UConn-Villanova postgame | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn-Villanova postgame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would agree with that. Geno talks about wanting to get production from more people but at times does not seem willing to give them a chance to produce.
I usually am with him 100%. Heck there are times Hurley does things I question. In the past Calhoun. Definitely Perno. But in this case, I thought why not play Q more and give Ashlynn and KK a break? How much better were they than what Q could have provided?

Heck I sort of understood why Ice didn't play much. I will say though Q sometimes just seems "out there."-- as many freshmen are ofc. When she took that shot from the corner- a 3- and imo (and Meg remarked) she should have passed it out to run down the clock, that's probably a concern. While she has to play to learn - on the flipside if she shows she does it often - how much can you risk giving her (or any player) that much more time if they aren't able to recognize some things that you aren't sure they will pick up when the pressure goes up 10-fold?

It's easy for me - haha. I've never lost one game sitting on couch.

Reaction Score
I would agree with that. Geno talks about wanting to get production from more people but at times does not seem willing to give them a chance to produce.
We only see half the picture, Geno sees the whole picture and rightly so because he’s the coach. Games, practice, team meetings, etc

Reaction Score
I know you are angry with me - I'm sorry about that - we agree on a lot of stuff over the years- but in the Nova game and overall why Ines over Q and Brady? If Q got 14 minutes, why not play her more? Overall the team lacks height and / or rebounding. They can use the size that Brady brings and the athletcism that Q brings. Unless you or anyone thinks Ines is better than them? I know Ines has some good qualiites but is she going to help more than what Brady and Q bring vs what the team already has?

In this game vs Nova why would you have played Ines over Q? The minutes you give Q- the more minutes others can rest.
And why not Brady more? The same with Brady - the more minutes you give her, others can rest.

I can't see why Q and Brady didn't get more minutes over Ines. I'm hoping this doesn't make me a bad guy. We heard Geno speak of the Offense too- well aren't both Q and Brady better Offensively? SO why not play the better bench players that are combo better for athletcicism/rebounding/height and Offense?

WHy does it have to be Ines vs the two players above who didn't play that much last night?
hoophuskee- - - I am not saying Ines deserves MORE minutes than Ice & Q! Just that she deserves more minutes than she's getting! The only player on the current roster that is definitely out of the loop is Amari!
I really feel Ines could give the G's a rest as Ice gives Aaliyah a rest as Q gives the W's and SG's a rest! I feel the 3 of them could somehow give the starters some bench time to save their legs!
Geno is smart enough to fit those 3 into the scope of things!
It should be an 8 player rotation, how he chooses to do it is why he earns millions of $!
After watching several videos of Ines in the FBIA games for Portugal last summer showed a young lady that had worked very hard to make herself a better player, both mentally and physically and deserves better than she's getting at the present time!
That's my total point!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
hoophuskee- - - I am not saying Ines deserves MORE minutes than Ice & Q! Just that she deserves more minutes than she's getting! The only player on the current roster that is definitely out of the loop is Amari!
I really feel Ines could give the G's a rest as Ice gives Aaliyah a rest as Q gives the W's and SG's a rest! I feel the 3 of them could somehow give the starters some bench time to save their legs!
Geno is smart enough to fit those 3 into the scope of things!
It should be an 8 player rotation, how he chooses to do it is why he earns millions of $!
After watching several videos of Ines in the FBIA games for Portugal last summer showed a young lady that had worked very hard to make herself a better player, both mentally and physically and deserves better than she's getting at the present time!
That's my total point!
Well - we disagree. We usually agree. The problem is that there are 5 wing/guards ahead of her. She is 6th on the Depth Chart. Geno doesn’t need the 6th player on the depth chart. If she was a post, that would be different. For example, when Q comes in to play Wing and Paige remains the PF, you still have Nika, KK, and Ashlyn to play the 1/2 spots. Three players to play 2 positions is fine. So, if you give Q enough minutes then Nika, KK and Ashlynn won't wear down.

And with Brady-, sometimes she replaces AE and other times she can play alongside Edwards which then puts Paige in the mix in the 3 spot but you can also play Q at the SF with AE and Ice which then Paige is helping give Nika, KK, and Ashlynn more rest by having her play the 1/2. So, essentially you can have 4 players play the 1/2 spots. .

Using the Nova game as a barometer, if you gave Q and Brady enough minutes for that specific game, then AE, PB, NM, KK and AS shouldn't wear down. They wouldn't have had to play the many minutes they played.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I usually am with him 100%. Heck there are times Hurley does things I question. In the past Calhoun. Definitely Perno. But in this case, I thought why not play Q more and give Ashlynn and KK a break? How much better were they than what Q could have provided?
Q’s defense has improved quite a bit but she is still behind KK and Ash in that area.

Reaction Score
Well - we disagree. We usually agree. The problem is that there are 5 wing/guards ahead of her. She is 6th on the Depth Chart. Geno doesn’t need the 6th player on the depth chart. If she was a post, that would be different. For example, when Q comes in to play Wing and Paige remains the PF, you still have Nika, KK, and Ashlyn to play the 1/2 spots. Three players to play 2 positions is fine. So, if you give Q enough minutes then Nika, KK and Ashlynn won't wear down.

And with Brady-, sometimes she replaces AE and other times she can play alongside Edwards which then puts Paige in the mix in the 3 spot but you can also play Q at the SF with AE and Ice which then Paige is helping give Nika, KK, and Ashlynn more rest by having her play the 1/2. So, essentially you can have 4 players play the 1/2 spots. .

Using the Nova game as a barometer, if you gave Q and Brady enough minutes for that specific game, then AE, PB, NM, KK and AS shouldn't wear down. They wouldn't have had to play the many minutes they played.
Much of the above chat seemed to flow from a comment that some uconn players were short with many shots. Spent legs?? How that flowed as to who to sub and how many minutes each should play is a natural progression but then, of course, the impact of the game score, timing and other factors are the choices of Geno.

We won, something must have worked after a choppy game with many fouls called. Neither team played racehorse basketball with so many clock stops. They acted as time outs and a Nika injury. In a way, that type of game helped the short bench that we have. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Hard fought game. Nova was playing for their NCAA lives. Bottom line, we have Paige and they didn't. Thumbs down on the refs. Geno should complain to the BE brass.

Oh and held BE leading scorer Lucy Olsen to 6 points on 2-16 shooting. That's some defense!!

Not sure anyone really had a good game save for Paige. At least that's what my eye test said, then you look up and we won by 21. Like I said, hard fought and not pretty. Nova does that to you tho...
Complain to the BE brass? The BE commissioner
A tough, physical game played with a six player rotation. And Q only was in 14 minutes. No telling why Ice stayed on the bench while the starters had to gut it out. Too bad Ines and Amari haven't gotten to the point where they could sub in even for a minute or two here and there to give the starters a blow. It is what it is.
Yes, at this point in the season: "It is what it is".

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Villanova is always a tough matchup, and perhaps the bench will get some time vs Providence on Saturday.

At this point in the season, Geno is looking to prepare for the next challenge, the Big East Tourney. Three games in three days. As much as I would have liked to see more playing time with certain players, his job now is to get the team ready for the BET, and then move onto the NCAAT. Unfortunately, there isn't much, if any time left to let the bench work things out. You lose, you go home.

Reaction Score
Our great defense was the story with many steals. Unfortunately, we did not score off of most of them or pulled up to allow the defense to get set. Our inside shooting was suspect in recent game with the exception of Edwards who was also off for much of the evening. Paige is masterful with her inside moves and playing off of the solid picks of Edwards. Playing forward seems to fit her well.

Hard to see us moving ahead against the better teams with the weak finishes this team is plagued by.
Our three guards produced very few points tonight. Many of their shots are short. Are they tired?
That needs to change soon. We are playing down to the competition rather than to our potential. We need more depth in our scoring to be successful against the top 10 teams.

Some of these games are hard to watch with so many off the ball fouls being called. Your left wondering what happened?
Hard to watch as the refs in trying to control the physicality called fouls way too much, and many times like last night, make horrendous mistakes. The questionable calls - including non-calls - against both teams were disappointing and Val Ackerman, the BE Commissioner, was at the game so one would expect something - anything - to be done about the officiating. It would be hoped that both Geno and Denise Dillon would meet with her post-game to discuss their observations. The caliber of the officials for the BE needs a major upgrade and the fans deserve better.

Reaction Score

"Geno doesn’t need the 6th player on the depth chart". Really?

Reaction Score

hoophuskee- - -Just to finish our discussion, the only way to see if Ines can help the team is by giving her some more minutes and let her play determine her skills!
Who knows she may be a revelation to Geno and YOU, and others!
Then again she may not so what do we lose?
I really feel her skill level has improved enough to be a big help in the tournaments coming up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom