UConn's Battle For Hosting Hockey East First Round | The Boneyard

UConn's Battle For Hosting Hockey East First Round

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I thought I would start a thread for UConn's race for the eighth seed.

Biggest news this weekend concerning UConn was UNH defeating Providence last night. UNH is now only a point behind UConn in the standings. UNH still has a game in hand. Maine swept UMass and they are now a point behind UConn as well.

UConn has a difficult schedule coming down the stretch. On the road at Merrimack is not easy, followed by Providence, Northeastern, and UNH.

UConn will need to find a way to get points from the Providence and Northeastern series to give them a chance the final weekend. It will be a difficult task.

Reaction Score
Good thing about any tiebreakers, is the first one is head-to-head.

UConn has it over Maine, but there have been no games yet against UNH.

If they can find a way to take 3 out of 4 points against UNH that will be huge. Lot easier said then done though.

Reaction Score
I think its crucial to get something from Saturday's game against Merrimack.

Reaction Score
Fair warning if you're thinking of going to the game at Merrimack, the rink is extremely small and sells out really quick, it's only 2,400 people. Might be worth calling their box office in advance to get a ticket and see if you can avoid the internet fees. Walking up to the box office for a game there can be a bit risky.

Reaction Score
Fair warning if you're thinking of going to the game at Merrimack, the rink is extremely small and sells out really quick, it's only 2,400 people. Might be worth calling their box office in advance to get a ticket and see if you can avoid the internet fees. Walking up to the box office for a game there can be a bit risky.

It's a cleaner Milford Ice Pavilion.

I can see UConn winning that game, but I'm a bit skeptical about finishing top eight. That schedule down the stretch is pretty dicey. And with Nichols' health still in the air, no game is a guarantee.

Reaction Score
It's a cleaner Milford Ice Pavilion.

I can see UConn winning that game, but I'm a bit skeptical about finishing top eight. That schedule down the stretch is pretty dicey. And with Nichols' health still in the air, no game is a guarantee.
Merrimack is playing terrible hockey right now, but they're always tough at Lawler. The rink is smaller than the standard size, 200x80 and was grandfathered in by the league as acceptable. They recruit and play to the size of the rink being so damn small. They clog the living hell out of everything and make it a royal pain in the ass to generate any kind of offense.

Reaction Score
Merrimack is playing terrible hockey right now, but they're always tough at Lawler. The rink is smaller than the standard size, 200x80 and was grandfathered in by the league as acceptable. They recruit and play to the size of the rink being so damn small. They clog the living hell out of everything and make it a royal pain in the ass to generate any kind of offense.
Well, that shouldn't be an issue since we don't generate any offense anyway!

Reaction Score
Northeastern and UMass-Lowell tie
Providence beats Maine in OT
BU beats UMass
Notre Dame beats Vermont
BC beats UNH

UConn falls to 8th in the league.

All teams 6-11 have played the same number of games except Northeastern who has played one extra game.

If UConn beats Merrimack, they could be alone in sixth tomorrow if Vermont loses to Notre Dame tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Northeastern and UMass-Lowell tie
Providence beats Maine in OT
BU beats UMass
Notre Dame beats Vermont
BC beats UNH

UConn falls to 8th in the league.

All teams 6-11 have played the same number of games except Northeastern who has played one extra game.

If UConn beats Merrimack, they could be alone in sixth tomorrow if Vermont loses to Notre Dame tomorrow.

Looking at the standings UConn is certainly in the running to finish as high as 6th in the league. That's a tremendous accomplishment for a team that is only in its second season of big time college hockey.

Reaction Score
Here's the remaining HE games for the #6-12 teams battling to get a first round home game in the HET (note, UMass and UMass Lowell only have 4 more HE games remaining, everyone else has 6)

12 pts UConn: H/A v Providence, H/A v NE, H/A v UNH,
12 pts UNH: 2H v VT, H/A v BU, H/A v UConn
12 pts Northeastern: H/A v UMass, H/A v UConn, 2H v Maine
12 pts Vermont: 2A v UNH, 2H v BC, 2A v Merrimack,
10 pts Maine: 2A v ND, 2H v Merrimack, 2A v NE,
10 pts Merrimack: H/A v BC, 2A v Maine, 2H v Vermont,
8 pts UMass: H/A v NE, H/A v PC (oddly, UMass plays UMass Lowell in a Non Conference game as well).

If I had to guess right now, I'd say the final HET seeding will be:
#1 BC - bye
#2 ND - bye
#3 PC - bye
#4 BU - bye
#5 UMass Lowell (I think BU and PC will jump Lowell by seasons end) v. #12 UMass
#6 Northeastern v. #11 Merrimack (NE has the most favorable schedule remaining (4 of 6 at home, no one from the top 5, and gets bottom feeder UMass 2x's).
#7 UConn v. #10 Maine
#8 UNH v. #9 Vermont

This most likely sets up UConn @ ND in the QF's.

Reaction Score
Here's the remaining HE games for the #6-12 teams battling to get a first round home game in the HET (note, UMass and UMass Lowell only have 4 more HE games remaining, everyone else has 6)

8 pts UMass: H/A v NE, H/A v PC (oddly, UMass plays UMass Lowell in a Non Conference game as well).

#1 BC - bye
#2 ND - bye
#3 PC - bye
#4 BU - bye
#5 UMass Lowell (I think BU and PC will jump Lowell by seasons end) v. #12 UMass
#6 Northeastern v. #11 Merrimack (NE has the most favorable schedule remaining (4 of 6 at home, no one from the top 5, and gets bottom feeder UMass 2x's).
#7 UConn v. #10 Maine
#8 UNH v. #9 Vermont

Here is the problem with your theory above UCONN will finish in 10th or 11th place in Hockey East by seasons end.

Reaction Score
Here is the problem with your theory above UCONN will finish in 10th or 11th place in Hockey East by seasons end.
Not a theory, just a guess (similar to your post...it is your guess... well really your wish more than anything).

#9 Vermont is away for 4 of 6, and their 2 home games are v BC, and their 4 away games are against other teams in the 6-11 positions so any points they do get are points those other teams do not get.
#10 Maine has a tough schedule remaining too with 4 of 6 on the road, don't see them getting points at ND, and like UVm, 4 of their 6 are against other teams in the 6-11 positions so any points they do get are points those other teams do not get.
#11 Merrimack has 2 v BC who will be battling for Reg Season title in HE, and they play Maine and UNH as well... so if one if getting points, the other is not getting points.
#12 UMass will finish 12th

We all know your deepest desire is UConn to go 0-for the rest of the season (you'd rather be able to say you were "right" and see UConn fail, as opposed to having to admit you were "wrong" and have UConn succeed). We get it though, you had a tough weekend w/ Holy Cross getting a tie and a loss v bottom third of the standings Army.

Reaction Score
chnews11:16am via CHN Blog
New post: Projecting the Final Hockey East Standings Using KRACH
http://blog.collegehockeynews.com/2016/02/projecting-the-final-hockey-east-standings-using-krach/

Details in article:
Screen-Shot-2016-02-08-at-10.56.29-AM.png

Reaction Score

#1 BC - bye
#2 ND - bye
#3 PC - bye
#4 BU - bye
#7 UConn v. #10 Maine
#8 UNH v. #9 Vermont

First off I appreciate your effort in posting the possible playoff match ups. Secondly I like your passion and thirdly all your logic seems to make sense now. Hopefully your right on if anything I'm thinking now we can finish 9-10 instead on 10-11.

Reaction Score
Remember when Hockeyfraud44 shared with us that he and his friend thought it was possible we might lose 8 straight to close out the season?
We are 1-0-1 since that claim.

Reaction Score
UConn is a better team than UMass and Maine without issue. Probably better in the long-term than Merrimack (with Nichols in net they are easily) notwithstanding the result at Lawler since that rink shouldn't even be allowed for competition in HE. UConn has four winnable games and two tough ones. A 7-9 spot finish seems about right.

Reaction Score
Remember when Hockeyfraud44 shared with us that he and his friend thought it was possible we might lose 8 straight to close out the season?
We are 1-0-1 since that claim.
Actually UCONN should be 2-0-0 right now unfortunately Cavanaugh was out coached by the Merrimack coach more specifically in the last 1:30 left in the 3rd period when Merrimack scored to tie the game. Cavanaugh did not match up his lines properly during this ice time and it caused UCONN to tie the game instead of win it. These are not my words only these are words from many hockey people who watched the game.

Reaction Score
UConn is a better team than UMass and Maine without issue. Probably better in the long-term than Merrimack (with Nichols in net they are easily) notwithstanding the result at Lawler since that rink shouldn't even be allowed for competition in HE. UConn has four winnable games and two tough ones. A 7-9 spot finish seems about right.
UCONN doesn't weaken to much without Nichols in net if they weaken at all. Creels numbers are pretty similar to Nichols if not better (granted Nichols has played ton more of minutes). Creel seems alot calmer in net than Nichols .....

Reaction Score
UCONN doesn't weaken to much without Nichols in net if they weaken at all. Creels numbers are pretty similar to Nichols if not better (granted Nichols has played ton more of minutes). Creel seems alot calmer in net than Nichols .....

Aren't you the one who faulted the staff in their recruiting/planning and said they didn't have the foresight to bring in another starting D1 caliber goalie?

Reaction Score
Aren't you the one who faulted the staff in their recruiting/planning and said they didn't have the foresight to bring in another starting D1 caliber goalie?
I absolutely did the young lad has done a admirable job of playing 2-3 games this year but is he capable of playing every game? Time will tell but I'm rooting for the kid and UCONN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom