UConn vs. Hartford | The Boneyard

UConn vs. Hartford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConnBaseball 2:13pm via TweetDeck
#UConn has arrived at Fiondella Field for today's contest with Hartford. Live stats: sidearmstats.com/hartford/baseb… Audio: WHUS.org

First pitch in W. Hartford is set for 3 p.m. Andrew Zapata (1-1, 1.33 ERA) will take the ball for #UConn, making his third start. #BleedBlue

Sundberg - CF
Daniello - 3B
Siena - 2B
Davey - RF
Melley - 1B
Yavarone - LF
Sullivan - DH
McDowell - C
Hill - SS
Zapata - P

Last edited:
Reaction Score
3-2 loss by walking in the winning run to a .077 batter.
Offense ineffective again.

Reaction Score
What would you guys do at this point in these situations?
Top of the 7th, lead off walk and Siena coming up down one?
UConn bunts Siena and they get the lead runner. At this point its such a hard call because your taking the bat out of one of your best hitters hands but you want to get the tying run in scoring position. Trouble is they have such a hard time getting any offense you hate to lose the out. I think they should try a little more hit and run. The steal seems to not be working this year as effectively either. Not sure what they need to do at this point.
I do however think we still need to take more pitches in certain scenarios. For example, top of the 9th, man on first 2 outs and a 3-0 count to Daniello. He does take one strike but I would have had him take 2. Walks are as good as hits and a walk here puts the go ahead run on second with Siena coming up. Instead he swings and grounds out. They have and I know will always be an aggressive team at the plate.

Reaction Score
U got to let Siena hit. U cannot take the bat out of the hands of your best hitter. The call on whether or not to take pitch on 3-1 count is hard....but think I would trust daniello to at least put ball in play with two strikes on him. Most of the other hitters likely would not.

We are what we are at this point. Solid pitching, mediocre fielding and a soft offense. Too many teams like lipscomb and uhart have shut this offense down to be anything but a little discouraged heading into a winnable stretch of games

Reaction Score
Pffftt....

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/032514aaa.html

Game Notes
- Vinny Siena recorded his seventh multi-hit game of the season, and third in his last five games. Siena has hit safely in 17 of his 20 games this season.
- Siena also stole two bases, the second time in his career he has recorded multiple steals in a game.
- Andrew Zapata allowed five hits in 6.1 innings pitched and is holding opponents to a .167 average against in 26.2 innings this season
- Bobby Melley’s RBI was his team-high 14th of the season.

Up next, UConn takes on Central Connecticut State tomorrow afternoon. The game is scheduled to be played at J.O. Christian Field in Storrs, but stay tuned to UConnHuskies.com for potential changes.

Reaction Score
What would you guys do at this point in these situations?
Top of the 7th, lead off walk and Siena coming up down one?
UConn bunts Siena and they get the lead runner. At this point its such a hard call because your taking the bat out of one of your best hitters hands but you want to get the tying run in scoring position. Trouble is they have such a hard time getting any offense you hate to lose the out. I think they should try a little more hit and run. The steal seems to not be working this year as effectively either. Not sure what they need to do at this point.
I do however think we still need to take more pitches in certain scenarios. For example, top of the 9th, man on first 2 outs and a 3-0 count to Daniello. He does take one strike but I would have had him take 2. Walks are as good as hits and a walk here puts the go ahead run on second with Siena coming up. Instead he swings and grounds out. They have and I know will always be an aggressive team at the plate.

I would never give a take sign to a batter with one strike. Batting averages really tumble once a batter has two strikes.

Reaction Score
U
I would never give a take sign to a batter with one strike. Batting averages really tumble once a batter has two strikes.

Unless you have a pitcher struggling with his control or unless you have a hitter who is not disciplined and chases pitches. That pitch on a 3-1 count better be a belt high fastball otherwise the bat stays on the batter's shoulder. An aggressive team at the plate works only if you have good hitters. UConn has good pitchers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom