UConn @ University Texas San Antonio - Opening Weekend | The Boneyard

UConn @ University Texas San Antonio - Opening Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConnBaseball12:50pm via Twitter Web Client
The Roadrunners one of five programs#UConn is scheduled to face for the first time in school history during 2016. First pitch at 7 p.m. ET

>>Beginning its search for its fourth NCAA Tournament berth in the last seven seasons, the University of Connecticut baseball team will open up the 2016 regular season with a three-game weekend series at UTSA out of Conference USA. The Huskies and Roadrunners will meet at Roadrunner Field on Friday, Feb. 19 at 7 p.m. before a 3 p.m. tilt on Feb. 20 and a 1 p.m. finale on Feb. 21.<<
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/021716aaa.html

Game Notes: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/conn/sports/m-basebl/auto_pdf/2015-16/misc_non_event/UTSA.pdf

Radio - WHUS 91.7

Reaction Score

UConn Baseball
@UConnBaseball

Let's roll! #UConn's starting lineup for game one (7 p.m. ET) at UTSA:pic.twitter.com/GhBeqQylFW
2:52 PM - 19 Feb 2016
CbnLxhQWEAIBXXG.jpg:small

Twitter
By: UConn Baseball @UConnBaseball

Ready for a big night. It's both opening day and my wife's birthday. Good thing for me that she is even daffier about UConn and baseball than I am, and that she wants to listen to Anthony Kay doing his thing. Otherwise, I'd be feeling rather conflicted.

Reaction Score
As long as Gnesda hits and DeRoche-Duffin is decent in the outfield, that solves a lot of preseason lineup issues.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
As long as Gnesda hits and DeRoche-Duffin is decent in the outfield, that solves a lot of preseason lineup issues.

I have no doubt that Gnesda will be able to step into the lineup seamlessly as Davey did two years ago. I wish I had the same confidence about JDD in the field - I'll definitely be watching his play closely.

Reaction Score
I have no doubt that Gnesda will be able to step into the lineup seamlessly as Davey did two years ago. I wish I had the same confidence about JDD in the field - I'll definitely be watching his play closely.

Coach Penders has been pretty confident about Gnesda's bat ever since he arrived, so I would agree the bigger key to this is JDD's outfield play.

Reaction Score
Don't know yet about his fielding, but DeRoche-Duffin's bat is starting the season right. 2nd inning homer makes it 1-0 UConn.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Don't know yet about his fielding, but DeRoche-Duffin's bat is starting the season right. 2nd inning homer makes it 1-0 UConn.

Just made his first putout without any fanfare.

Reaction Score
UTSA ties it up with a homer in the bottom of the second off of Kay.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Already two errors for Daniello. Am I too premature in proposing this, or would it be prudent to give Jack Lambrecht a couple of innings as a defensive replacement this series to see how he does?

Reaction Score
Already two errors for Daniello. Am I too premature in proposing this, or would it be prudent to give Jack Lambrecht a couple of innings as a defensive replacement this series to see how he does?

I like to subscribe many of the hiccups happening with UConn this weekend to not having played outside for a number of weeks due to the Connecticut winter. UConn is traditionally very sloppy (or more sloppy than usual) the first weekend of the season. It's a convenient excuse that I like to use for early games. Any win they get in the first weekend is a very good thing.

Don't get your hopes up for seeing Lambrecht play. On one of the Chris Jones preseason podcast interviews, the coach being interviewed mentioned that Lambrecht had had Tommy John surgery in the fall to clear up a continuing problem that he had in high school. At the time of the interview, Lambrecht had not yet been cleared to play.

Reaction Score
Kay gets out of a bases loaded jam in the 5th with the aid of a pick off (a Kay specialty) at 3rd and a strike out. That gives him 8 strike outs for the night. Kay has thrown quite a few pitches, so he may be good for maybe one more inning.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I like to subscribe many of the hiccups happening with UConn this weekend to not having played outside for a number of weeks due to the Connecticut winter. UConn is traditionally very sloppy (or more sloppy than usual) the first weekend of the season. It's a convenient excuse that I like to use for early games. Any win they get in the first weekend is a very good thing.

Don't get your hopes up for seeing Lambrecht play. On one of the Chris Jones preseason podcast interviews, the coach being interviewed mentioned that Lambrecht had had Tommy John surgery in the fall to clear up a continuing problem that he had in high school. At the time of the interview, Lambrecht had not yet been cleared to play.

Should've known about Lambrecht. Who does this make our backup middle infielder? Polonia going two ways maybe?

Reaction Score
Should've known about Lambrecht. Who does this make our backup middle infielder? Polonia going two ways maybe?

Polonia can play short, that was said in that Chris Jones podcast interview. Chris Jones also said that Yahn did well at 2B during summer ball, so that could be a possibility. Toppa and Buckley can play 3B if Yahn were to move to 2B.

Reaction Score
Another error for Daniello gives him 3 on the night, 4 for UConn overall. Yikes! Great play by Yahn at 3B to start a double play gets them out of the inning. Penders had been talking about Yahn's improved defense earlier in the week in his interview with Chris Jones. Have to figure that Kay will come out of the game next inning.

Reaction Score
1, 2, 3 inning for Devin Over in the 7th. Good to see. When Over is sharp, he is good indeed.

Reaction Score
Two solid innings for Devin Over. Need some offense in the 9th.

Reaction Score
Devin Over in to start a third inning, promptly gives up two hits for runners on 1st and 3rd in the 9th. Nico Darras coming in to pitch in a real jam.

Reaction Score
Darras gets two outs, and then gives up a wild pitch. Game over, UTSA wins.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to say anything other than get ready for another eventful season of UConn baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom