Uconn's time may be near.... | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Uconn's time may be near....

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Looks like the moving vans are already being packed.

New rumor is Maryland has asked WVU for help to get them in the Big 12. Maybe the vaunted ACC loyalty is not absolute.

Sounds legit.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Looks like the moving vans are already being packed.

New rumor is Maryland has asked WVU for help to get them in the Big 12. Maybe the vaunted ACC loyalty is not absolute.

Where is this rumor being reported?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The Big East would be interested in Florida State, too. I'll tweet it - that'll make it so.

I'm not following (not that that's important). Is your joke trying to say that the Big12 is not interested in Florida State, or that Florida State is not interested in the Big12? Based on a lot of information that has floated around in the last four hours involving the chairman of their board and their coach, I would say that the latter is clearly not true.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The Athletic Department deficit gives the Football backers some clout. FSU needs tens of millions for improvements. You know some of the backers are going to hold back unless they perform due diligence.

FSU is the Big Revenue Fish in the small pond of the ACC. This is a good set up for approaching the B12 and SEC. It's going to happen.

http://floridastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1362072

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Where is this rumor being reported?
There's a dude on the WVU board that posted it. He's throwing out rumors left and right. He has another one that VT contacted the SEC.

Reaction Score
We should contact the Big 12. I'd rather see those programs at the Rent than the ACC schools. Add L'ville, UConn and Rutgers to Big 12 with F State and maybe ND and it's got alot of upside.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm not following (not that that's important). Is your joke trying to say that the Big12 is not interested in Florida State, or that Florida State is not interested in the Big12? Based on a lot of information that has floated around in the last four hours involving the chairman of their board and their coach, I would say that the latter is clearly not true.

I hope to the high heavens that Swofford has to stand watch as his conference parades out the front door - I truly do.

But some fits and starts and a temper tantrum from a BOT member doesn't quite move the needle far enough for me.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I hope to the high heavens that Swofford has to stand watch as his conference parades out the front door - I truly do.

But some fits and starts and a temper tantrum from a BOT member doesn't quite move the needle far enough for me.
Check out that Wetzel story on Yahoo. ACC teams only getting 1 million bump next year, they won't see the full 4 million increase for years because the contract is backloaded. Supposedly the new contract was viewed as anywhere from disappointing to disastrous in ACC circles, and they are worried FSU can't afford to stay.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Do we really want to go to the ACC with that crappy deal? We might want to see what BE can get on the open market first before we make that decision. ACC is screwed for the next 15 years with that deal. 15 years is a long time in this conference realignment thing.

THANK YOU! what the acc is going to be 5 years from now is not worth us joining. if we can keep ruty/usf/ucf/uh/bsu on board among others, we are in way better shape in the future. screw ppls local rivals dreams.

Reaction Score
THANK YOU! what the acc is going to be 5 years from now is not worth us joining. if we can keep ruty/usf/ucf/uh/bsu on board among others, we are in way better shape in the future. screw ppls local rivals dreams.

Yep. BE did the right thing by turning down that horrible ESPN offer. BE needs to get the membership right and go to the open market for a big deal. In this conference realignment game, it is all about money and whoever can offer the most money will do the poaching pure and simple. If BE can add BYU, and Fresno to the mix, I think the TV deal could be pretty nice.

Reaction Score
Im shocked that adding syracuse and Pitt did not add much if anything to the ACC TV deal. Of course, what does that say about the value of Uconn, Rutty, Louisville etc?

the one thing thsi crappy deal does is almost force the ACC to look into re-opening expansion by begging ND to come. what can they do to appease FSU to stay? nothing? ND perhaps

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Yep. BE did the right thing by turning down that horrible ESPN offer. BE needs to get the membership right and go to the open market for a big deal. In this conference realignment game, it is all about money and whoever can offer the most money will do the poaching pure and simple. If BE can add BYU, and Fresno to the mix, I think the TV deal could be pretty nice.
Or maybe the networks are dialing back on the money now, shown by the ACC deal. We cannot attract better teams than what the current ACC has, and the BE starts negotiating with ESPN in September. Sorry, anyone who thinks this current BE mongrel is better than the ACC without hypothetically FSU and Clemson, is out of their mind.

Reaction Score
Expansion for the ACC is dead unless the name is ND. There is no way the ACC will divide the revenues by more teams. They start their meetings today with a lot of turmoil among the AD's. They were kept in the dark on the TV contract and now they feel they got screwed. The TV contract only adds 1M for the next 9 years., contract was backloaded. Now the ACC contract is way below what the other BCS conferences are making.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
My understanding is that the ACC deal is based on inventory, not specific programs. I am sure there are some qualifications for that, but from what I have read, the ACC deal has the ability to swap teams out. ESPN knew this situation before they agreed to that deal.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
My understanding is that the ACC deal is based on inventory, not specific programs. I am sure there are some qualifications for that, but from what I have read, the ACC deal has the ability to swap teams out. ESPN knew this situation before they agreed to that deal.

You figured they would have had to known exactly what was going on between the Big12 and the ACC teams. There's no way ESPN would have made a low ball deal, if they hadn't known FSU/Clemson were out the door or else they would have made the deal larger to control all their games.

I was talking to the WVU Insider and he made a good point (wasn't insider info just conversation), but he said:

Big12 adds Ville, FSU, Clemson, and say Miami
ACC adds UConn, Rutgers

Big12 - 14 teams, on ESPN/Fox
ACC - 14 teams all on ESPN

ESPN essentially has control of all the brand name Big East teams for football, can still bid on a split BE Hoops league (with Nova, GTown, etc.), while NBCSports if they want to get into the game only has a split BE Football league headlined by Cincy, USF, UCF, etc. essentially C-USA. to bid on.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It depends on the Tier 3 for basketball in the ACC deal. There have been conflicting reports from ACC people.

If the schools control the Tier 3 hoops rights, then UNC and Duke can still make mid-$20's or better per year, which would be enough to keep the ACC losses to no more than 4 teams, and make it an attractive league for UConn. If ALL the Tier 3's are owned by ESPN, I don't see how the ACC is viable, or why UNC and UVa would stay. We would be jumping from one sinking ship to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom