Uh Oh. John Altaville in Hot Water? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Uh Oh. John Altaville in Hot Water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
A few more things on this, if I may.
First of all, the Texas Cheerleaders were among the best squads I have seen at a UConn women's game. They had exciting routines, good choreography and great organization. They were really fun to watch -- there was no wondering what to do next and the cheerleaders and dancers worked together to use of the entire court. The routine where they spelled TEXAS with their pom poms was cool.
The dancers could dance! High kicks and impressive dance moves were on display throughout the day.
They were great at getting the crowd into it and often received loud and appreciative response from the audience.
They sometime cheered at inappropriate times -- using the same type of "go, get 'em" cheers when you're down by 40 just doesn't fit. Perhaps that's a byproduct of their tight scripting.
They are attractive and sexy ... that's the way the outfits are designed and that's the way the group carried itself. Not at all sleazy, but sexy.
My wife and I enjoyed watching them and commented on their talent and excitement throughout the game.
I just think it's important in this discussion to point out how good they are. They are a lot more than belly buttons and chaps and that should not be overlooked in this discussion.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Anyone who follows CT media on Twitter knows that it is a battle of comedic wit. We know there will be mis-tweets. Its inevitable.

Reaction Score
A few more things on this, if I may.
First of all, the Texas Cheerleaders were among the best squads I have seen at a UConn women's game. They had exciting routines, good choreography and great organization. They were really fun to watch -- there was no wondering what to do next and the cheerleaders and dancers worked together to use of the entire court. The routine where they spelled TEXAS with their pom poms was cool.
The dancers could dance! High kicks and impressive dance moves were on display throughout the day.
They were great at getting the crowd into it and often received loud and appreciative response from the audience.
They sometime cheered at inappropriate times -- using the same type of "go, get 'em" cheers when you're down by 40 just doesn't fit. Perhaps that's a byproduct of their tight scripting.
They are attractive and sexy ... that's the way the outfits are designed and that's the way the group carried itself. Not at all sleazy, but sexy.
My wife and I enjoyed watching them and commented on their talent and excitement throughout the game.
I just think it's important in this discussion to point out how good they are. They are a lot more than belly buttons and chaps and that should not be overlooked in this discussion.

All this may be true, I was not there, but those outfits are uggggly.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Paul Doyle is covering tonight's game against Dayton for the Courant. Not sure if that's in addition to John A or as a replacement for John A. However I haven't seen any tweets/articles from John in the last 24 hours. It leads me to speculate John won't be covering tonight's game.

A blog entry concerning John A: http://courantblogs.com/colin-mcenroe/alta-tensione/

Reaction Score
Good Point Should have talked to him privately. He's a man with a wife and at least one daughter. He was being a silly guy. No need to put this out there in public. Should he have not done it on work time yes. Should he lose his job for it. No When someone makes a dumb mistake there is no reason to hang him or her out to dry. We are all human and we all have done silly things. It shouldn't cost us our job and or family. This should've been handled privately I agree Fairview. JMO. Did he say something derogative? I didn't read the tweet.

Let me get this clear: He made a mistake, a "dumb mistake", an error of judgement. Why? Because he got caught? Had no one (over)reacted, it would have been ok? The crime is- having gotten caught. No. the movement from the visual- seeing, an act of voyeurism to that writing- putting one's thoughts into text demands Agency. A will to knowledge. Yes, we can continue to defend sexism in it's vulgar form- 'boys will be boys', but his colleague did the Right thing. This type of behaviour is unacceptable- it is not a private matter. It wasn't for him, either. I would like you to apply some of that find bb mind of yours to the issue at hand. The By is filled with comments about Stokes great body, yet none of these comments have wondered off into any grey areas. Had he been a member of Uconn's entourage I would have called for his dismissal. The Courant can do as they please- I won't be reading him, until he self-admit to some rehab-- not, I got caught so I have to say these few things.

Reaction Score
Thank Goodness that we have Kerith Burke to tell us what is or is not appropriate.

If the Texas cheerleaders and school didn't want the obvious attention that their outfits generate then they would have designed them differently. They want the attention and then a normal red-blooded male isn't supposed to comment on it?

Kerith: Focus on what you are doing and let other pros worry about their own work. If its truly offensive, the Courant would have policed this on their own. They don't need Kerith bringing attention to this.

Another case of the thought police and the whole PC BS telling you what to think or what you can say and who can / can't say it.

There was absolutely nothing wrong in John's comments and observations.

Period and End of Story.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Thank Goodness that we have Kerith Burke to tell us what is or is not appropriate.
Well some people need it.

If the Texas cheerleaders and school didn't want the obvious attention that their outfits generate then they would have designed them differently. They want the attention and then a normal red-blooded male isn't supposed to comment on it?
Not on Twitter. And not with pictures and kinda creepy comments. But mostly not while he's supposed to be working the game. Women's game at that.

Kerith: Focus on what you are doing and let other pros worry about their own work.
Yea, see that was kind of the point. John needed to focus on HIS work. The game.

Another case of the thought police and the whole PC BS telling you what to think or what you can say and who can / can't say it.
No, not in this case. It was kinda creepy. And it doesn't have anything to do with what you think or say, it's who you're saying it to.

There was absolutely nothing wrong in John's comments and observations.
Unfortunately there was.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I'm 55, never married, no children and routinely date in the mid 20s to mid 40s range.

It appears I am a candidate for great scorn according to some of the mathmatical calculations I'm seeing.:eek:
...or admiration.

Reaction Score
I'm 55, never married, no children and routinely date in the mid 20s to mid 40s range.

It appears I am a candidate for great scorn according to some of the mathmatical calculations I'm seeing.:eek:
You is a PLAY-AH!

Reaction Score
The guy put his foot in his mouth- a common danger that people who deal with the public have to watch out for. Look at Don Imus.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Let me get this clear: He made a mistake, a "dumb mistake", an error of judgement. Why? Because he got caught? Had no one (over)reacted, it would have been ok? The crime is- having gotten caught. No. the movement from the visual- seeing, an act of voyeurism to that writing- putting one's thoughts into text demands Agency. A will to knowledge. Yes, we can continue to defend sexism in it's vulgar form- 'boys will be boys', but his colleague did the Right thing. This type of behaviour is unacceptable- it is not a private matter. It wasn't for him, either. I would like you to apply some of that find bb mind of yours to the issue at hand. The By is filled with comments about Stokes great body, yet none of these comments have wondered off into any grey areas. Had he been a member of Uconn's entourage I would have called for his dismissal. The Courant can do as they please- I won't be reading him, until he self-admit to some rehab-- not, I got caught so I have to say these few things.
I am trying to decide whether this is a serious post or a joke.
Rehab? He needs to go to rehab?
Since you won't be reading him until he self-admits to rehab and you are saying the Courant can "do as they please," are you implying you believe the Courant should fire him if he does not go into rehab? What would that rehab be for?

CL82

Reaction Score
Well some people need it.

Not on Twitter. And not with pictures and kinda creepy comments. But mostly not while he's supposed to be working the game. Women's game at that.

Yea, see that was kind of the point. John needed to focus on HIS work. The game.

No, not in this case. It was kinda creepy. And it doesn't have anything to do with what you think or say, it's who you're saying it to.

Unfortunately there was.
Meyers, maybe I'm missing something. What was kind of creepy about his text, other than the fact that he commented at all?

Reaction Score
Meyers, maybe I'm missing something. What was kind of creepy about his text, other than the fact that he commented at all?
You have to admit that it is kinda strange.

I honestly don't think about the cheerleaders/dancers at college games in any bad way. I just think like "Hey, it's cool that WCBB has these things!". I clap for them after they leave the court. Just like I don't think of the players in a bad way. I'm into the game and the competition.

You might also have to admit that pro football definitely emphasizes a different thing with their "cheerleaders" with the real skimpy outfits etc, etc. Pro basketball may do the same thing but I haven't been to an NBA game in ages.

Reaction Score

I honestly don't think about the cheerleaders/dancers at college games in any bad way. I just think like "Hey, it's cool that WCBB has these things!". I clap for them after they leave the court. Just like I don't think of the players in a bad way. I'm into the game and the competition.

You might also have to admit that pro football definitely emphasizes a different thing with their "cheerleaders" with the real skimpy outfits etc, etc. Pro basketball may do the same thing but I haven't been to an NBA game in ages.
The Miami Heat have a dance team who wear notoriously skimpy outfits and dance very suggestively (what my wife would call sl*tty). I hosted some guys from Brazil in Miami a few years ago and we took them to a Heat game. They didn't know much about basketball, but they LOVED the game - spent the whole time ogling the dancers.

CL82

Reaction Score

That he Tweeted it? Yeah I guess. But it seems like you have to make some big leaps of interpretation to decide anything untoward was meant.

Reaction Score
The Miami Heat have a dance team who wear notoriously skimpy outfits and dance very suggestively (what my wife would call sl*tty). I hosted some guys from Brazil in Miami a few years ago and we took them to a Heat game. They didn't know much about basketball, but they LOVED the game - spent the whole time ogling the dancers.
One of the dancers from the Philly 76ers gave me one of her cards at the Wash/Chicago preseason game last year. I still have it in my desk.

And yes their outfits were pretty "suggestive".

Reaction Score
That he Tweeted it? Yeah I guess. But it seems like you have to make some big leaps of interpretation to decide anything untoward was meant.
All in all it seems to be a pretty dumb move considering that the other sportswriter got laid off earlier this year.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Normally an hour or so before a UConn WBB game we would start to see tweets from John A from the venue. Its now 20 minutes before game time and not a single tweet from John. I'd say he's suspended by the Courant for covering at least this game and will have to see if its longer if UConn ends up going to the Final Four.

Reaction Score
Ban all cheerleaders, pom pom squads and dance teams... and provide Kerith with a burqa.

Geez- I always thought the First Amendment protected all speech, even that which is stupid and insensitive.

You should probably take a civics class before you lose your job, then.

I don't think this is a fireable offense, but his work is, so I'll be glad to see him go. Too much dead weight in the local sports coverage. It would be nice if some of the people writing about UConn sports actually liked following them, as opposed to these guys who complain about their beats constantly.

Reaction Score
Kerith's major point was that this was a common comment from John. View attachment 8926
That's disturbing to me. I have always respected Kerith. Obviously this is an ongoing problem. I do believe in a little suspension and moving on. I have gotten the feeling from his tweets recently that he's not fond of his job though. Most of his tweets are negative. He will probably get his wish soon and get reassigned especially if other women media people have issues to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom