UConn WSOC - 2016 NCAA Tournament | The Boneyard

UConn WSOC - 2016 NCAA Tournament

Reaction Score
As expected, Memphis and SMU also made the tournament for a total of three AAC teams.

Looks like after the opening round (assuming UConn wins) that UConn will be heading to Gainesville for possible games against Auburn and Florida.

Reaction Score
According to this tweet, the Albany at UConn game is scheduled for Saturday at 6pm. I haven't seen it verified anywhere else yet.

Chris Henderson
@chris_awk

When is your NCAA bound team playing? All times below listed are EST. pic.twitter.com/pbjDys1CDi
4:48 PM - 7 Nov 2016
Cws2yJoXEAApvAp.jpg:small

Twitter
By: Chris Henderson @chris_awk

Reaction Score
Women's soccer writer Chris Henderson has an article out on his reaction to the NCAA women's soccer bracket. Here's what he has to say about the Huskies:

UConn lost out on a national seed despite winning the AAC title and AAC Tournament, but things could have been far worse for the Huskies, as they’ve ended up in a quadrant that looks quite inviting on paper. If they can brush aside Albany, the likes of Auburn and Florida, though seeded, have both had defensive issues this season. The Tigers come into the NCAAs having shipped ten goals in six games, while Florida has also had some defensive issues intermittently. That could be music to the ears of a team with Stephanie Ribeiro and Rachel Hill ruling the roost in attack.

2016 D1 Women's Soccer Tournament Bracket and Rapid Reaction

Reaction Score
Albany game. UConn takes a very early 1-0 lead on a goal that was not scored by either Ribeiro or Hill. Alexa Casimiro nets her second goal of the year. So she joins Ribeiro and Hill as the Huskies only multi goal scorers on the year.

Reaction Score
Ribeiro quickly follows with her 21st goal to make it 2-0 UConn.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Gooooooooooooooooooooalll Rachel Hill. 3-1 dogs....

Reaction Score
4-1 UConn late in the second half. Maddie Damm with her second goal of the season.

Reaction Score
Albany picks up a late goal. Final score 4-2 for a Husky win. UConn to play Auburn next Friday in round two of the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
Women's soccer analyst Chris Henderson's on the Gainesville regional:

Previewing Round 2 of the D1 Women's Soccer Tournament

His brief writeup on the Huskies:

"UConn is probably the strongest unseeded team in the competition and got tossed into a regional that is more than doable if they’re clicking on all cylinders. At the same time, they’re a pretty ordinary team beyond their two forwards, and that tends to catch up to teams at this time of year."

I'm inclined to agree with this, although I would throw goalkeeper Emily Armstrong in with Hill and Ribeiro as the strength of the team. At any rate, Hill, Ribeiro, and Armstrong are going to need plenty of help from the rest of the Huskies to advance beyond this weekend.

Reaction Score
Maddie Damm scores in the opening minute for UConn to make it 1-0. Auburn quickly ties it up to make it 1-1.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Late in the first half Auburn scores off a corner kick to make it 2-1 in favor of the Tigers. UConn has had trouble defending corners all season.

Reaction Score
Big trouble, Auburn follows it up with another goal to make it 3-1.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This is pretty much hopeless at this point. 11 minutes left, down 4 -1, and Auburn content with absorbing the pressure. We can't seem to get quality abide into the forwards either.

Let's hope for a miracle...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Yeah, tough indeed.

I want to take this chance to congratulate both the women's soccer and field hockey teams on great seasons. They made Husky Nation very proud...

Reaction Score
I can't say I was terribly surprised with women's soccer losing today, as they won several games during the year while being outplayed on the field during AAC games. Luck like that doesn't last forever, especially against seeded teams in the NCAA tournament. From watching and following this team all season I never really thought the team would go deep into the tournament. Still, the combination of Ribeiro and Hill and their scoring exploits and having Armstrong in goal made for a memorable year, and the team winning both the regular season and conference tournament championships is certainly what we look for. As for next year, without Hill, Ribeiro and Armstrong, this team looks like it is in for a major rebuilding job.

Reaction Score
I can't say I was terribly surprised with women's soccer losing today, as they won several games during the year while being outplayed on the field during AAC games. Luck like that doesn't last forever, especially against seeded teams in the NCAA tournament. From watching and following this team all season I never really thought the team would go deep into the tournament. Still, the combination of Ribeiro and Hill and their scoring exploits and having Armstrong in goal made for a memorable year, and the team winning both the regular season and conference tournament championships is certainly what we look for. As for next year, without Hill, Ribeiro and Armstrong, this team looks like it is in for a major rebuilding job.

Against the 3 Power 5 teams they played this year in 22 games, they lost by a combined score 9-1. Pretty telling. Feasted on unranked regional and AAC teams. Got manhandled vs the good teams. I believe that's what we call a mid major,

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom