UCONN to Resume Relationship With BC in Basketball and Football | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UCONN to Resume Relationship With BC in Basketball and Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To the impartial observer it look's like you sent up the white flag but that's JMO!!Outside of that I think its a blood rivalry with the potential to be Backyard Brawl 2!!But too much power is in BC's hand's right now and hopefully if the B1G pick's you up the shoe will be on the other foot!!

For the record, the only flag I wave is blue and white :cool:

Reaction Score
SPOT ON!

Thank you. The suckers on this board think BC can be trusted. They have short memories. We'll schedule them in hoop and they'll tell us to GFO when it's time to talk football.

Unless I missed the posts, I can't remember seeing the one where someone said "I really trust BC now!" This is not about trust. This is about finally having the rival that the football team has always lacked. Don't tell me you were ever excited about the schedules we have played. Oh sure, there was a one-off game against Notre Dame, and the Michigan games, but there has never been that consistent "I hate you" school that Basketball always had (Cuse, Pitt).

I don't trust BC as far as I can throw them, and if Warde schedules any basketball games without a guaranteed home-home (coupled with a very expensive buyout), then no dice. I don't want to play them in basketball, because it is completely useless to me as a fan. UConn basketball doesn't need to play BC. If we want a garbage local team to pad the win column, we can call Quinnipiac, UHart, Providence, Sacred Heart, you get the idea.

However, the chance to rub their noses in how far we have come, and how we have surpassed them despite their best efforts, is something that I find inexcusable to pass up if the opportunity arises. If that makes me a sucker, I'd rather be in that camp than one that does not want the blood-hate game UConn football has desperately needed. We cry and moan about the fan's apathy here, and you know what, playing Pitt, Cuse, USF do not make the casual UConn fan feel compelled to go, watch, or care. However, BC, a school we all unanimously despise...we can all agree that fan apathy will not be a problem there.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
Get it done and let's bash the out of the eagles on the court and on the field!!!

I am past being mad at BC... they survived out of the BIg East while we are stuck here. I am ready to move on and just play them already. We need regional games since we are traveling the world for all the other ones.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
@I'd prefer not to comment on your reply though I respect everyone's opinion's your certainly entitled to yours BUT RU was ingrained in me since I was a newspaper boy in the early 60's delivering both the SL and Newark New's (now long defunct) and thru the 80's though not D1 were beating or tying on the road team's like Tenn, UF and giving Bama all they could handle in the Meadowland's b4 beating PSU in "88"!Obviously your very young "under 30" or weren't aware sir and I say this respectfully!Thank's for the reply and I apologize for the punctuation!
I'm 32 but I guess that's close enough for you? I really just had no one of my friends caring about RU growing up and we were all big college fb fans. I did go to a PSU game at the Meadowlands though can't recall if it's against RU or not and I'm thinking its after 88 as I went to State College for games every year and that year I saw them play Pitt.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

pj

Reaction Score
@This lack of respect is starting to sound more like pro-BC anti NY/Nj bias?Where did I hear garbage like that before?Oh yea..about BC.."WE don't care if we ever play BC again!!"Fool me once...

What lack of respect? Look, I see Rutgers and BC as our two best rivals. But I LIKE Rutgers. It's fun to play them and they are a measuring stick for us in football -- the closest public football power, the closest major recruiting territory, they are a recruiting rival, and they are now a step up from us conference wise, they're like the big brother you aspire to be like, and beating your big brother is a satisfying win. But I HATE BC, for keeping us out of the ACC and in general trying to sabotage us. And hate makes victory sweeter. A win over Rutgers is nice, but in the end it's only a win. A win over BC is revenge.

Reaction Score
UConn v BC highlights would be shown on NECN and Boston /New England local stations. No other UConn highlights are. Michigan will probably register but other than that we are the unknown program in New England. Never mind giving BC a needed platform, WE could use the exposure.

Reaction Score
I get your point but I as a NJ native and RU fan feel no one in NY/NJ care about a BC/UConn rivalry*at least yet* and Boston already don't watch BC!!Not to mention the fact NJ alone w/o the NY/PA and FF county fringes has as much population and exposure as Connecticut and Massachusetts together in a condensed area AND CARES about football which outside of Conn, NEngland don't!Either you want to claim your part of the NY/NJ market or just a pass by state going either to NY or Boston?The NY market is the stage that I would want caring and what stoked my interest in UConn football as before you came into the FB BE I cared little about BC and less about Connecticut's FB team!And remember this, it hasn't even happened yet and your already making BC fan's smile with your admittance of their relevance to you all ?UConn DOESN'T NEED BC to be relevant !! You can stand on your own two feet now! To the impartial observer it look's like you sent up the white flag but that's JMO!!Outside of that I think its a blood rivalry with the potential to be Backyard Brawl 2!!But too much power is in BC's hand's right now and hopefully if the B1G pick's you up the shoe will be on the other foot!!
Connecticut, much like New Jersey is divided between New York and Boston influences.
I'm from western Ct so we have a tendency to look to New York. Much like South Jersey =Philly

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
UConn v BC highlights would be shown on NECN and Boston /New England local stations. No other UConn highlights are. Michigan will probably register but other than that we are the unknown program in New England. Never mind giving BC a needed platform, WE could use the exposure.

I watch the simulcast of the D&C show almost every morning on NESN (When I can actually stand Gerry Callahan...i.e. he's not talking about politics). Almost without fail, the weather report between segments does not so much as even mention Hartford. They show it, but don't verbalize. The order typically is Springfield, Worcester, Providence, Boston, Burlington, Nashua, Portland, Bangor. I may be reading too much into it, but that goes to show the level of involvement that Boston stations think CT has in New England. In a way it's CT fault. It is more desirable to be associated with the Tri-State area than New England, where as recently as 2011, it was not even on a Travel website marketed toward European travelers.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I hate both Rutgers and BC and want to beat the snot out of both of them.

@As you should!!I look forward to the season where will both settle all feeling's between the hash mark's!!Till then as my niece say's..."hug's and kisses!"Ha ha..

Reaction Score
There is no way BC will agree to play UCONN in football. UCONN is the better team right now and BC knows it. BC will agree to play us in football once playing in the AAC has hurt our recruiting to a point where we have no chanc
e to win. BC will not play UCONN if there is any chance UCONN might win. Mark it down, BC will renew the series with us in football in 5 years, when we are fully entrenched as a mid major football team without any top local recruits. Basically, BC will just wait until we become a MAC /Conference USA level team, then they will agree to play us. It's all very sporting.

Reaction Score
@Good to see you have a sense of humor CTMike Ha ha I thought your original comment was a little heated but good for you!

Reaction Score
Why would any sporting team not want a good healthy even game?I can't stand the snobby bugger's on Chestnut hill nor do I trust them...what is it about Catholic school's that they NEED the upper hand?(and my mom's Irish catholic)I'm not biased about religion, just there wanting a handicap or take their ball home!!RU refused ND's insistence on playing football with them on their term's rather than equal term's!

Reaction Score
Too all the people on the board who have angst about the idea of scheduling with the BC Devil. Can you honestly say that if this deal did go down, that there wouldn't be a part of you deep down in your soul that would get exhilarated to see BC on the calendar knowing all the implications that come with the game? Whatever the context of the larger situation is, true rivalries could care less. I am a proud UConn alum, who also received a Masters degree from Michigan during the RichRod regime, and I can tell you that UMich fans got up for games against OSU and MSU even when the team was in the gutter (Michigan had lost something like 9 games in a row to OSU). Once it got to those game weeks, nothing else really mattered. That's how I feel about BC. Play them anywhere, anytime.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Can you honestly say that if this deal did go down, that there wouldn't be a part of you deep down in your soul that would get exhilarated to see BC on the calendar knowing all the implications that come with the game?

Yes.

Reaction Score
BCU is irrelevant.

They have completely fallen off the radar nationally and regionally (unless you're holding a hockey stick), if we can't beat them we stink.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well you should find another way to spend your time then, friend.

Somehow I've made it this far without needing BCU to get my soul exhilarated. But that's just me.

Reaction Score
BCU is irrelevant.

They have completely fallen off the radar nationally and regionally (unless you're holding a hockey stick), if we can't beat them we stink.

If they are so irrelevant why is it that I find a thread about them on the first page of one of these forums every time I sign on?

Reaction Score
Name me a BCS team that has a rivalry with a non-BCS school.
If this develops,it helps UCOnn tremendously.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Name me a BCS team that has a rivalry with a non-BCS school.
If this develops,it helps UCOnn tremendously.

WVU/Marshall. Now a BCS team that loses regularly to a non-BCS team, that's special.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
TCU is in the Big 12 and are rivals with our conferencemates, The Pony Excess of SMU.
Louisville (ACC) is rivals with Cinci (AAC)
BYU (Ind.) Plays Utah (Pac-12) in the Holy War every year.
Colorado (Pac 12)/Colorado State Rams (MWC)
Rice (CUSA) and Baylor (Big 12).

Reaction Score
According to some sources that reached out to BC's AD there have been no talks whatsoever about BC playing UCONN in football. Pretty sure it will be a long time before any deal is put together for football. I have heard that there may be a Hoops series, but that isn't finalized.

I asked Brad Bates, BC's AD, this morning at a charity event in Boston if BC will play UConn in basketball or football in the future. The first words out of his mouth was that BC is playing UConn in basketball this year in NY and he seemed excited about it. I asked him about games in Boston or CT in basketball or football and he said there are no current discussions going on. That said, he then said that he and Warde Manuel are good friends and have known each other a long time.

My take on the conversation was that the basketball game this year in NY is a baby step towards reestablishing a relationship and everyone will see how the game goes in NY this year before there is a next step.

Reaction Score
TCU is in the Big 12 and are rivals with our conferencemates, The Pony Excess of SMU.
Louisville (ACC) is rivals with Cinci (AAC)
BYU (Ind.) Plays Utah (Pac-12) in the Holy War every year.
Colorado (Pac 12)/Colorado State Rams (MWC)
Rice (CUSA) and Baylor (Big 12).

- TCU has a longer rivalry with Baylor (108 games) more than SMU (92)
- I think Louisville is a bigger rival with UK
- No way on Rice and Baylor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member