Uconn vs. BC... next year??? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Uconn vs. BC... next year???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, this is where using our position (helping BC out of a hole) in the negotiation comes into play. From what I understand we wouldn't be giving up the UMass road game, we'd be moving it to another season. BC needs help filling out their schedule so they're (theoretically) coming to us for help. It's not an outrageous request to say the game has to be one-off split gate at Gillette or a home and home. Taking one game at Chestnut Hill would be essentially using no bargaining power whatsoever.

I would not take a one off road game at Alumni, but why i the world woud you even raise the possibility of us doing that? Nothing in Blads article implies that. Of course we wouldn't do that. But that's not the same as swapping a date at UMASS for a date at BC.

In response to others, and assuming my assumption is correct, we don't have material leverage here. BC doesn't need to swap UMASS for us -- they would like to. And they know we have no reason to say no. That's not real leverage.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Wow - there is a LOT of internal venom and internet muscles...

Perfect Hair starting to crack under the possibilities of a 4-8 season?

Reaction Score
I would not take a one off road game at Alumni, but why i the world woud you even raise the possibility of us doing that? Nothing in Blads article implies that. Of course we wouldn't do that.

In response to others, and assuming my assumption is correct, we don't have material leverage here. BC doesn't need to swap UMASS for us -- they would like to. And they know we have no reason to say no. That's not real leverage.
I'm not implying that we take a one-off game at Alumni, I'm suggesting we offer a one-off neutral game at Gillette with 50/50 gate.

Reaction Score
If you knew how laughable it is to quote the Boston Globe, especially an editorial, you would be smart enough not to do it. But you don't and you aren't.

People quote the dude of west virginia and more anonymous sources here. Calling someone not smart for quoting the Boston Globe makes you look like more than a little bit of an idiot.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
UMass is not Notre Dame, Penn State, or Michigan either. We don't have any leverage to dictate terms. UConnFB is still poorly ranked in FBS standings. So we'd rather beat a team a few years removed from FCS, as opposed to a P-5 team?

Really? Does anyone think UMass/UConn has a remote chance of exciting casual FB fans.even in New England?

A win over UMass does not improve UConn's resume. There is still a chance UConn can loose to UMass.

I say beat BC and let them come crawling to us for future contests. Then we have some leverage.

They will never come crawling. A single game under undignified terms will not change the fate of UConn football. We have plenty of P5 games on the calendar. BC almost singly handily destroyed this program and so, because of this bitter history, there is good reason not to give them what they want if its a one off game at Chestnut Hill.

Reaction Score
I'm not implying that we take a one-off game at Alumni, I'm suggesting we offer a one-off neutral game at Gillette with 50/50 gate.

Right, but that ignores the only reason BC is looking at us in the first place, which is they need a sixth game at home in '16 against an opponent that wouldn't deter people from buying season tickets.

Reaction Score

No, it's a sign that cool heads with little emotional connection to the last 10-12 years of abject b.s. are coming together and trying to make sense of nonsense. (Please note that I do not qualify as one of those cool heads.)

Reaction Score
No, it's a sign that cool heads with little emotional connection to the last 10-12 years of abject b.s. are coming together and trying to make sense of nonsense. (Please note that I do not qualify as one of those cool heads.)

That I agree with.

Reaction Score
I disagree. Would I sign a deal with BC just to play at Chestnut Hill. No, but that's not really what is going on here. Would I give up a road game I've already committed to with UMASS and substitute it for a road game at BC (remembering I've already then gotten UMass to the Rent) -- why wouldn't I?

That's the choice. WE have an existing deal that gives us a road game in MA. Why wouldn't we rather be at BC than UMASS at Foxboro? Just out of spite?
Is there not any additional leverage here to get something else from BC at a later date? we'd be doing BC a favor in that their schedule is somewhat lacking. Unless there are other schools that could easily step in, I think we could try to 'finagle' another game down the road (neutral or home).

Reaction Score
No way are we playing that game @BCU. If we are helping them out of their scheduling problem, we are playing this game at a neutral site (Foxboro) with a 50/50 split at the gate. Otherwise screw 'em.

Reaction Score
No way are we playing that game @BCU. If we are helping them out of their scheduling problem, we are playing this game at a neutral site (Foxboro) with a 50/50 split at the gate. Otherwise screw 'em.
If they offer us a game at BC next year and a return game at Rentschler, signed and on the books, we accept that in a heartbeat. A neutral game would be great also, but a home and home is even better.

Reaction Score
If they offer us a game at BC next year and a return game at Rentschler, signed and on the books, we accept that in a heartbeat. A neutral game would be great also, but a home and home is even better.

Right, but I'm pretty sure that what was being discussed was a one-off game, and the only way that happens is at a neutral field. If they sign on for a home and home, sure that's totally fine

Reaction Score
We wouldn't have to be. All we have to be is at least 33,500 strong. We get those crowds at the Rent for games against meh opponents. If we can't bring something close to 30K to Gillette for a game that every single UConn fan has salivated over for a decade, then we deserve our AAC sentence.

If this is a weekend game I go with 10+

Salzano14

Deep in enemy territory
Reaction Score
Howdy. I come in peace.

There is no way BC would be asking for a one off at Alumni. I would be stunned if it was even brought up. I'm one of the growing number of BC fans that thinks it's mutually beneficial for us to set up games with UConn and the hate I have for your program (and the fact that that little blurb is our highest-trafficked post of the day, and UConn posts always are, whether our fans hate it or love it) is why it needs to happen.

Reaction Score
Howdy. I come in peace.

There is no way BC would be asking for a one off at Alumni. I would be stunned if it was even brought up. I'm one of the growing number of BC fans that thinks it's mutually beneficial for us to set up games with UConn and the hate I have for your program (and the fact that that little blurb is our highest-trafficked post of the day, and UConn posts always are, whether our fans hate it or love it) is why it needs to happen.
You're back!

I agree, there have been absolutely no indications that this was a proposal of one game at Alumni and that being it. Heck, Brad Bates explicitly said he liked the idea of UConn, BC, and UMass regularly playing one another.

Reaction Score
Howdy. I come in peace.

Welcome back. The 'rivalry' between BC and UConn is still there even if the football teams do not participate. Both schools are very good academic intuitions who also happen to be 2 of the 3 New England colleges offering D1 sports across the board. Thus, both schools are drawing from the same high school populations and classmates, after they go their separate ways for college, want to beat their old friends whether it be on the field, in the classroom, or in the back of the bar playing beer pong. It's human nature. Sprinkle in continued olympic sport (soccer, field hockey, baseball, etc.) matches against each other and now elite hockey and the rivalry is still there simmering beyond the mainstream media. It just needs and opportunity and for the powers to be to get their heads out of their collective arses.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'd probably be more excited for a BC game than just about any other team that could be on our schedule.

2016 at their house.
TBD future date at The Rent.
No neutral site.

I'm all for 1 offs against the big boys and even neutral sites against the big boys.

Not for peer regional opponents.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The fact that there's dialogue is a good thing. Do the thing that helps us most get out of this hellhole. Everything UConn does should be with that in mind, even if it involves kissing BCs ass and a one sided deal. Don't know if that's the case in this situation... But IF their support would help down the road with the ACC... Survival will always justify the means.

That said I'd enjoy the game/s wherever they may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom