UConn's Football Upgrade | The Boneyard

UConn's Football Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Football drives the bus...right off the bridge.

Thanks again, Lew. Waste of $200,000,000. Waste.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
What? I know it's bad news, but this is an idiotic post.

No football upgrade, and we're UMaine right now, with good basketball instead of hockey.
We're not far from there in just a few years.

zls44

Reaction Score
How are we better off? How? Because we get to play UCF? Are you kidding me?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
so losing pitt and cuse was ok but oh no losing a partial member in ND and all the sudden we are UMaine. news flash until the 4 16 team conferences are set UConn is in the game.

Reaction Score
there'll always be paris. if it doesn't end up working, at least its been a fun ride.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
so losing pitt and cuse was ok but oh no losing a partial member in ND and all the sudden we are UMaine. news flash until the 4 16 team conferences are set UConn is in the game.

Read my post again. You're 1000000% off base.

Reaction Score
i was more responding to the ridiculous notion that uconn wasted 200 million to upgrade football. Just lumped that UMaine reference in there out of frustration

Reaction Score
UConn is much better off and better positioned as a state school competing at the FBS level than it ever was as an FCS program. At least we can still hope to move to a better conference, or that our conference earns respect on the field. We can hope to have a good season and make a decent bowl game. We play football on TV. There is no way that staying at FCS would have been better.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i dont get the bball crowd that says fball is bad. we upgraded and now are where we are. if we didn't upgrade, then we would be with porv/shu/sju...after the eventual split one day. guess what, if we get to that day and uconn fball is , then our bball can still go that way. the we should not play fball argumen is the dumbest thing EVER.

Reaction Score
I am glad we upgraded to FBS level. Like CTMike, no regrets. We'll be taken in by another conference eventually. Us and Louisville are the next in line to be snatched up. Ahead of Rutgers. Rutgers barely wins championships of any type in any sport. ND, Louisville and UConn were the top three athletic departments.

Reaction Score
Football drives the bus...right off the bridge.

Thanks again, Lew. Waste of $200,000,000. Waste.

Pathetic

We can go to the Courant where they reprinted the Edsall article ... We were NOWHERE in 1998; nothing about that Program/AD smelled like Division 1. (and you can go now & look at the parallel UMASS) We are somewhere today & have the capacity to grow the football; protect our prized Champion basketball programs; and do something special in some of the Olympics. Our brand name is far beyond where it was ... so that paid off on that investment.

I don't think the OP has much of the broad view of where this Football sits in our overall Institution.

As for today's NEWS? Notre Dame is effectively playing 5 games. They've been a mid-level Hoop program for our guys; and competitive for the women. Are we totally out of the ACC? Probably. Not crying ... cause I hate Swofford & I think we just lost Vitale's focus too.

Reaction Score
It's just a random thought, Pudge, but one the things that bothers me somewhere in the back of my head, about the whole new world of ESPN and their new slave - the ACC - is that the leadership over there at ESPN now - has the gumption to call their sprawling real estate - a campus.

They do! - they call it the 'ESPN campus' now. They us terms like "so and so is 'on the ESPN campus' today.

How in the world can college institutions get that to change? It makes me mad on a some level that they use that term. Weird, but whatever - it's what I"m thinking right now.

Reaction Score
Yeah ... as much as WE bitch about ESPN: when I was at the UConn Business School recently, it was ESPN Day. UConn kids sliding into the door for jobs. It's a crazy mixed world. And NO ... I hate Dick Vitale's critical comments on the BE carcass. Just need to punch that dude & Swofford in the nose.

Reaction Score
The post that started this thread is now the best reason to blow this place up. Can't even coherently respond. yeah, lets be Providence or Villanova. Jesus

zls44

Reaction Score
I guess if they aren't going to 16 it's different. But if they go to 16 and take a basketball only, the upgrade is going to look REALLY stupid.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
But without the upgrade, where would we have housed the central command location for the disaster relief?;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom