UConn's RPI Rating Is What! | The Boneyard

UConn's RPI Rating Is What!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Oh stop getting excited. You know it won't last. Last year UConn was back around #10 for awhile, finally moved to #5, and finished the season at #2, but still well back from the ND team with 3 losses. With this year's crushing OOC schedule, there may be some hope, but still thinking that UConn at best finishes in that same #2 position as the undefeated 2001-02 team that was way back of a UTenn team with 4 losses.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Oh yeah.

we-are-awesome.JPG

Reaction Score
I spent my entire career in healthcare, that is to say, in science. Among many other things, here are two lessons that I learned from that experience:

1. Statistics are of the utmost importance.
2. The old adage, that one can find statistics to prove any supposition, is absolutely true.

Ergo, why get excited by this stuff? Recently, I angered a fellow-poster by being dismissive of his (her?) concerns about UConn not being unanimous #1 in some poll. We all know who #1 is, and know that fact will be borne out the only place it matters...between the lines. Whether through regional bias or unsupportable misinterpretation (or manipulation) of statistics, stuff like this will inevitably pop up. RPI (whatever that really is), rankings polls, forget all that foolishness and focus on results! The rest is all fluff.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To be clear, if UConn is ranked #1 in RPI, that's nice, I guess, but big deal! As Dobbs points out, probably won't last.

Reaction Score
I spent my entire career in healthcare, that is to say, in science. Among many other things, here are two lessons that I learned from that experience:

1. Statistics are of the utmost importance.
2. The old adage, that one can find statistics to prove any supposition, is absolutely true.

Ergo, why get excited by this stuff? Recently, I angered a fellow-poster by being dismissive of his (her?) concerns about UConn not being unanimous #1 in some poll. We all know who #1 is, and know that fact will be borne out the only place it matters...between the lines. Whether through regional bias or unsupportable misinterpretation (or manipulation) of statistics, stuff like this will inevitably pop up. RPI (whatever that really is), rankings polls, forget all that foolishness and focus on results! The rest is all fluff.

Mark Twain said there were three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well since we obviously do not play the #1 team in RPI, Geno must have crafted a cupcake schedule to pad our stats.

Reaction Score
Link http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basket...ketball-rpi?cid=ncaastatssocial_tw_sf16215667

Maryland Ranked 5th RPI 107
Miss State Ranked 8th RPI 189 Pathetic OOC Schedule

SOS is very important when calculating RPI

105 - Maryland 5-0 with SOS 295
106 - AR Pine Bluff 0-2 with SOS 5

161 - Houston 1-5 with SOS 27
162 - Lehigh 5-1 with SOS 283

So a team with a 4 game worst record have a RPI higher than a 5-1 team. SOS is huge.

Not sure if it was mentioned but UConn's SOS is #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom