UConn versus #2 Qunnipiac on TV Tuesday Night | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn versus #2 Qunnipiac on TV Tuesday Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thanks for all the info and reports! I couldn't watch or go the game due to work and I'm glad to see this thread. As for the outcome, it sounds like UCONN held their own against a pretty tough opponent.

Reaction Score
I was the loudest person in my section by far. People were looking at me. I was able to take advantage of the quietness and yell at the players. Don't get me wrong, it was nice to see the place packed. I was sitting next to a Providence alum who was cheering for UConn. I couldn't believe it. Him and his friend were saying that the Friars definitely have a more rowdy atmosphere.

Never been to Ingalls. That is my next goal. Also want to go to Northeastern. Historic arena.

Reaction Score
That was a well played college hockey game. UConn was overmatched but played hard and well, and Grogan did a great job. Nice to see a kid who has barely seen the ice for 4 years step up and play so well when he finally gets a chance. UConn was flying around though and diving to stop shots. The Q goalie mad a couple of nice stops, too though, particularly on UConn's first power play of the 3rd. I thought we had the lead there.

As far as the age of players, that is pretty typical in college hockey. Most kids play a few years in a Junior program, before going to college. Pretty rare for a kid, even from one of the power high school programs to go straight to the NCAA these days. Canadians are also a big part of things. A friend of mine who coached at a D3 school always said if they would let him he'd only recruit Canadian because they are so much ahead of the curve. Pecknold though, does have a reputation for recruiting older Canadian kid, even by college hockey standards. One piece I read referred to Quinnipiac's program as a home for 25 year old Canadians. That's a bit of an exaggeration but that was the direction he went to make them competitive quickly.

the other thing about last night was the play of Matt Grogan in goal. Hard to believe that he's spent the past 3 1/2 years essentially watching from the bench. Bartus, the other goalie has started every game until this year's UConn tourney.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It was fun to watch. UConn was clearly over-matched, but played thier hearts out. I thought the play by play guy left a lot to be desired (Coppola was what he was, the color guy typically doesn't have a lot to say until a stoppage in play). Even though it was on TV, I'd refer more detail in the telecast, especially in a college game where the teams play games that are not routinely televised. It flowed more like a baseball game and it was hard to follow who was on which team.

Reaction Score
I think these guys have done a few Quinnipiac games, so they were more or less the Q announcers. I thought the play by play guy was pretty good. The college game has some slightly different rules than the NHL, so it might have been helpful to talk about that for a non-hockey audience, too. the nature of the game, to some extent makes it tricky to identify players by team during play. For the most part I actually thought they were were a little sloppy with UConn, rarely identifying players other than Grogan while calling out individual Q players sort of like, "UConn controls the puck. Poked away by Conor Jones..." Another reason by the way I looked at them as the QU announcing team. Overall, though it was great to see this game on television. I hold out hope that maybe UConn can get a couple of games a year on SNY as they move forward. By the way, Latta's goal was sweet. He put a real nice move on that goalie who is a very good player. Grogan stopped a very similar play by the QU forward later. As UConn continues its upgrade, in some ways maybe this becomes the non-league rivalry more so than Yale.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think these guys have done a few Quinnipiac games, so they were more or less the Q announcers. I thought the play by play guy was pretty good. The college game has some slightly different rules than the NHL, so it might have been helpful to talk about that for a non-hockey audience, too. the nature of the game, to some extent makes it tricky to identify players by team during play. For the most part I actually thought they were were a little sloppy with UConn, rarely identifying players other than Grogan while calling out individual Q players sort of like, "UConn controls the puck. Poked away by Conor Jones..." Another reason by the way I looked at them as the QU announcing team. Overall, though it was great to see this game on television. I hold out hope that maybe UConn can get a couple of games a year on SNY as they move forward. By the way, Latta's goal was sweet. He put a real nice move on that goalie who is a very good player. Grogan stopped a very similar play by the QU forward later. As UConn continues its upgrade, in some ways maybe this becomes the non-league rivalry more so than Yale.

That and the fact that commercials were littered with Quinnipiac and MAAC advertisements with nary a one vis a vie UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom