UCTV Player Profie: Katie Lou Samuelson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCTV Player Profie: Katie Lou Samuelson

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
RMTb2 - I'll disagree with you on the 'had the development of their full potential limited' statement. On offense, the Uconn system thrives on the development of forward/center players' mid-range game and those that have the shooting touch are encouraged to take it out to the arc. I can't think of any player capable of doing more than hang at the basket that wasn't pushed to develop those aspects. At the same time they were also learning to be effective around the basket against taller and stronger players - a player like Tuck is not atypical, and is a very likely AA - she came in talented, but has also continued to developed nuances to her wide ranging skills. And training in the use of and setting of screens is as good as it gets.
At the defensive end - I can't think of someone who was stunted by learning leverage and footwork playing against bigger players, and the nature of the defenses Uconn employees insures that guarding in space off switches is a skill that everyone learns.

I'm not sure what players you are specifically think of as almost all of the players with enough talent have gone on to strong professional careers. Barb Turner is probably the smallest forward I can think of that played her Uconn career close to the basket - though she certainly developed her range to the arc on offense through her four years, as well as being very effective amongst the trees. Her professional career was always going to be overseas as she really did not have the speed to be a WNBA wing player or the height to ever be truly effective as a forward (she is I believe still playing in Europe.)
Kaili McLaren - still playing in Europe, though never made it to a WNBA team.
Tamika Williams Raymond - strong pro career until she chose 'family'
Cash?! - Olympian
Jones?! Olympian
Crockett - a bit of a head case in college and pretty limited - one short stint with Phoenix in the WNBA and now a assistant coach surprising everyone including herself!
??? who else?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
RMTb2 - I'll disagree with you on the 'had the development of their full potential limited' statement. On offense, the Uconn system thrives on the development of forward/center players' mid-range game and those that have the shooting touch are encouraged to take it out to the arc. I can't think of any player capable of doing more than hang at the basket that wasn't pushed to develop those aspects. At the same time they were also learning to be effective around the basket against taller and stronger players - a player like Tuck is not atypical, and is a very likely AA - she came in talented, but has also continued to developed nuances to her wide ranging skills. And training in the use of and setting of screens is as good as it gets.
At the defensive end - I can't think of someone who was stunted by learning leverage and footwork playing against bigger players, and the nature of the defenses Uconn employees insures that guarding in space off switches is a skill that everyone learns.

I'm not sure what players you are specifically think of as almost all of the players with enough talent have gone on to strong professional careers. Barb Turner is probably the smallest forward I can think of that played her Uconn career close to the basket - though she certainly developed her range to the arc on offense through her four years, as well as being very effective amongst the trees. Her professional career was always going to be overseas as she really did not have the speed to be a WNBA wing player or the height to ever be truly effective as a forward (she is I believe still playing in Europe.)
Kaili McLaren - still playing in Europe, though never made it to a WNBA team.
Tamika Williams Raymond - strong pro career until she chose 'family'
Cash?! - Olympian
Jones?! Olympian
Crockett - a bit of a head case in college and pretty limited - one short stint with Phoenix in the WNBA and now a assistant coach surprising everyone including herself!
??? who else?
a head case? wow the things people say about others... pretty limited, didnt live up to potential would have been good enough in my opinion.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
a head case? wow the things people say about others... pretty limited, didnt live up to potential would have been good enough in my opinion.
She seem to show up big for the NCAA tournament just in time, but for whatever reason was not a factor most of the season. Perhaps I could of termed it in a different way, but it was actually meant with affection - she was a fun (and very frustrating) player to watch - she played huge when the team really really really needed her, but seemed a little bored with the other games.:rolleyes:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
She seem to show up big for the NCAA tournament just in time, but for whatever reason was not a factor most of the season. Perhaps I could of termed it in a different way, but it was actually meant with affection - she was a fun (and very frustrating) player to watch - she played huge when the team really really really needed her, but seemed a little bored with the other games.:rolleyes:
head case was just a lil shocking... dont like it used with Charde as well but I understand it with her a lil more.

didnt Kara Wolters take some heat for calling someone a "head case" (as I was typing this I figured it out) EDD

I personally just cant separate that term from someone with "real mental health issues"... so I could never label someone a "head case" that's just me

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
head case was just a lil shocking... dont like it used with Charde as well but I understand it with her a lil more.

didnt Kara Wolters take some heat for calling someone a "head case" (as I was typing this I figured it out) EDD

I personally just cant separate that term from someone with "real mental health issues"... so I could never label someone a "head case" that's just me
Could be. I was thinking Rizzotti was pretty nasty about it (EDD's departure).

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Could be. I was thinking Rizzotti was pretty nasty about it (EDD's departure).
Wolters called EDD a "freak" and/or "cancer" "whacked"... found these while searching Google. Im not sure I followed any comments Rizz may have said.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Notice the background! Mariah on the wall! Not up in Gampel I am sure but there it is in the practice facility!

Curiously, the banners for Stef, Kaleena and Moriah are white, but Stewie's is blue, apparently to match all other greats previously enshrined on the Gampel wall.

Are these three (along with the rest of us) awaiting a formal unveiling of replicas of their jerseys in Gampel?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Curiously, the banners for Stef, Kaleena and Moriah are white, but Stewie's is blue, apparently to match all other greats previously enshrined on the Gampel wall.

Are these three (along with the rest of us) awaiting a formal unveiling of replicas of their jerseys in Gampel?
Not curious at all.
The blue banners are for National Player of the Year recipients. The year(s) that the awards were won are below the names. You can see a portion of Maya's banner to the left of Stewie's with three season notations below her name. And, as stated above, the white banners are for First Team All-American recipients.

The problem with all this is that either the banners need to be grouped closer together or a new practice facility will need to be constructed soon for lack of wall space!

Poor planning. Typical State project. :)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Biff, thanks for the clarification.

You must have acquired your keen insight by somehow having actually seen all the blue (POY) banners and the white (AA) ones. If so, I envy you.

Now we know. Thanks again. :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Cool.
I guess I have used it more frequently in a somewhat humorous and affectionate way - certainly did not mean to disrespect her. In many ways she was sort of a precursor of Kiah - a player with lots of talent that showed up when absolutely necessary, but spent lots of time treading water during her four years. Kiah was much more consistent the last two years than Crockett I think, but they had that same 'well, if you REALLY need me, OK' kind of brilliance. (Bill appears to have convinced Kiah that they REALLY need her every game! :))
Charde - I have never used that term for Charde - she struck me as just a bad fit with Geno and the program - I think she learned a lot while here, but always felt she might have been happier and more successful with a different coach. She stands out in that regard when looking at major starters at Uconn.
And with EDD - nope, that seemed to me to be a very rational, if emotion driven, decision she made in very unique circumstances. As a team we really missed her, and it probably had a serious effect on the recruiting around that time (as to who they were pursuing after her commitment), but I never blamed her for making her choice.

Reaction Score
Cool.
I guess I have used it more frequently in a somewhat humorous and affectionate way - certainly did not mean to disrespect her. In many ways she was sort of a precursor of Kiah - a player with lots of talent that showed up when absolutely necessary, but spent lots of time treading water during her four years. Kiah was much more consistent the last two years than Crockett I think, but they had that same 'well, if you REALLY need me, OK' kind of brilliance. (Bill appears to have convinced Kiah that they REALLY need her every game! :))
Charde - I have never used that term for Charde - she struck me as just a bad fit with Geno and the program - I think she learned a lot while here, but always felt she might have been happier and more successful with a different coach. She stands out in that regard when looking at major starters at Uconn.
And with EDD - nope, that seemed to me to be a very rational, if emotion driven, decision she made in very unique circumstances. As a team we really missed her, and it probably had a serious effect on the recruiting around that time (as to who they were pursuing after her commitment), but I never blamed her for making her choice.
Kiah's priority while in college was to study hard and get good grades. Now that she has graduated, her priority is to win basketball games because that's how she earns a living.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
View attachment 10651 View attachment 10650
Biff, thanks for the clarification.

You must have acquired your keen insight by somehow having actually seen all the blue (POY) banners and the white (AA) ones. If so, I envy you.

Now we know. Thanks again. :)

Well you went and made me look a little closer at what exactly is up there.

The top row, as stated previously, are the recipients of Player of the year awards. Based on the membership, it appears to represent players who were recipients of either the AP POY of the year or the Naithsmith POY.

The second (white) row represents First Team All American recipients that are not already listed in the POY row above. I can't find a clear picture of the wall so using a snapshot of the little media videos I've labeled the banners in the picture below.

The summation of these banners represents all those on the Wall of Honor in Gampel with the exception of Stewie and Mojeff who will receive that honor at the end of the season.

1314213.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member