UCONN Student Section | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN Student Section

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Students are loud and enthusiastic for sure. They (and the band and cheerleaders) need to pay attention and make sure they aren't loud when UCONN's at the line of scrimmage. There was an offensive series in front of the student section with a loud "lets go Huskies" chant while we were on the line. Just takes some time to know when to crank it up.

Can we borrow/shamelessly steal the way BYU greeted their fans after the game? The fans went to the first row rail and the players high fived them as the left the field. I'd really like to see this at our away games. Singing the fight song with the fans after the Maryland game is the exception rather than the rule. I went to the UCF game last year; we got barely a wave or a raised helmet. My only away game this year will be Army. Curious to see how it goes.

Reaction Score
At least more than half of the student section was full during pre-game and at kickoff.

This was my view from section 223 at 6:45 last night. THIS makes me crazy.
THIS makes an equally bad impression when the broadcast begins with a pan of the stadium and you see the UCONN band and player family section filled, the almost full BYU section, and the diehards that got there on time, a half full student section, and the rest of the fans dressed as empty seats and bleachers.

Look, I get it that the traffic was horrific last night. We left Milford just before 3 and got to the Rent at 4. The WTIC traffic reporter listed tie up after accident after slowdown. It's the last holiday getaway of the summer. Understood.

When those factors are removed for next Saturday's noon start, or the Boise State game the following week, who'll be there for kickoff? The students or the folks who sit across from me? With all the pre-season buzz, Diaco's tour of the state to build excitement, I was really disappointed with the small crowd in the seats when the team took the field.

View attachment 6727

Ha. I found myself in that pic.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Students are loud and enthusiastic for sure. They (and the band and cheerleaders) need to pay attention and make sure they aren't loud when UCONN's at the line of scrimmage. There was an offensive series in front of the student section with a loud "lets go Huskies" chant while we were on the line. Just takes some time to know when to crank it up.

Can we borrow/shamelessly steal the way BYU greeted their fans after the game? The fans went to the first row rail and the players high fived them as the left the field. I'd really like to see this at our away games. Singing the fight song with the fans after the Maryland game is the exception rather than the rule. I went to the UCF game last year; we got barely a wave or a raised helmet. My only away game this year will be Army. Curious to see how it goes.

The high five line at the of the game was something, wasn't it? Started at the UCONN sideline section behind the scoreboard end zone and wrapped all the way around to the tunnel as the players left the field and entered the tunnel. BYU has some really good fans. I sit over by the visitors sections and they got LOUD at many points during the game but especially in the 2nd half after a good majority of our fans bailed.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I agree with most of this. The only problem is that this is how our student section looks at EVERY 3rd quarter except for 2-3 games since the Rent opened. Can we please change the G-damn bus schedule so that busses don't leave the stadium until 45 minutes AFTER the game ends?
Obvious answer Dooley. I wonder why this hasn't been corrected.

Reaction Score
UConn football is painful to watch. Watching our offense over the last few years has been like watching paint dry.

You're never going to get the students (or the crowd at large, for that matter) to stay until the end of the game if we're getting beat like a drum with no chance of mounting a comeback. You can get mad about it if you want to, but there's a certain point everyone gets to where "hey let's beat the traffic" becomes a more fun alternative to watching the game.

Reaction Score
Can we please change the G-damn bus schedule so that busses don't leave the stadium until 45 minutes AFTER the game ends?
Yeah! Let's trap em there like it's a prison, that'll teach them to LOVE UCONN FOOTBALL!

Actually it'll probably just prevent them from coming at all.

Reaction Score
I don't fully get the "blah blah bus blah blah 1/2 hour blah blah" argument. If you buy the tickets, buy the bus ticket, get on the bus why the hell are you only staying for a quarter or two and bailing? Get the pictures on your instagram feed and bail?

More of a commentary on the student situation at The Rent at large than last night. Sitting up in the young alumni section I'd say both students and young alums were very engaged (despite Young Alums forever being the drunkest section). You can't expect these kids to stick around for a game like last night. I saw "Neon Lumberjack" or w/e the Yard nicknamed the dude with big beard and neon knit hat who leads cheers at hoops games leaving after BYU scored their 5th TD and just about everyone followed him.

Reaction Score
I don't fully get the "blah blah bus blah blah 1/2 hour blah blah" argument. If you buy the tickets, buy the bus ticket, get on the bus why the hell are you only staying for a quarter or two and bailing? Get the pictures on your instagram feed and bail?

More of a commentary on the student situation at The Rent at large than last night. Sitting up in the young alumni section I'd say both students and young alums were very engaged (despite Young Alums forever being the drunkest section). You can't expect these kids to stick around for a game like last night. I saw "Neon Lumberjack" or w/e the Yard nicknamed the dude with big beard and neon knit hat who leads cheers at hoops games leaving after BYU scored their 5th TD and just about everyone followed him.

You are 100% right, but I've also seen the student section walk out during some very close games. 2012 Temple game that went into OT. No excuse to not stick around for that one.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Does anyone know when the first bus back to campus leaves the Rent?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think the deal is they just sit in the parking lot and leave once they're filled up whenever that may be.
New plan of attack. Have HuskyFanDan sabotage the buses, siphon gas out of them or slash tires. Forces students to stay until after game ends!

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score

The team sang with the band after the game, I was there. There were still a few fans, so I guess you can say they sang with the fans.

Reaction Score
RedSoloCup, I was there for the end of the BYU game too. My suggestion was for away games. The way the BYU team greeted and appeared to thank their fans at an away game was impressive.

Reaction Score
A big part of the problem is the bus service arranged by UConn and the AD. I don't recall exact specifics but busses start to leave, I'm pretty sure, right after halftime. Stop that and don't start them until the start of the 4th quarter and it'll get better.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How about if they take everyone's keys as they enter the stadium and you get them back after the game?

Turning people into psuedo-prisioners is only going to make them stay home all together.

Reaction Score
A big part of the problem is the bus service arranged by UConn and the AD. I don't recall exact specifics but busses start to leave, I'm pretty sure, right after halftime. Stop that and don't start them until the start of the 4th quarter and it'll get better.
This is a good idea. If you take the train (Metro North-New Haven Line) into Yankee Stadium, the train leaves 25-45 minutes after the game.

Reaction Score
The gripe I have about the student section is the shaking of car keys instead of cheering/yelling. I remember when they were the noisiest section, banging on the padding, stomping on the metal bleachers,and now we get tinkle, tinkle, tinkle. That is some harassment right there. Shame on them.

I complained about this a year ago and was told at least they are there, well so are the old people,most of them sit on their butts, don't cheer, but they tinkle too.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
How about if they take everyone's keys as they enter the stadium and you get them back after the game?

Turning people into psuedo-prisioners is only going to make them stay home all together.
<please turn on your irony detectors>

Just saying.... seems to work pretty well for North Korea.

corSt1.jpg

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
You are 100% right, but I've also seen the student section walk out during some very close games. 2012 Temple game that went into OT. No excuse to not stick around for that one.

Me too, hence this thread. Temple chose to go INTO the student section of OT in that game...which they won. In 99% of NCAAF stadiums across the country, the away team will choose to go AWAY from the student section and towards their own visitors sections. Granted, Temple didn't have many fans at that game but we had 2 rows of students left IN A TIE GAME. And this was in 2012, not last year, a year that we finished 5-7. One more win, we could have gone to a bowl game.

It's nigh time the student section is called out and I'm going to do it. It's been 10 years now at the Rent and we still haven't figured out how to keep students at the game, in any game - blowout or close. I have no idea if it's the bus schedule, the tailgating, the style of play, the weather, the lack of wi-fi, or general student apathy...but it needs to change and it needs to change ASAP.

I hope my picture taking challenge will either 1) prove me wrong or 2) the fact that they're being called out will motivate students to go and stay at the friggin' games. Again, the support for hoops is GREAT. I'm an ardent advocate for playing all home basketball games at Gampel completely because of the atmosphere at Gampel is 1000x better than XL thanks to the students. Gampel is a GREAT home-court advantage and one of the most feared gyms to play in the country. My hope is that the same student support will find its way to the Rent. We need to figure this out.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The gripe I have about the student section is the shaking of car keys instead of cheering/yelling. I remember when they were the noisiest section, banging on the padding, stomping on the metal bleachers,and now we get tinkle, tinkle, tinkle. That is some harassment right there. Shame on them.

I complained about this a year ago and was told at least they are there, well so are the old people,most of them sit on their butts, don't cheer, but they tinkle too.

No doubt about it. The keys thing has to go. It creates less decibels than a mouse fart. Get those big Husky paws together and clap the hell out of the opposition!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom