UConn vs Alabama-Huntsville, 10/7-10/8 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn vs Alabama-Huntsville, 10/7-10/8

Reaction Score
Probably 4,000+ for the AIC game then after that it'll pick up since we don't play again til 18th of November. People stay home when baseball is still being played for some reason but it was thinner then usual I'll admit. Not to make excuses though but UAH is probably the worst opponent optics wise you could come up with. At least last year Arizona State has some name recognition to sports fans.

As for the performance this was the most impressive 2 games I've seen from this team and it was an amazing showing. A couple penalties on us were bullshitski today but we competed and won most 1v1 battles and were very evasive behind the net in both games. Defense did a good job of funneling to the outside, and giving up maybe one chance then cleanly exiting zone without any panicking. Not much to say about Nichols he was just a beast. Newpower was great (shielded the puck well), Pratt was very responsible, we took the body when we needed too and backed off at the appropriate times. D overall did a good job of getting the puck through and also holding the blueline. Honestly loved what I saw.

Naas will emerge as our 3rd scoring threat and Payusov seemed to have good chemistry with Tage and Letunov. Brian Morgan definitely appeared to be a grizzled vet of Hockey East, Ronan is still a spark plug and Ojantakanen did alright. Evan Richardson finally contributed at the level we expected coming in when he transferred.

I think the only one that didn't have a good weekend was Schwartz, which could explain why he sat out the 2nd game.
4000 for AIC? No way! I'm with @mac2351 around 3000. Honestly I was disappointed in the attendance. Benedict and Cegles sat across the aisle from us..he looked around a few times and shook his head. Thought the team played well...definitely noticed the strength, speed, size difference from last year. I like Newpower too, but definitely saw some freshman mistakes...and his conditioning compared to the upperclassmen was definitely noticeable when he came back to the bench. It will be fun to watch his game grow as the season goes on. He skates very well for a kid with his size.

Reaction Score
4000 for AIC? No way! I'm with @mac2351 around 3000. Honestly I was disappointed in the attendance. Benedict and Cegles sat across the aisle from us..he looked around a few times and shook his head. Thought the team played well...definitely noticed the strength, speed, size difference from last year. I like Newpower too, but definitely saw some freshman mistakes...and his conditioning compared to the upperclassmen was definitely noticeable when he came back to the bench. It will be fun to watch his game grow as the season goes on. He skates very well for a kid with his size.
I heard Huska ask someone about the small size of the crowd.

I thought it was odd he was sitting by himself for the first period.

Reaction Score
Benedict and Cegles sat across the aisle from us..he looked around a few times and shook his head.
UConn is aiming for Big Ten/SEC culture. The school has a long way to go in achieving that. Today was also a football game. Benedict was probably hoping some football fans would come over. I probably would have done the doubleheader myself had I been more easily able to do so.

Reaction Score
UConn is aiming for Big Ten/SEC culture. The school has a long way to go in achieving that. Today was also a football game. Benedict was probably hoping some football fans would come over. I probably would have done the doubleheader myself had I been more easily able to do so.
Having been at both games I'm sure some of that head shaking was the football attendance number as well.

Reaction Score
The one the thing the program should promote is the NHL draft picks on the team. Promote Letunov, Thompson, Masonius, Gendron, Drake, Huska.

Denote they are draft picks on the program they hand out. Promote them. At the arena, there is no reference of these players being drafted

Sure, it looks like you are playing favorites but you are trying to build a program and a fan base. Let people know there are quality players and future pros on the team.

Casual fans most likely have no idea these players are drafted.

Reaction Score
The one the thing the program should promote is the NHL draft picks on the team. Promote Letunov, Thompson, Masonius, Gendron, Drake, Huska.

Denote they are draft picks on the program they hand out. Promote them.

Sure, it looks like you are playing favorites but you are trying to build a program and a fan base. Let people know there are quality players and future pros on the team.

Casual fans most likely have no idea these players are drafted.
They should hand out the line-up cards that are posted on twitter by the official team account and the beat guys. Next to each kid who is a NHL draft pick is the team who owns his rights.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. I've always wondered why they don't. I'm sure it has to do with the amount of time it would take to print that many copies and how late the lineups are actually handed out to the media.

Reaction Score
Having been at both games I'm sure some of that head shaking was the football attendance number as well.
The football game announced 24K. Closer to 15K would be more like it. Helluva game though. More fun than I have had at a FB game in a long while. The coordinators completely changed their philosophies. On D they even blitzed!!

Reaction Score
I went to all three. Football, hockey, and soccer. All wins!!!

The problem is that only ST holders knew about the "bring football ticket to get free hockey or soccer ticket"
I remember I was on the rentschler flyer and people on the bus had no idea of the promotion. The announcer at the football game should have promoted it. I got at least one couple to go the hockey game.

I was somewhat upset at the crowd amount for a fri/sat. Oh well. Let's hope they get some more. At least it didn't go below 3k.

Reaction Score
Yea I'm sticking to 4,000+ but again to allude to my earlier point UConn does a terrible job of promoting the team. We shut out an opponent 10-0 in a weekend series and not one mention on the main UConn FB page. And also like I said they don't update the UConn Hockey FB page timely. Tbh I think they promote the Women's Volleyball more heavily.

Reaction Score
First game was over 3,000 but tonight was under 3k (probably around 2,800). I won't sugar coat. It was disappointing but hockey in Hartford is not a good draw until it gets colder, that's a fact.

Reaction Score
Yea I'm sticking to 4,000+ but again to allude to my earlier point UConn does a terrible job of promoting the team. We shut out an opponent 10-0 in a weekend series and not one mention on the main UConn FB page. And also like I said they don't update the UConn Hockey FB page timely. Tbh I think they promote the Women's Volleyball more heavily.
Highly doubt it....

Reaction Score
First game was over 3,000 but tonight was under 3k (probably around 2,800). I won't sugar coat. It was disappointing but hockey in Hartford is not a good draw until it gets colder, that's a fact.
Tonight was DEFINITELY under 3K! Stop making excuses about the attendance this weekend. It is what it is. Big games will sell out and the others won't.

Reaction Score
The football game announced 24K. Closer to 15K would be more like it. Helluva game though. More fun than I have had at a FB game in a long while. The coordinators completely changed their philosophies. On D they even blitzed!!
Problem with the football attendance is that until they close off the mezzanine and force people into their seats you really don't know how many are really there. It is an acknowledged problem by the architect that was remedied in future designs like the one they did for the University of Minnesota.

Reaction Score
Problem with the football attendance is that until they close off the mezzanine and force people into their seats you really don't know how many are really there. It is an acknowledged problem by the architect that was remedied in future designs like the one they did for the University of Minnesota.
I do not understand your point. Have watched two or three games from a mezzanine or suite. Btw, I much prefer being outside despite the fact that the food is good.

Reaction Score
I do not understand your point. Have watched two or three games from a mezzanine or suite. Btw, I much prefer being outside despite the fact that the food is good.
When you walk around the concourse you can see the field from pretty much anywhere. Do yourself a favor and if you go down to get any concessions or use the bathroom during the game look at how many people are watching the game and not sitting in their seat. Also look across from where you sit to the opposite side of the field..look at how full the openings are between the columns on the concourse level and then look at the number standing in the end zone by the scoreboard. That's what I'm talking about...you can't just go by who you see sitting in their seat because a LOT of people don't.

Reaction Score
Yup, same for international soccer which I use to calibrate the attendence with how full the stadium looks. We know that UConn does not provide a ticket reader or turnstyle count. Soccer does.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I have been preaching this for several years. I even pointed this out to a few at the Navy game. Somewhat similar in design but closed off underneath.

Reaction Score
Close off the concourses? Never happen. They make too much money.

Reaction Score
Tonight was DEFINITELY under 3K! Stop making excuses about the attendance this weekend. It is what it is. Big games will sell out and the others won't.

Umm what are you talking about I said exactly that. lol. You don't always need to pick a fight especially when it's in your head. Maybe you're confusing yourself because I said attendance will be over 4,000 for AIC on the 21st?

Reaction Score
Highly doubt it....

So you agree with no mention of the weekend sweep on the main page? You think they're doing the best they can? It's glaringly obvious they treat hockey as if it's not a major 4 sport.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Umm what are you talking about I said exactly that. lol. You don't always need to pick a fight especially when it's in your head. Maybe you're confusing yourself because I said attendance will be over 4,000 for AIC on the 21st?
Nope just responding to your moronic comment about attendance for hockey in Hartford coinciding with it being cold out. Put me on ignore if you don't like what I have to say.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom