UConn v. #11 Providence (2/4 & 2/7) | The Boneyard

UConn v. #11 Providence (2/4 & 2/7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Any chance UConn has at a first round bye comes down to this series. Team needs to come out of it with at least 3 points to have a legit chance at a bye. If Providence gets 3 points or a sweep it will kill any chance at a bye.

Grogan stood on his head last season to save 58 of 60 for the upset.

Pretty incredible that on February 4th UConn has an outside chance at a bye. Its a testament to the belief the team has in themselves.

Reaction Score
The home/home with Northeastern is going to be a key series as well. I like the way Cav has these kids taking it 1 game at a time.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
The way it should be in any sport one game at a time.

Reaction Score
If UConn splits with Providence they will be in pretty good shape. Getting a point will even help. Post Providence, the team's remaining 6 games are against teams behind them in the standings or only 1 point up (Northeastern [1 more game played]). So, to a certain degree, they control their own destiny. Merrimack and New Hampshire have to play BU twice and must play each other which limits (but also guarantees) some potential points. Maine has to play Merrimack twice and Northeastern twice. I agree with @FDNY99 that the series with Northeastern is really important because it could put us in 7th place and provide some added breathing room for finishing in the top 8. Merrimack is probably the biggest threat to displace us (root against them). In any event, hats off to coach Cav and the team that we are in the mix first year in.

Edit: I was referring to home ice advantage. A first round bye would be unbelievable and not out of the question since we are only 3 points out of it. Obviously, knocking down Providence would be key to getting there.

Last edited:

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Northeastern won it with 1:40 left in regulation.

63 years, 63 Beanpots, 0 Northeastern-Harvard Championship Games. That astounds me.

Reaction Score
Northeastern won it with 1:40 left in regulation.

63 years, 63 Beanpots, 0 Northeastern-Harvard Championship Games. That astounds me.
And, for the most part, pleases me! Nice win for NU.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
2-2 end of third. Off to OT.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Skate to a draw. Would have been a key win but have to take the point against a tough team.

Reaction Score
image.jpg
Gillies was able to get a stick on a shot that had him beat on a 2-1 (I think it was Norris off a pass from Richardson)...that would have put UCONN up 3-3 i. the 3rd. Good game..team played well..Nichols stood tall when he needed to. He made 2 GREAT saves and barely missed on the 3rd that went in the net for PC's 2nd goal.

Reaction Score
That was the biggest save of the game with about 7 minutes left in the third. Gillies had to reach behind him with his stick. If the Uconn forward got it up in the air it was a goal.

Reaction Score
That Gillies save would be top-10 on SC but UConn doesn't do highlights so no one will ever see it.

Good goal by Norris, he even said they we're going to start going in for him in the Anthony article. Nice to see we're getting production from all 4 lines.

Reaction Score
That was the biggest save of the game with about 7 minutes left in the third. Gillies had to reach behind him with his stick. If the Uconn forward got it up in the air it was a goal.

Or if he kept the shot short side, he shot more middle of the net than was ideal.

Reaction Score
They show all the highlights from each period on the big board between each period. I do not understand why they don't just combine all three periods into one video and upload it to their website. It would take two minutes.

Reaction Score
A couple things from tonight and the season overall:

1. Once again Nichols made some tremendous saves. Nichols is far and away the MVP of the team. He is capable of stealing a round in the playoffs.

2. This was UConn's seventh tie this season. It ties them with AIC for the national lead.

3. UConn is tied with Northeastern for 7th in Hockey East and now leads Merrimack by two points for home ice in the first round. Tuesday's matchup against MC is big for home ice in the first round.

Reaction Score
One thing I pid attention to tonight...Nass is starting to get marked...and rightly so with 10 goals this year. It seems to be opening up stuff for other guys to get chances.

Reaction Score
One thing I pid attention to tonight...Nass is starting to get marked...and rightly so with 10 goals this year. It seems to be opening up stuff for other guys to get chances.

Good point. I noticed some of the PC players were giving him some extra shots after the whistle too.

Reaction Score
View attachment 8391 Gillies was able to get a stick on a shot that had him beat on a 2-1 (I think it was Norris off a pass from Richardson)...that would have put UCONN up 3-3 i. the 3rd. Good game..team played well..Nichols stood tall when he needed to. He made 2 GREAT saves and barely missed on the 3rd that went in the net for PC's 2nd goal.

So close. I thought Wight was involved with that play, but I could be wrong.

Reaction Score
Aside from Merrimack (play at home on Tuesday) and UNH & NU (haven't played), UConn has at least a win or tie against every team in Hockey East. Not bad for a team picked to finish last. . .

Reaction Score
How come Bruce Marshall couldn't win? Floored with some hockey players in Russell C in the mid 90s.

Reaction Score
How come Bruce Marshall couldn't win? Floored with some hockey players in Russell C in the mid 90s.

He had occasional success. Not having scholarships was a limiting factor. Would he achieve the same level of success as Coach Cav has thus far in HE? Who knows for sure? Cav was able to secure exceptional freshmen scholarship players and he appears to be great at coaching up players. But, it is important to note that Marshall's seniors have been an important part of this year's accomplishments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom