"UConn welcomes gay hockey players" | The Boneyard

"UConn welcomes gay hockey players"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As someone who lives on the west coast (San Francisco, no less), I am impressed with the guys on the hockey team and pleased this story comes out of a New England school that happens to be the home of my favorite women's basketball team. I haven't heard of this kind of team-wide public support from any school here in California, though I would guess there are a number of teams here for whom this would absolutely not be an issue - especially the lower profile schools / sports. This speaks volumes for the progress that's been made.

LINK

JS

Reaction Score
I am impressed with the guys on the hockey team
LINK
Good for them.

You know what? Prejudice will never be erased.

But as acceptance and welcome spreads into more and more activities, including those conducted by social, commercial, religious, political and athletic organizations, prejudice will be backed into an ever smaller and darker corner.

A publicized welcome by leaders in these fields encourages others by their example. Great to see a group of UConn athletes assume that kind of leadership role.

They didn't have to do this, nor were they put up to it by the athletics staff. They're prepared to walk the walk. Kudos to them.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting this. I think it is a great reflection on the team and the Uconn cmmunity. I also think it is a great initiative, and hope the Uconn teams commitment to it brings more attention and leads to a lot of other teams joining.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
As someone who lives on the west coast (San Francisco, no less), I am impressed with the guys on the hockey team and pleased this story comes out of a New England school that happens to be the home of my favorite women's basketball team. I haven't heard of this kind of team-wide public support from any school here in California, though I would guess there are a number of teams here for whom this would absolutely not be an issue - especially the lower profile schools / sports. This speaks volumes for the progress that's been made.

LINK

I love this school.. So proud of my Huskies.. I can't wait to be one

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
For being the "Land of Steady Habits", Connecticut has proven itself, in its characteristically low-key way, admirably ahead of the curve and adaptable to the precepts of social inclusiveness and justice for all.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
For being the "Land of Steady Habits", Connecticut has proven itself, in its characteristically low-key way, admirably ahead of the curve and adaptable to the precepts of social inclusiveness and justice for all.

I'm so proud to say that this is where I'm from. I may live 3,000 miles away, but being so far away has truly shown me what a great place Connecticut is. I'm so proud of UConn and this hockey team for taking this incredibly brave step.

Reaction Score
Back when the drinking age was 18 in the early 70s, the campus beer-hall had a weekly Gay & Lesbian night. I was in the student government and used to talk with lots of special interest groups. The folks who were at the Rathskeller on Gay/Lesbian/BI nights (I don't think Transgendered was an issue then) didn't seem any different from anyone else. Someone would complain that his boyfriend always left dirty dishes in the sink. Someone else would complain that her girlfriend was always flirting with other women.

UConn was a pretty tolerant place even then, and I'm delighted to hear it still is.

As a long-time lurker, I've neglected to thank all of you for something else. I know that we don't all always agree politically, but almost every post I've seen on hot-button topics like the Pledge and bullying are very thoughtful and civil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom