Uconn's time may be near.... | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Uconn's time may be near....

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big 12 is a greatly diminished product with the 4 defections they incurred. ESPN threw money at them to avoid having a bunch of middle America congress people in Kansas and Iowa start anti-trust hearings against them.

Do you realize how ridiculous you sound? The Big 12 just agreed to a monster deal while ESPN is not returning Swofford's phone calls.

Reaction Score
Do you realize how ridiculous you sound? The Big 12 just agreed to a monster deal while ESPN is not returning Swofford's phone calls.

Tell me this - is the Big 12 a better conference without Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri and Texas A&M ? I hardly think so. The quality of competition is way down. The big paycheck is to avoid anti-trust problems. "Texas, Oklahoma and who" could be the name of the conference. Why would Fla State and Clemson want to sign on to play West Virginia, Baylor, Iowa State and Kansas ? If they move anywhere, it would be to the SEC.

The SEC already makes more money than God, so unless they can make even more than that, why even discuss adding Fla State and Clemson ? How much more bang does that get them ? As people have been pointing out on this board, Fla State hasn't been the same since Bowden left.

Looking at it from the SEC's point of view, things are just about perfect right now. They dominate college football. Their champ and runner up are in the discussion for the BCS championship every year. They dominate the bowls. They make the most money. They have a nice, tidy 12 team conference. They have no reason to change things, really. What do Fla State and Clemson really add to the package ? They simply duplicate markets that they already have.

Reaction Score
Tell me this - is the Big 12 a better conference without Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri and Texas A&M ? I hardly think so. The quality of competition is way down. The big paycheck is to avoid anti-trust problems. "Texas, Oklahoma and who" could be the name of the conference. Why would Fla State and Clemson want to sign on to play West Virginia, Baylor, Iowa State and Kansas ? If they move anywhere, it would be to the SEC.
Competition is not way down. The average BCS computer ranking for the ten Big12 teams over the past four years outpaces the SEC and is first overall. Average rpi over that time in MBB is second only to the ACC and the nine schools other than tcu outpace the ACC average.

The big paycheck is from a top to bottom competitive league with mega brands Texas and OU playing in it. WVU isn't on their level but adds strong brand value as well.

FSU and Clemson would join for the following-
Probable gap of 10m tv revenue post expansion
Add 3m for title game
Anywhere from 1-5m depending on how playoff revenue is split based on which leagues qualify. The Bog 12 would get two teams in as often as the ACC gets one in.

Also a greater shot at making the title game themselves.

Reaction Score
Competition is not way down. The average BCS computer ranking for the ten Big12 teams over the past four years outpaces the SEC and is first overall. Average rpi over that time in MBB is second only to the ACC and the nine schools other than tcu outpace the ACC average.

The big paycheck is from a top to bottom competitive league with mega brands Texas and OU playing in it. WVU isn't on their level but adds strong brand value as well.

Add 3m for title game
Anywhere from 1-5m depending on how playoff revenue is split based on which leagues qualify. The Bog 12 would get two teams in as often as the ACC gets one in.

The Big 12 did have a strong 2011 season, even with both Oklahoma and Texas in down years. However, the league will definitely take a step back in 2012. Baylor will return to mediocrity at best and OSU will fall hard. Texas A&M and Missouri provided good depth and are also gone. Kansas State is always good, but no one ever seems to care. Texas should be fine. Oklahoma should be strong. But it is turning into a situation where you expect the same two teams to win all the time.

As an aside, I don't know how anyone can predict what will happen with FSU or Clemson without the following happening: (1) Big 12 getting a new deal; (2) the BCS finalizing their new playoff plans; and (3) the outcome of what the ACC gets in its new TV renegotiation.

If Florida State is so wanted by the Big 12, then the Big 12 can wait until all the foregoing happen so FSU knows fully what their options are.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big 12 did have a strong 2011 season, even with both Oklahoma and Texas in down years. However, the league will definitely take a step back in 2012. Baylor will return to mediocrity at best and OSU will fall hard. Texas A&M and Missouri provided good depth and are also gone. Kansas State is always good, but no one ever seems to care. Texas should be fine. Oklahoma should be strong. But it is turning into a situation where you expect the same two teams to win all the time.

As an aside, I don't know how anyone can predict what will happen with FSU or Clemson without the following happening: (1) Big 12 getting a new deal; (2) the BCS finalizing their new playoff plans; and (3) the outcome of what the ACC gets in its new TV renegotiation.

If Florida State is so wanted by the Big 12, then the Big 12 can wait until all the foregoing happen so FSU knows fully what their options are.

1) Big 12 has a new deal
2) BCS deal is outlined, good for Big 12, bad for ACC
3) ACC is being forced to take ESPN to arbitration. How would you say their TV negotiations are going?

Reaction Score

Add 3m for title game

Why FSU won't join the Big12:

http://dev.chuckoliver.net/2012/05/forget-rumors-reasons-why-fsu-would-never-join-the-big-12/

Reaction Score
With all due respect, I have a hard time taking FSU and their academic reasons for staying in the ACC with any degree of seriousness. We arent talking Duke here, we are talking about FSU. I think every single college president, including FSU, has shown that its the Benjamins that matter, that is exactly why this mess is happenning in the first place. It has ZERO to do with regional indentity and academics, recent events have shown us that much, and yet all the sudden FSU, of all people, is going to make a principled stand?

I aint buying that for one minute. We are talking about long term futures of schools and that all comes back to money. College presidents have shown a willingness to whore themselves out to the next league willing to pay them, the only ones that are "principled" are the ones who havent had their price met yet.....

Reaction Score

The bcs computer rankings I quoted outpaced the SEC each of the past four years. Our competition level has not decreased and it is not some one year wonder.

I see the Big 12 as wide open. Everyone except KU could end up finishing in the top 25 and I would not be shocked at all.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Plus he spells it with 2 d's - Chadd.

But, even though in the end the $$$ will trump academics, I think even at FSU academics is part of the discussion and will be a factor. Just not the deciding factor.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
With all due respect, I have a hard time taking FSU and their academic reasons for staying in the ACC with any degree of seriousness. We arent talking Duke here, we are talking about FSU. I think every single college president, including FSU, has shown that its the Benjamins that matter, that is exactly why this mess is happenning in the first place. It has ZERO to do with regional indentity and academics, recent events have shown us that much, and yet all the sudden FSU, of all people, is going to make a principled stand?

I aint buying that for one minute. We are talking about long term futures of schools and that all comes back to money. College presidents have shown a willingness to whore themselves out to the next league willing to pay them, the only ones that are "principled" are the ones who havent had their price met yet.....

An additional $10 to $15 million a year pays a lot of professors' salaries.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Add 3m for title game

BCS rankings for the last 4 years don't matter, dude. Four of those teams are gone now. If the Big 12 is such a great freaking conference, tell us all again why they almost blew apart a few months ago ?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
BCS rankings for the last 4 years don't matter, dude. Four of those teams are gone now. If the Big 12 is such a great freaking conference, tell us all again why they almost blew apart a few months ago ?

Situations and times change.

The Big12 got a huge TV deal, teams are allowed to get their own Tier 3 rights and they have agreed on a 13 year Grant of Rights.

The Big10, SEC and Pac12 just happen to be the 3 biggest, most stable and richest as far as TV dollars goes conferences - it's fairly simple why Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A&M and Mizzou left.

Be it pure rumor or not, talk that the SEC and Big10 could expand and take ACC teams is out there. The ACC is locked into what will be the 5th best tv deal of the Big10,SEC,Pac12 and Big12.

Do I think Florida State or Clemson will leave? I have no clue. As a fan, I value rivalries more than anything else. If I was a President of a school and I could significantly affect my bottom line with a conference affiliation, I would have to think about that decision.

Reaction Score
Everyone ,when you see a contract , with all the presidents of the Big 12 signatures on it giving up rights for 13 years. Then have that verified by business lawyers that it is a legal, binding agreement, then you can say the big 12 is stable for a few years.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Everyone ,when you see a contract , with all the presidents of the Big 12 signatures on it giving up rights for 13 years. Then have that verified by business lawyers that it is a legal, binding agreement, then you can say the big 12 is stable for a few years.

What do I get when you are wrong?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Right, so if we take some of those ghosts we can have a conference like:

GrayLady/Slimer/Gozer/Zuul/VinzClortho/MayorLaguardia/StaPuftMarshmallowMan/Vigo/StatueofLiberty

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Right, so if we take some of those ghosts we can have a conference like:

GrayLady/Slimer/Gozer/Zuul/VinzClortho/MayorLaguardia/StaPuftMarshmallowMan/Vigo/StatueofLiberty

Looks good to me. You might want to pick up Janine Melnitz for a conference championship game, and if we're really desperate, Louis Tully and Walter Peck. Gozer the Gozarian is definitely the one to beat in this conference, so if she asks you if you're a god.....you say "yes"...

Reaction Score
1- the numbers are for the ten 2012 members although the 2011 numbers are almost as good in fb and better in hoops.
2- The league fell into a bad spot due to a poor decision to extend the fox contract in 2007 at a rate that became obsolete once the Big Ten network reset the tv marketplace. Prior to that we were paid almost the same per school as the SEC & B1G and more than the ACC or PAC. When the B1G network deal showed big returns the board was reset and we were unfortunately locked in. Then the B1G, SEC, and PAC had timing of renegotiations that promised more money on their side. Quality of play never was lacking. TV revenue timing was horrible.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Looks good to me. You might want to pick up Janine Melnitz for a conference championship game, and if we're really desperate, Louis Tully and Walter Peck. Gozer the Gozarian is definitely the one to beat in this conference, so if she asks you if you're a god.....you say "yes"...

I tried not to think of anything...it just popped into my head...the most harmless thing I could think of...

Reaction Score
Rather b in ACC. Football will be even but Hoops much better in ACC.

I'd rather be in the new version of the Big East than the ACC version without FSU & Clemson. If that ever were to happen......you don't think VT and the upper crust of the ACC would be looking elsewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom