UCONN-Texas Post Game Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

UCONN-Texas Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What I mean by "tone" is that more or less your tone is "play the freshmen" at near any cost because basically you've given up on the some of the upperclassmen. Am I right? If not I apologize. But for example if it wasn't for Griffin, you think the freshmen such as Q or Ice or maybe togother could have won the game with quite a few less minutes from Griffin?

The point is-- that you have to win the game. UCONN doesn't win without Griffin and as result we are not 18 anymore but rated something much worse. That matters.

Ok I’m good and you’re right for the most part. I like Griffin and she brings a toughness others don’t. I also don’t think the freshmen would’ve “won the game” just think they will give them a better chance at some point. A couple veterans have hit their ceiling’s and it’s not enough to propel them to being good again. So I guess my point is “why not” see what you got?

But I get some have played for a while and many of you would think they don’t deserve to lose the minutes. I get that. But I think if you’re a premier program you don’t want mediocrity.

Reaction Score
Ok I’m good and you’re right for the most part. I like Griffin and she brings a toughness others don’t. I also don’t think the freshmen would’ve “won the game” just think they will give them a better chance at some point. A couple veterans have hit their ceiling’s and it’s not enough to propel them to being good again. So I guess my point is “why not” see what you got?

But I get some have played for a while and many of you would think they don’t deserve to lose the minutes. I get that. But I think if you’re a premier program you don’t want mediocrity.
I just don't believe thet Geno or the staff or the players believe that they are mediocre. Asa result, they are going to tr to win as much as they can. To get to the levels that they have achieved in their lives, they have to be uber-compettive. If Creighton can get to E8 just two years ago (and many of them probably have much better examples of what they have achived/overcome etc) , IMO the entire program and the better players don't believe they can't achieve better that at best S16 despite what us fans might think. I'll make an extreme exaggeration but imo they would rather cut off their own right arm rather than admit that they aren't a good team going forward. IMO they have to be given that chance. Coaches and players always talk about "how they have to fight for each other . . . " Well=- this is part of it. Sometimes things don;t go well but you still have to fight is what I believe they "live" by.

And as stated, Geno being the prefectionst that he is- imo he doesn't believe for1 second that he can't get to at least S16 using his methods. And with that attitude imo it's representative how he recruits. - -

Reaction Score
I think she’s simply overwhelmed by the speed and size of the other players. Remember she’s been away from the game basically since she graduated so I’m sure this foray into college ball is even tougher for her than if she were an incoming freshman. Bigs generally take longer than other players to adjust to the college game anyway and she is carrying the added baggage of both her long absence from the game, her freshman jitters and the pressure of knowing that her team is desperate for her contributions in the post! That’s a lot to deal with!
I have little doubt she will have a solid career here. We just have to have patience until the game begins to slow down for her. Not easy, I know but it has to come in it’s own time. She will make us all proud before it’s said and done.
And, like other “bigs” she is enamored with the mid-range and 3-ball more than banging down low

Reaction Score
I had read something Geno said about Patterson that I took to mean they thought she would be back by now. What procedure was done was never mentioned as is fairly common now.
ctkaiser- - -Ayanna Patterson had a knee procedure similar to what Morgan Tuck had back in 2014 (I think)!
It is a special, different, more complex knee operation from your usual style!
Morgan was lucky she was able to come back sooner than Ayanna seems to be in her recovery!

Reaction Score
My point to mau and my point to you is that there is no way a premiere College Program like UCONN with two potential All-Americans in which one could be at the flip-of-a switch the best player in WCBB going to have the attitu7de "to play for next year," As stated that is more unrealistic than Geno demanding the soph Tina double-double at halftime.

Many years ago my dad and I went to a UCONN game - we were playing Northeastern. We had a Program and had this written up article of Northeastern coach a guy named Calhoun. Before the game, I was surprised by all the awards he got that was stated in the article. I didn’t know of him before the game. Then when the game started I saw this non-Big East team play a style like a wild pack of dogs and the coach was even more wild than any player. I told my dad "That's the coach I want." I loved that we got him. I saw his team play a certain way - and I loved it. They (Northeastern) weren't going to win a title. But it was the style Calhoun the great coach he was demanded. I share the poster below that made comments about Jim Calhoun per the link I’ve provided on here from many years ago. .

Well Auriemma is of the same blood. If you or anyone else thinks it's in his blood or best for the team to to not want to demand the best with what he has rather than mostly looking into the future at this early of a time periods - then imo you are way off-base. Auriemma is going to want his team to play like a wild pack of dogs and try to bleed every win he can get out of them. And that is not the way that you and other are advocating. IMO it's contrary to what a premier college program would do.

The pros is different.

No one said that they should not still try to win the championship, only that Geno should play the young players as much as possible so they will get better faster! The truth is, this team is too damaged to expect to win the championship with the upper-classmen so play the young players more while still trying to win. Those young players will be the core of next year’s team so the more experience they get now, the better!

Reaction Score
No one said that they should not still try to win the championship, only that Geno should play the young players as much as possible so they will get better faster! The truth is, this team is too damaged to expect to win the championship with the upper-classmen so play the young players more while still trying to win. Those young players will be the core of next year’s team so the more experience they get now, the better!
But it's why I asked the question about Aubrey Griffin vs Kansas. What you're proposing is to give less minutes to Aubrey, correct? So, I asked the question ---> if it wasn't for Griffin, you think the freshmen such as Q or Ice or maybe togother could have won the game with quite a few less minutes from Griffin?

And if we lose that game too, then what's our ranking? Quite a bit worse that 18. And how much in rankings are you expecting to pick up once UCONN gets into the Big East without even beating Kansas?

Reaction Score
But it's why I asked the question about Aubrey Griffin vs Kansas. What you're proposing is to give less minutes to Aubrey, correct? So, I asked the question ---> if it wasn't for Griffin, you think the freshmen such as Q or Ice or maybe togother could have won the game with quite a few less minutes from Griffin?

And if we lose that game too, then what's our ranking? Quite a bit worse that 18. And how much in rankings are you expecting to pick up once UCONN gets into the Big East without even beating Kansas?
I am talking about playing the freshmen as much as possible while still trying to win. How that works out in specific playing time is obviously up to Geno. There will be many games as we get into conference play where the freshmen can likely be given more minutes without risking the game.

Reaction Score
And there are stories out now that Brink was quite ill for the Gonzaga game. As for UCONN " probably" getting Ducharme back and Patterson back, that may apply more to next season than this one. If Ducharme remains out for Ball state,, it is going to be a long term thing. And, likely, recurring. She probably needs a red shirt year. Do we know what procedure Patterson had, and exactly when it took place?
Getting either Carol or Yanna back this season would be a big surprise; having either of them play effectively would be an even bigger surprise.

Reaction Score
And, like other “bigs” she is enamored with the mid-range and 3-ball more than banging down low
I don't think I've ever seen Brink miss a mid range or arc shot. The game has changed; bigs are expected to shoot from deep. Five and out is the modern offense and when appleid correctly can be devastatingly effective. SC is virtually the only team left that throws the ball into the post and when Cardoso leaves, that offense will as well.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, mauconnfan is likely right. We are most likely playing mostly for next year at this point. Of course, it’s possible that we will develop into a real threat by March but realistically, it is more likely that this season is about getting our young players acclimated to the college game so we can hit the ground running next season! If that happens; our four freshmen are playing at a high level by the end of the season and our injured players are fully healthy next November, then 2024 could be a season to remember! Not giving up on this season, just being realistic. This is a year to watch our players grow. Anything beyond the sweet sixteen will be a pleasant surprise.
If UConn becomes a contender by tournament time, Paige has to take on the Diana Taurasi role from 2003. Diana sacrificed her numbers to get looks and extra experience for two talented freshmen, Barbara Turner and Ann Strothers. UConn had no business winning the NC after the graduation of Bird, Williams, Cash, and Jones. These 4 players went 1,2,4, and 6 in the previous WNBA draft, with Diana the real only great player left on the roster. She made sure these talented freshmen grew up fast, and as a result, won the NC not only in 2003, but also in 2004. This is how great players make great teachers, and for us to be able to compete this year, Paige has to take on Dianas role, as long as Geno realizes that and plays the freshmen more and more and makes them a permanent part of his line-up.

JBK

Reaction Score

Agree. Aubrey is a game changer but always seems to need her fire ignited in games. When she misses 3’s it seems to bother her. I hope we can play 8 players why not apply some pressure and get Aubrey in the open court. If not, we will see a lot of zones and dare Aubrey, Ice and Nika to shoot the three and that result may not be favorable because they will pack it in on AE.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Point taken but there are Boneyarders that seem to feel if Geno brings in an unknown 6-6 kid from, say, Middletown High School that UConn will be okey-dokey in rebounding against the Texas and South Carolina type teams.
How insulting. Geno doesn't have enough size in the program and it's OK to say so. If Geno's only actual choices were what he has now or adding " an unknown 6-6 kid from, say Middletown High School" then his recruiting is in trouble.

Reaction Score
If UConn becomes a contender by tournament time, Paige has to take on the Diana Taurasi role from 2003. Diana sacrificed her numbers to get looks and extra experience for two talented freshmen, Barbara Turner and Ann Strothers. UConn had no business winning the NC after the graduation of Bird, Williams, Cash, and Jones. These 4 players went 1,2,4, and 6 in the previous WNBA draft, with Diana the real only great player left on the roster. She made sure these talented freshmen grew up fast, and as a result, won the NC not only in 2003, but also in 2004. This is how great players make great teachers, and for us to be able to compete this year, Paige has to take on Dianas role, as long as Geno realizes that and plays the freshmen more and more and makes them a permanent part of his line-up.
Isn't that is what she has been doing right along and is being criticized for. I think your right about Geno wanting PB to be Diana but he wants / needs her to be the take over the game Diana, not the one that you describe.

Reaction Score
This year reminds me of 2002-03 where it was Taurasi, Maria Conlon, Jess Moore, and 4 talented freshmen. One huge difference from 20 years ago, though is that the top 10-15 ranked teams never worried about playing unranked team; parity simply didn’t exist. So, it was only a matter of getting by the few ranked teams on the schedule and then dominating the conference. Nowadays, fans are concerned about playing Creighton, Marquette, and Villanova, something that would have been unheard of back in 2002
But that season we had a healthy Diana Taurasi. This looks more like the season after Diana graduated. We lost 7 games in the regular season. But the next year we got Tina Charles. Don't see any likely AA coming in next season.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
But that season we had a healthy Diana Taurasi. This looks more like the season after Diana graduated. We lost 7 games in the regular season. But the next year we got Tina Charles. Don't see any likely AA coming in next season.
She was not healthy. She had a cracked vertebrae in her spine and actually had to sit out a game, vs Florida State, I believe.

Reaction Score
Allie Ziebell is an Azzi type shooter.

Reaction Score
I am talking about playing the freshmen as much as possible while still trying to win. How that works out in specific playing time is obviously up to Geno. There will be many games as we get into conference play where the freshmen can likely be given more minutes without risking the game.
I beleive in his mind he will play them "as much as possible." So we agree. Play to win as the top priority.
. That''s what my initial post was all about.

Last edited:

JBK

Reaction Score
I would say Nika is the heart and soul of the team and does so many good things, but would never call her an Elite 3 point shooter. If she was, she would be shooting a lot more than one a game. With very few attempts - stats can be misleading.
She has a very slow release and must be wide open to get it off
Just hope she can be a threat with a pull up or penetration every now and then to keep the defense honest.

Reaction Score
Just finished watching the game, and yes just like ucla and Kansas. This Texas team did not want mind putting people on the ground with no foul at all. I agree with Aubrey on the floor she is a go getter, and agree with KK and Ashland. Brady and Aleyah need to handle the paint. Paige needs more time with the team, in general. She is very talented. I believe that through all this they will come out the other side better. Baptism by fire. With it your true skills and person will come to the top. Again we do need Caroline. There has to be a way to help her more. She is a good presence on the floor. So win lose or draw, I stand with the uconn women's basketball team. 100% support. So all of us take a breath, relax and believe in uconn.
Go Huskies.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I'm not going to go back and read all of the previous 290+ posts, but was the subject of Paige's left thump basically not being taped for this game ever brought up? This has to be good news, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom