UConn Will Offer Enhanced Athletic Scholarships In Fall | The Boneyard

UConn Will Offer Enhanced Athletic Scholarships In Fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-uconn-full-cost-attendance-0131-20150130-story.html

>>All students on a full athletic scholarship will receive these "full-cost-of-attendance" scholarships, which are expected to cost the athletic department an additional $1 million to $1.5 million annually. The increase in aid for each student-athlete will range from $3,000 to $4,000, depending on whether they are in-state or out-of-state. The stipends are designed to cover costs outside of tuition, books, room, and board, and make up for money athletes miss out on because they can't get a part-time job like other students.<<

>>It is a direct response to a recent change in the NCAA Division I governing structure that grants increased autonomy to the Power Five conferences, allowing them to create some of their own rules – specifically those related to student-athlete welfare issues. Full-cost-of-attendance scholarships were approved in one of the first votes by the major conferences.<<

>>"The NCAA is very clear on what schools are allowed to provide to student-athletes and what they can't provide," said UConn athletic director Warde Manuel. "UConn, like most of our counterparts, has tried historically to give our student-athletes everything that is permissible for them to achieve success academically and athletically. The NCAA now recognizes that a full-cost-of-attendance scholarship will allow student-athletes the total experience of being a college student. We support this change and are currently studying different strategies to implement exactly how we will provide stipends."<<

Reaction Score
Herbst and Manuel have both said from the beginning that they were in favor of this and would provide it if allowed by the NCAA. Nice to see they have followed through with this. I notice it was worded as a "student athlete on FULL athletic scholarship" , IMHO teams like baseball where scholarships are split won't be eligible for this program.

Reaction Score
Herbst and Manuel have both said from the beginning that they were in favor of this and would provide it if allowed by the NCAA. Nice to see they have followed through with this. I notice it was worded as a "student athlete on FULL athletic scholarship" , IMHO teams like baseball where scholarships are split won't be eligible for this program.

Gotta start somewhere...

Reaction Score
100% agree...I wouldn't be surprised if P5 schools do this as well.
They have already done this, dictating it to the NCAA, that is where it started. On another note...
" We support this change and are currently studying different strategies to implement exactly how we will provide stipends."
Meaning ...
We are going to try and run with the big dogs but have to figure out how to pay for it...Let the beeotching, moaning, screaming, wailing, chest thumping, growling, howling and down right pizzed off taxpayer complaining begin.

Reaction Score
They have already done this, dictating it to the NCAA, that is where it started.

You missed FDNY99's previous point - ""I notice it was worded as a "student athlete on FULL athletic scholarship" , IMHO teams like baseball where scholarships are split won't be eligible for this program.""

Reaction Score
"The increase in aid for each student-athlete will range from $3,000 to $4,000"
Isn't this a paycut in the SEC?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
You have to keep up with the big boys to stay relevant

Reaction Score
While there are many arguments against it as athletes who qualify financially receive Pell grants, kids receive about 200K in full ride scholarship, etc., but we have to do this if we want to stay relevant athletically for the long term, which as a flagship state university with a rising profile we must do this to compete. Glad we announced it before signing day as it shows commitment to recruits/commits.

Question, was there a conference announcement that the American is doing it as might have missed it, but do not remembering see it announced. In past Aresco said conference would follow suit if it happened, but do not remember seeing anything since formally announced by p5 week or two ago. If the announcement was not been made hope it is not because some members want to opt out as that would not be good if all conference members are not committed to aspiring to compete at highest level.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Not sure if American has announced anything as a conference as I believe it's a school by school decision but a few schools already had said they will offer it:

Houston - http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...e-steps-for-national-relevancy-6036085.php#/0

That's about all I found in terms of schools openly saying it. A few articles I found said that schools within the conference have pledged to follow suit and support FCOA.

We'll see.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Nice headline, but I'm certain Wake Forests full cost of attendance will be worth more to a recruit than UConn's. And, every recruit will have a list of what each offer is worth as it relates to cash in their pocket.

Glad that Uconn is still swinging but this is a net loss of ground in the competition for equal status. Need to be P5 within 5 years or the AD is doomed the minute they can't fund it at this level any longer.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Fixed your link... it's a good read (meant to post last week). Houston is going all in.
Thanks. Yeah I read the article and they are 100% in on this race to the final few P5 spots. Sounds like they are completely revamping their athletic facilities and making themselves look like the prettiest girl at the dance. Unfortunately, they are in Texas and vying for a spot in the Big 12 which is chock full of Texas schools that probably don't wanna another in-state team joining.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
This will turn into a Title IX issue. Mark my words.

On the surface, it seems like a tactic to keep up in football, but do you really think the girls field hockey team is going to complain about their stipends?

Reaction Score
On the surface, it seems like a tactic to keep up in football, but do you really think the girls field hockey team is going to complain about their stipends?
yup...its only a matter of time.

Reaction Score
East Carolina commits to full COA for all SAs. FB, MBB & WBB fully covered Aug 1, others partially now, full by 2016:
http://www.reflector.com/sports/ecu/ecu-adopts-plan-fund-athletes-2847471

>>>In it, members of the ECU football team and men’s and women’s basketball teams will have their entire cost of attendance paid for by the university beginning Aug. 1.

All of the school’s 19 teams will get some benefit beginning then, but the long-term goal is to have all teams fully funded by the start of the 2016 sports calendar.

The NCAA voted to increase the value of scholarships for institutions in the Power Five (Atlantic Coast, Big 12, Big Ten, Pacific-12 and Southeastern conferences) in January, but it does not require the remainder of Division I schools to distribute the additional stipend, which in ECU’s case amounts to an allowance of $4,025 on top of traditional annual scholarship funds.<<

Reaction Score
If it's a "nightmare" for Dabo and Clemson imagine what HCBD and the staff are facing?

Dabo Swinney: Cost of attendance is 'a nightmare' in recruiting

>>There’s no question it’s not a level playing field, and it is going to be the No. 1 topic at all the coaches meetings, because it’s not good. The intent is good, but for one school to be able to pay $3-4,000 more than another school, at the end of the day, guys are going to make decisions for the wrong reasons. It shouldn’t be that way.<<

No sheet....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger