UConn's quarterback situation through the eyes of QB coach Don Patterson (J. Fuller) | The Boneyard

UConn's quarterback situation through the eyes of QB coach Don Patterson (J. Fuller)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fuller's been one busy dude... http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2014/08/uconn-qb-coach-dishes-on-cochran-whitmer.html

>>With the decision to use both Cochran and Whitmer in games I was curious what Patterson felt were the biggest differences between the two.

"They are similar in a lot of ways," Patterson said. "To be able to play effectively in our offense you have to be a really smart guy and they both have really high football intelligence. They understand the game really well. Their decision making is right on most of the time, their goal is to be right on most of the time. It is impossible to play a perfect game at quarterback but that is what they are trying to do and if they approach that they will be playing as well or better than anybody in the country because it is such a difficult job. They are both really into football, they are the basketball equivalent of a gym rat, they really like the game, they like the strategy of the game, they are both in so many ways extroverted. They are good leaders, they are decisive decision makers, they embrace the expectations that they can handle all the stuff at once It is like being an air traffic controller, you have all these things at one time and you have to make snap decisions."<<

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I agree that Fuller has been great.....Chip was awesome also.

Did anyone notice that Patterson didn't answer the question? He was asked how they are different and he gave a paragraph on how they are the same. Maybe they truly aren't different at all...but it feels like he didn't want to differentiate the two publicly. Not a criticism...just an observation.

Reaction Score
Fuller is doing good work. Also included a nice little blurb on Shamar Stephens making the most of his opportunity w/ the Vikings, getting extra run with the 1's and 2's as a result of Linval Joseph being sidelined after getting shot in the leg. Seems to be making a good impression.

Reaction Score
I agree that Fuller has been great.....Chip was awesome also.

Did anyone notice that Patterson didn't answer the question? He was asked how they are different and he gave a paragraph on how they are the same. Maybe they truly aren't different at all...but it feels like he didn't want to differentiate the two publicly. Not a criticism...just an observation.

I was thinking the same thing. In the whole article he never gave any reasons how they are different from one another.

Reaction Score
there is something else I take from this story, and I think it is a recurring theme with this coaching staff. In my job I do a lot of statistical analysis of data, and it looks like this staff does the same, it is all about statistics, guidelines, it appears very ridged. They monitor diet, sleep, study patterns, vitamin intake not only every aspect of their football life, but what they do outside football too. This story mentions that every pass that each QB threw in practice was charted. I bet it was not just charted as complete/incomplete/Int. I bet it was charted to quality of throw, coverage type, distance, location on field, was that the most open receiver. If you have ever read the book Money Ball, I bet this staff is like that. I see them as a new breed of coaches that are saying, I might not get the biggest/fastest player, but if I can get the player that does the things I need then I can win with them. I am not saying that this approach is either a good thing or a bad thing, I am just trying to compare that to the staff of "He who shall not be named". They appear to be the exact opposite. I think (JMHO)that they left that all to the players and if the players did not follow the program there was little that they did about it and as far as coaching went, they did what they wanted to do, regardless of the skill set and prepardness of the players.

I beleive we all just became fans of the Oakland A's.

Reaction Score
there is something else I take from this story, and I think it is a recurring theme with this coaching staff. In my job I do a lot of statistical analysis of data, and it looks like this staff does the same, it is all about statistics, guidelines, it appears very ridged. They monitor diet, sleep, study patterns, vitamin intake not only every aspect of their football life, but what they do outside football too. This story mentions that every pass that each QB threw in practice was charted. I bet it was not just charted as complete/incomplete/Int. I bet it was charted to quality of throw, coverage type, distance, location on field, was that the most open receiver. If you have ever read the book Money Ball, I bet this staff is like that. I see them as a new breed of coaches that are saying, I might not get the biggest/fastest player, but if I can get the player that does the things I need then I can win with them. I am not saying that this approach is either a good thing or a bad thing, I am just trying to compare that to the staff of "He who shall not be named". They appear to be the exact opposite. I think (JMHO)that they left that all to the players and if the players did not follow the program there was little that they did about it and as far as coaching went, they did what they wanted to do, regardless of the skill set and prepardness of the players.

I beleive we all just became fans of the Oakland A's.

This probably is pretty close to the truth. These guys are operating in the 21st century, and can relate to 21st century college football players - and that for me - for now - is good enough. We'll see how they play in a WEEK!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom