA draft
Rashad Anderson played 4 seasons, played in D-league and Europe
Marcus White played 1 season , transferred to Purdue and then gave up basketball due to injuries
2003 Charlie Villanueva played 2 seasons, drafted first round 2005 NBA draft
Marcus Williams played 3 seasons, drafted 1st round in 2006 NBA draft
Josh Boone played 3 seasons, drafted 1st round in 2006 NBA draft
2004 AJ Price played 4 seasons, drafted 2nd round in 2009 NBA draft
Rudy Gay played 2 seasons drafted 1st round 2006 NBA draft
2005 Jeff Adrian played 4 seasons, played in Europe and stints in the NBA
Marcus Johson played 2 seasons , transferred to USC
Craig Austrie played 4 seasons
Rob Garrison played 2 seasons, transferred to Niagara

Reaction Score
The "problem" here, whether we're talking about GSR, graduation rate, APR, or the general perception of academics in our program, is two-fold:

1) We are a very demanding basketball program that produces a lot of transfers due to dissatisfaction with playing time, role, and/or personality conflicts with the coaching staff

2) Virtually all of our players, by the time they're ready to leave, are preparing for a basketball career. Even the Gavin Edwardses of our program, guys who are bench players for most of their career, consider themselves NBA prospects. That's what drew them to UConn; that's what Calhoun was selling them. This leads them to disregard their schoolwork and focus on draft preparation toward the end of their careers. In fact, I think Craig Austrie might be the last guy who finished whose future aspirations did not include basketball. For most schools, the Austries are the rule and the Edwardses are the exception. Not here.

Reaction Score
No you are correct. Players who leave in good standing don't count in the GSR. My error.

So, then, what does the GSR even measure really? The APR already takes care of people in "good standing." Whatever that means (and obviously I think that's a joke). So, why the GSR at all when you have both Fed Rates and the APR?

Reaction Score
did a quick look at our historical rosters. I would have to assume that many of our 4 year guys never actually graduated and none of the early exits. Is Austrie the only guy on the list that finished?....and Kellogg doesnt even show up on our old rosters, so didnt count him

Marcus White played 1 season , transferred to Purdue and then gave up basketball due to injuries

UConn's Fed Grad rate is 0%. That means no one graduated.

That being said, using GSR, if all those players who went to the pros left "in good standing" and if only one of them graduated, UConn's GSR would be 100%.

This may or may not be true however because USF somehow managed a 0% Fed Grad Rate and a 88% GSR. So, no one graduated from USF, but apparently, they met the criteria somehow regardless.

Reaction Score
The "problem" here, whether we're talking about GSR, graduation rate, APR, or the general perception of academics in our program, is two-fold:

1) We are a very demanding basketball program that produces a lot of transfers due to dissatisfaction with playing time, role, and/or personality conflicts with the coaching staff

2) Virtually all of our players, by the time they're ready to leave, are preparing for a basketball career. Even the Gavin Edwardses of our program, guys who are bench players for most of their career, consider themselves NBA prospects. That's what drew them to UConn; that's what Calhoun was selling them. This leads them to disregard their schoolwork and focus on draft preparation toward the end of their careers. In fact, I think Craig Austrie might be the last guy who finished whose future aspirations did not include basketball. For most schools, the Austries are the rule and the Edwardses are the exception. Not here.

If UConn improves its GSR, it will have done so with smoke and mirrors.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score

Simple math tells you that 11% in a small sample size (in this case, under 17) can only represent 1/9. This means the GSR is ignoring 4 from your list of 13 and only representing one as a graduate.. Which four are being ignored. From your list, 3 transferred and 4 were drafted before using up eligibility. If this is the full list, it seems as if they are counting transfers against the record and not counting those entering the draft early. Am I missing something?

Reaction Score
GSR,APR,FED GRAD RATE, Man I am so sick of this crap. Please end it , get the season going , give KO the contract and chance and lets get the ball rolling again. Bell and or Vonieh would do it and maybe one more and hoping we don't lose anyone as I can't see anybody ready or close to declare for the NBA. We need some good fortune and I believe we will get it and be on our way again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom